I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:50:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Stupid Things
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stupid Things  (Read 6375 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« on: February 21, 2017, 05:08:57 AM »

It may be Fate, or a total lack of Common Sense that makes some Guys do Stupid Things.

I am a Guy.  I have done Stupid Things. Some of those things I may not have been so aware at the time of the level of Stupidity involved.  But I soon learned.  And as a result I do NOT do that type of Stupid Thing again.  We tend to learn from our errors.

Some Guys do Stupid Things simply because they are Stupid.  They lack that little measure of common sense that most others have.  Most people KNOW that you do NOT use gasoline to start a fire, and you certainly do NOT pour gasoline on to an existing fire.  Yes, the effect can be glorious, but the harsh back=flash can also be devastating.

I have no Love for Insurance Companies.  I firmly believe they are not much more than a legalized form of extortion.  Pay me now and I'll make sure your store-front windows do not get broken tonight. Gone legit.  And spent Millions lobbying for Required  Insurance Laws forcing every car driver to buy into their scam.  Once they have you roped in and taking your money they have whole teams of attorneys devising ways to either flat out deny payment, or depreciate and devalue the claim until the actual pay-out is so low there is no way you can repair or replace the item damaged, lost, or stolen.  The Insurance Company is a lot like legalized gambling.  The odds are stacked against you, the House ALWAYS Wins.

This P.C. bit is a crock.  In attempts not to hurt any one person's 'feeling' everyone else has to suffer. Transgender?  B.S. you're sick.  Your brain is not functioning like a normal person.  You are certainly confused and needing professional counseling, and perhaps medication, to teach you what you didn't learn when you were still a child.

I am terribly sorry for the Child killed.  But it wasn't the gas can, it was her STUPID Father. Deciding to pour gasoline into a wood stove and try to light the fire.  A P.C. decision by the Court finding the manufacture liable for NOT having a flame arrester  on the can.

Gas cans have been used for over the 60 years that I have been alive.   Much like guns, they are an inanimate object. They can do NOTHING on their own.  It is the STUPID Human that picks it up and uses it in a manner it was NOT designed for.  And yet in this P.C. Society filled with greedy attorneys, someone ELSE must pay.  So they sue, and the Insurance Companies are held responsible for paying these outrageous punitive damage awards, because of the Stupid Thing done by a Guy.

This is wrong.  The Father should have been charged with Negligent Homicide of a Child.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/business/in-a-shuttered-gasoline-can-factory-the-two-sides-of-product-liability.html

sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:50:34 AM by cassandra » Logged
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 05:29:36 AM »

Yes its any idiots fault who pores gasoline on an open flame, but why did they not just put the wire mesh in place?  Manufactures have to deal with the fact that many people use their product and many people make bad choices. Once they had a problem with insurance companies dropping them for the lawsuits they should have just bit the bullet and figured out how to solve the problem for their customers.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 06:16:11 AM »

Two words.

Corporate Greed.

Some bean counter told them it would have an 'Annual Cost' and upper management says that's too much, forget it.  It would cut into the profit margin and they were not willing to give up any percentage of profit as their bonus was based on profits.  Bigger profit = bigger bonus.

Pure and simple Greed.   It gets us every time.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 06:32:40 AM »

Dad taught me as a little Kid how fire cannot pass through a screen.  I thought that a pretty cool thing how he showed me that.   There are a number of car fires that have been caused by a simple back-fire starting the carb on fire.  These could have been prevented with a simple scren but Detroit would not spend the few cents necessary to install them during manufacture.

I have done this on a  number of engines.  Not only preventing a fire I found the fuel stream at speed had to break into smaller droplets to pass through the screen, easily evaporating faster and more completely then without the screen.  Advantage?  More complete combustion.  More power.  The only time I got better mileage was if I had to down-size the fuel jets, otherwise only more torque from more complete combustion.  No more RPM than before, just better acceleration, more pulling power.

I've done this on a number of boats as well.  A few of those I did have to increase the prop pitch so to use the increased torque.

Most of these I did have to install a one inch carb spacer so to ensure there was adequate clearance for the butterflies not to touch and possibly hang open the throttle.  I wouldn't want to be responsible for sticking a throttle open.

One of the gasket companies took this idea and actually makes intake gaskets with screens.  They can be beneficial in preventing back-fires but not so much to increase torque as by the time the fuel gets to that point it should already be aerated.  Still, not a bad idea.  Maybe better to do both.

With the current injected engines there may not be any advantage at all.

As a 'Gearhead', I will always keep my Big Block El Camino'70 SS 396, with a carb.  I've had her since early 74, I ain't giving her up.  She has a screen. She did have a back-fire and burnt the hood with the previous owner.  Never again.

I've also put a screen on my '79 Harley.  It does make enough difference that I can feel it in the seat of my pants. I used a golf ball to form a nice half bowl, turned out rather well. I suspect the increased surface area to be at least equal in total air flow so not to have any possible restriction.  Like I said.  Total Gearhead.  Physics Major.  LOTS of Math.  Ain't never really had to use any of it much at all.  LOL

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:25:32 AM »

There are two problems with safety improving a product:

1.  The firm is making an admission that the existing product is unsafe.

2.  The firm opens itself up to additional liability claims if it does not recall all existing product, regardless of age.

The small aircraft industry (general aviation) was virtually sued out of existence.   The general aviation revitalization act of 1994 established a federal 18 year limit on product/part liability claims against small aircraft manufacturers, so if you buy an old Cessna you don't get a lottery ticket with it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:29:29 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 08:28:39 AM »

In the immediate case of the gas cans that would be a biggie.

A simple gasket with a screen would suffice.  However the MILLIONS of jugs they produced throughout their existence would be a killer.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 10:37:34 AM »

Transgender?  B.S. you're sick.  Your brain is not functioning like a normal person.  You are certainly confused and needing professional counseling, and perhaps medication, to teach you what you didn't learn when you were still a child.

This bothered me.  I'm surprised so many skipped over it. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone's brain if htey are transgender.  I'm bisexual.  Does that mean there's something wrong with my brain too?  Perhaps all us LGBTQ folks should be put in mental institutions like we used to be.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
LorinnPKD

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »

Yeah, I was staggered by that as well.

As a dialysis patient, I realize I benefit a great deal from people's compassion and benefit of the doubt.  It's the least we can do in our (often precarious) position to extend that same kind of compassion and understanding as much as we can to others, especially to those whose experiences are not our own.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 12:29:18 PM by LorinnPKD » Logged
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 08:56:29 PM »

Transgender?  B.S. you're sick.  Your brain is not functioning like a normal person.  You are certainly confused and needing professional counseling, and perhaps medication, to teach you what you didn't learn when you were still a child.

I'm confused.  Do you believe that your sexual orientation is something you've learned as a child?  Did you "learn" to be straight when you were a child?  Did they teach you that at school or something?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 10:05:40 PM »

Does that mean there's something wrong with my brain too?
Not at all.   Darwinism is producing enough straight people to assure continuation of the species, so gayness is not a problem except in the minds of people who have convinced themselves that they re hurt by people making choices they would not make for themselves.   
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 08:04:18 AM »

Simon Dog, I don't understand your comment about when "gayness" is a problem.  Could you explain it?  Thanks.

Also, so as not to get on the wrong track, there is a difference between sexual orientation and gender "assignment".  There is a vast difference between being bisexual and being transgender.  That said, I still don't believe that either is a result of not learning some special lesson as a child.  I just wanted to be clear.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 08:10:59 AM »

I must Apologize for allowing myself to breach the subject.  I let my mind spin far out of line, that should have been limited in an open forum.

I may not have made myself clear.  Self-mutilation, cutting, whether a person cuts themselves, or pays a surgeon to alter their physical body to the extent of 'changing' their sex, is not a 'natural' thing.  This is MY opinion.  Others may think differently, and that is O.K. as we are ALL entitled to our own opinion.  We can discuss our opinions and possibly make reasonable argument in support of our opinion and still be respected for who we each are as individuals.  That line is crossed when we attempt to suppress any one, or group, from expressing their beliefs in a civil manner.

More minor cosmetic surgery, i.e., nose jobs, tummy tuck, breast enhancement, even breast reductions, are very different than such a major changes as a sexual reorientation.

God, Allah, Buddha, Whom ever is the Ultimate Designer of Mankind, does not make 'Errors'.  I very firmly Believe that you are born as you are meant to be.  There had to be some kind of traumatic incident which is often so disturbing so to be memory repressed that drives a person to want to cut themselves so deeply as to totally alter their being, or die.

I never, ever, said these people should be isolated or put away any where.  These people need help, to find the true under laying cause of their problem within themselves.  In order for them to learn that they are perfectly acceptable just as they were created.  There is NO reason for them to be subjected to physical pain of surgical reorientation.  There is a HUGE difference between those that simply 'cross-dress' and those that subject themselves to the intense physical pain of MULTIPLE surgical procedures involved in changing sexual organs. Wouldn't this also be considered another form of self-mutilation? How could this in any way be considered 'natural'?

The do not need to be shunned, but need to be embraced, loved for who they really are in order for them to learn they really are someone that can be accepted and Loved, just as they are.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »

This is MY opinion.  Others may think differently, and that is O.K. as we are ALL entitled to our own opinion.
You may think so, but try saying that in a workplace in the DPRM and you will get warned or fired (if an employee) and brought up on charges by the MCAD (Mass Commission Against Discrimination) and/or forced to pay a hefty civil settlement if you are an employer and express that viewpoint to your staff.

The liberal agenda on LBGT/Transexual/Sex Change is for there to be one and only one acceptable opinion, just as there is currently only one permitted opinion on racial and religious equality.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 02:46:25 PM »

Then perhaps it is fortunate that this Grumpy Grampa is Retired. And rarely get out of the yard.  I don't associate with too many people, I often feel like I am surrounded by granola, many without the common sense God gave a Rabbit. Very few even bother to use a turn signal, just cut across a couple of lanes without the slightest bit of warning, causing unsuspecting drivers to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting them.  I fantasize about following them discretely, and flattening all of their tires, but for the sake of  my blood pressure I shake my head and drive on, careful for the next idiot.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 03:51:07 PM »

Transexuality is not really something for which either my or your "opinion" is even remotely relevant.  Of course we are all entitled to our opinions even when those opinions are not based in science or the in ability to imagine what it must feel like to want to be a different gender.

Any surgery that accompanies transition is not self-mutilation, for goodness sake!  For one thing, surgery is the very last (and not often opted for) phase of transition.  It can't be "self-mutilation" because you're not cutting yourself!    Surgery follows years of counselling and hormone treatment.

Nature (God?) makes mistakes all the time.  Why do you think miscarriages occur?  Did God make my son autistic?  Is autism a mistake?  Are congenital deformations mistakes?

I knew someone a lot time ago who was classified as female (she lived in my dorm) but was clearly male.  She "transitioned" to being male; this was 40 years ago, so it's not like this is a new "thing".  He was so much happier and was so much more comfortable in the world. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:13:15 PM by MooseMom » Logged

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 05:51:16 PM »

many without the common sense God gave a Rabbit.
Wabbits screw, eat vegetarian, and enjoy a peaceful conflict free lifestyle.   Sounds like common sense to me.

I hope the bunny that spent time in my yard last year comes back in the spring.
Transexuality is not really something for which either my or your "opinion" is even remotely relevant.
My opinion is that it should only matter to the transexual, but I believe people have the right to hold traditional beliefs (like teaching their kids that homosexuality is wrong, even though that is not a view I subscribe to) and not be held up to social scorn or condemnation for holding that viewpoint.   
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:54:06 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 09:31:59 PM »

Simon Dog, I agree with you entirely, ie, that people have the right to hold "traditional beliefs" and that the only opinion that should matter is that of the transgender person.  No one should be held up to social scorn or condemnation, neither those people who are transgender and want to use the bathroom in which they feel most comfortable nor the people with "traditional beliefs".  But who gets to decide which rights are granted and which are taken away?  Whose opinion wins?

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 05:41:52 AM »

..... the only opinion that should matter is that of the transgender person.  No one should be held up to social scorn or condemnation......

I have to agree with your both here.

Grandma always told me;

Opinions are like A-Holes, everybody has one.

If you cannot say anything nice about a particular person, keep your mouth shut.

While I may not agree with an individuals particular choice it is not up to me how that person lives their life unless or until their action begins to infringe on my life/space.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »