I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 12:22:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  depression
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: depression  (Read 13808 times)
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« on: April 16, 2007, 03:59:26 PM »

Hello,
I have a ? Do alot of you on dialysis suffer from depression? My son seems to be having a hard time. Just curious if any of you take any antidepressants? Also, how about the "NO SMoking"? Thought he had quit but come to find out he has cheated some. This is not a good thing cause he just had his transplant evaluation.

Lori mom to Dustin 21
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »

Depression effects everyone different. Kidney disease and the struggles for some people on dialysis is a very real denominator. Hope your son adjust in time but until he does depression will rear it's ugly head. Just try to be understanding and keep him interested in the things he likes to do.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 05:21:35 PM »

Yes, it does effect everyone differently, i can be as happy as can be and at the drop of a hat, (especially a commercial with joy or someone hurting or any animal happy or sad, i dont care if it is a cat food commercial) i am bawling like a baby.  You try and be as happy as you can on the outside but the inside knows better, i know mine does, and what is bad is what i just said, it releases at the most damndest times, lol,  i am not currently on any meds cuz my insurance does not cover anything in that field, grrrrrrr, so for now, i just try and grin and bear it,  but to be honest, since i have gotten my kitty, everything i used to worry about, i dont anymore, i just let my kitty walk all over me in bed and we just cuddle and purr and she bites the hell out of me  :P  but i love her anyways gosh darnit,     
About the smoking,  i was told they can test you for as far as 3 months back to see if you have any tobacco in your system, that is what my social worker told me,  i have not yet quit, i smoke 1 cigarette a day, sometimes even none, but even that 1 cigarette i just cant give up,  i know my day is coming to an end after i have that cigarette, and all is well, (for now that is) :P   Good luck to you and Dustin  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 05:38:06 PM »

Hubby has trouble with depression, anxiety and panic attacks on times. Like Goofynina said it just rears its head at times. He finds it helps if he keeps busy.  He finds winter the worst.  I keep telling him I think he has SADS(seasonal affective disorder).

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 05:52:06 PM »

Yes, as mentioned before keeping busy and doing the things you like can take your mind off things. Just a walk can work wonders. My little dog keeps me going from dawn to dusk. As far as smoking, I still have 4 a day, but I don't know how it affects transplant evaluation. Hope everything works out for him.

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 09:05:19 PM »

my husband is lucky- he quit smoking a year ago- but he also does suffer from depression and anxiety. He is on meds for both- they offered them many times before he took them, they said its very common for anyone who has such a life altering event such as beginnig dialysis, to suffer from depression.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
greeneyes

My name is Melissa...

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 10:43:24 PM »

yes i get depressed a lot of the time...well actually most of the time.. about the smoking part i wouldnt know because i dont smoke...but hope everything works out alright
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 11:08:28 PM »

Hi Melissa,  Welcome to ihatedialysis.com.  Can you please go to the introduce yourself section and tell us a little about yourself?  That would give us the opportunity to formally welcome you to our wonderful community.  Thank you..

Goofynina/Admin.

www.kidneyoogle.com
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 03:04:55 AM »

Its strange when you feel depressed because you know how you are feeling ,but cant do anything about it. I am also finding now that i am getting the anxiety and panic setting in . One thing i have found over here when you mention it to the medical staff is that they are just not interested if you feel depressed, no one will prescribe meds for it. You just get told to 'think positive' ...about what ???? I'm sure none of us want that big black cloud hanging over us . ::)

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
George Jung

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 08:36:27 AM »

Depression is normal.  Give him time to come out of it.  If HE wants to try meds thats fine but don't press the issue.  Same goes with the smoking.  Don't press it, don't focus on it.  When the time comes and he sorts out his priorities he will give up smoking or at least express that he wants to give it up.  My gateway out of depression started out with 4 months of "time" (the time was a necessity) and then a new hobby, building a r/c car-truck.  Working on the hobby gave my mind some time off and I liked it.  Since, I have been more socially active and started back at work part-time.  It surely is a difficult time and difficulty to deal with, just try to be patient and the caring mom you are.
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 12:24:03 PM »

I get the blues quite often, and anxiety also. My medical team is giving me some meds for the anxiety but I have to wait to get an appointment for the blues..... :(
Duane

I'm glad to be here.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 06:53:12 PM »

I'm loosing it and i've been loosing it before dialysis started. i started on dialysis 11/06 and never stopped smoking or drinking, in fact i'm sipping on some vodka/water and smoking now.

I'm battling with two voices in my mind all the time, what i should do verses what i wind up doing.

isolating myself more and becoming more of a loner except when i go to treatment. i get there and feel so vibrant and refreshed until you want to know anything about me then i shut down.

my few friends and family hardly see me anymore, partly because my license is suspended for minor traffic violations, i call them (profile stops that work). I was reading in the bible the other day and there were a few passages i believe God was revealing again to me. the passage basically said, obey all Government and Local Laws they are ordained by God even though some ungodly people work for the Government, the laws of the land are designed for order.

the other part of me  is still dealing with condemnation and i know that's not from God. Very hard to shake it off me.

I see a major part of my depression in my mind all the time. It's revealed to me all the right ways of doing everything and i do the opposite then i get angry at myself again and get deeper into my depression.

Who will deliver me from me. I always give God the chance to perform Grace on me but the enemy fights me in my mind all the time.

I strongly believe God has something major in store for me once i get past this depression of mine.

I even put my phone ringer on mute, cancel church appointments, men's group meetings, and dates.

any suggestions for me?

EDITED: Fixed Bold Prompt - Sluff/ Admin

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 08:08:16 PM by Sluff » Logged

1 Corinthians 9:24  In a race, everyone runs but only one person gets first prize. So run your race to win.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 08:08:39 PM »

There are times when all you can do is stand there and wonder if you are going to lose your mind when you are a dialysis patient. The diet, the fluid restrictions, the treatments day in and day out just seem to blend together into one montonous crazy life.  Be sure your son has some fun sometimes. Let it go and go ride a roller coaster, or go bike riding, or walking.  Have him write or do art projects.  Or just be himself for a few minutes. Do not judge him when he is down and out in his mind. Dialysis is HARD!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 08:35:14 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 08:13:16 PM »

I'm loosing it and i've been loosing it before dialysis started. i started on dialysis 11/06 and never stopped smoking or drinking, in fact i'm sipping on some vodka/water and smoking now.

I'm battling with two voices in my mind all the time, what i should do verses what i wind up doing.

isolating myself more and becoming more of a loner except when i go to treatment. i get there and feel so vibrant and refreshed until you want to know anything about me then i shut down.

my few friends and family hardly see me anymore, partly because my license is suspended for minor traffic violations, i call them (profile stops that work). I was reading in the bible the other day and there were a few passages i believe God was revealing again to me. the passage basically said, obey all Government and Local Laws they are ordained by God even though some ungodly people work for the Government, the laws of the land are designed for order.

the other part of me  is still dealing with condemnation and i know that's not from God. Very hard to shake it off me.

I see a major part of my depression in my mind all the time. It's revealed to me all the right ways of doing everything and i do the opposite then i get angry at myself again and get deeper into my depression.

Who will deliver me from me. I always give God the chance to perform Grace on me but the enemy fights me in my mind all the time.

I strongly believe God has something major in store for me once i get past this depression of mine.

I even put my phone ringer on mute, cancel church appointments, men's group meetings, and dates.

any suggestions for me?

EDITED: Fixed Bold Prompt - Sluff/ Admin

You took the first step by joining this site. I know it's hard at first but once you get comfortable with leaving posts, then try the chat room once in awhile. Thanks for being honest because that is so important on this site. We all are becoming a family, we call it our IHD family. You are now apart of this family. We look forward to your involvement. In the mean time the Bible is a good place to read.

I hope your membership here helps you in ways you least expect it.

Sluff
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 08:42:25 PM by Sluff » Logged
anja

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 08:32:33 PM »

:welcomesign;  Duane, glad you joined the community!  Most of the emotions you have involving dialysis are the same as the rest of us... We deal with them one day at a time, just like you do.  Don't get down on yourself, you are only human and we all make wrong decisions.  Again, one day, one issue at a time and it is easier~  Just like how you eat an elephant (so to speak)  one bite at a time!  Concentrate on the one good decision you made for yourself today and pat yourself on the back.  Then tomorrow do the same, only try to double the good decisions...before you know it you will be making all the right choices and feeling good about yourself.  It is worth it, YOU are worth it!  We are all here for you.   :grouphug;
George Jung

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 08:33:44 PM »

Please don't take this the wrong way but if someone suggested for me to go to an amusement park and ride rollercoasters a month ago (while experiencing severe depression) I would have told them to go and jump off a bridge.  I think I understand that suggesting physical and fun activities can be helpful but not if the depression is severe and the individual show no interest.  Finding someone just to talk to and listen to you helps.  Writing is a good idea but I doubt you should "have him" do anything.  It is a very delicate situation and things usually get worse before getting better.  There is a saying - You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.  When Dustin is thirsty he will find water, in the mean time you just need to be there for him when HE wants/needs you.  He is 21 years old not 12.  Treat him like a man and he will find his way.  He will let you know somehow if he needs something.  People have a basic will to live so at least give him ample time to do things his way before  trying top take over and save him.  I doubt he needs to be saved.
George Jung

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 10:14:20 AM »

Duane, I had a thought that worked to help lift me from some of the depression I was/am experiencing.  I have spent quite a bit of time with my friends 2 year old boy.  Being around him and playing cars with him has been very uplifting and has helped give me a reason to press on.  Maybe you could become involved in your church/community with some young people.  Life at their age is refreshing.  There are always children who need a person in their life to care about them and this is a relationship where everybody comes out a winner.  There are benefits for you and for the young people.  Maybe you could volunteer at the Y or something like that.  Christian may only be 2 but he is a wonderful friend.  If I don't come around for a couple of days he asks his daddy "where is George?" and that is a feeling that is priceless.  I don't ever want to not be there for him.  Keep your head up brother.
Duane

I'm glad to be here.

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 07:01:00 AM »

George, thanks for the uplifting message and i will keep my head up. spending time with various groups of people is the right thing to do.
Anja, glad to know i'm not in this alone. one issue at a time & concentrating on good decisions is good advise thanks. i'll try to be here for everyone as you are here for me also.
Sluff, thanks and thanks for including me into this family.

When i feel comfortable to be open, i will truly be open with life issues concerning me, i don't like to hold them inside me. i just have to be careful where i open up. :thx;

1 Corinthians 9:24  In a race, everyone runs but only one person gets first prize. So run your race to win.
Joanniebop

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 12:24:18 PM »

Hubby is also experiencing anxiety/depression. When he was  the hospital they took him off of Effexor which he had been taking for a few years for depression. Said it might contribute to his high blood pressure. They were supposed to prescribe something before he left the hospital but they did not.
Spoke to the PD nurse today , she told us to call his primary Dr. because the Neph Dr. won't be in till Wed.
He is really anxious so called his primary.
So, wondering if anyone on PD is taking particular anxiety drug?
Thanks

Joannie

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 12:46:07 PM »

Joannie, I am taking Lexapro for anxiety, at this point. That's all I'm taking,
so far it's helping with my anxiety, but necessarily the depression.  It's a start.
Joanniebop

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 01:03:11 PM »

Myss Anne, thanks so much for your reply.
I'll at least have something to go on, if the Dr. ever calls back.
George Jung

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 08:02:04 PM »

Lori, I was wondering how Dustin is doing.
tweetykiss

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2007, 11:52:40 AM »

My husband also suffers from depression and anxiety since his accident five years ago...not related to the kidneys......now he is confident and what is so ironic is that I am the one depressed being the fact that he may need dialysis.......

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
Duane

I'm glad to be here.

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 10:02:30 AM »

One thing i have found over here when you mention it to the medical staff is that they are just not interested if you feel depressed, no one will prescribe meds for it. You just get told to 'think positive' ...about what ???? I'm sure none of us want that big black cloud hanging over us . ::)

Depression is real for everyone, some just don't know they have it. Depression is what you talk to your Social Worker, Nephrologist or  family doctor to assist you with med's.

I'm slowly turning my depression into an assett and think positive about my depression like dialysis. I throw hints of forgetfulness and withdrawls with family and close friends so they will slowly adjust to understanding me more. i'm finding when they don't know something is wrong and just see my responses unfavorable to them, now they can casually think back and understand the present about me better.

As a result my youngest sister is starting to understand my depression better and is learning to deal with me better, this she will share with her kids.

It's a positive.

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 01:20:35 PM »

Good for you Duane, even a little positivity is good for our souls.  Keep on keepin' on  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »