I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:30:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Quest Diagnostics and their "no courtesy draws" policy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quest Diagnostics and their "no courtesy draws" policy  (Read 5950 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: February 28, 2017, 04:27:33 PM »

I got a call from my PCP's nurse the other day telling me that they were unable to convince Quest to do a courtesy draw for my annual post-tx checkup.

This means that I will have to get a referral from my PCP giving me permission to get the draw done at my local hospital.

I have been going to Quest for all of my lab work for the past decade.  This includes the monthly draws required by Gift of Hope for the two years that I was on the list.

As I've said in previous posts, this decision by Quest Diagnostics to no longer do these draws puts an undue burden on not only me but on any other transplant patients who go to Quest on a regular basis.  It means more paperwork, an extra stick and having to travel to another location to get the bloodwork done that my tx center requires.

I realize that this may not sound like a big deal, but it signifies yet one more way in which some other entity is taking some modicum of control away from me, and I don't like it.

Quest Diagnostics surely makes enough money to continue offering this service.  It requires nothing more than filling an extra vial (supplied by me).  It can't cost them more than a penny, if that.

It seems random and thoughtless.

I'm not going down without a fight of some sort. 

First, I contacted their patient advocate; she was totally unaware of this change in policy.

Then, my PCP's office tried to intervene.  They were unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do next?

It's hard to be a lone voice against a big corporation.  Should I perhaps contact my congressional representative?

Should I write to the CEO of Quest Diagnostics?

Any ideas?

Thank you!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 10:18:59 PM »

Try to get your local newspaper to do a story on it.
SooMK

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 04:54:38 AM »

Maybe try posting on their Facebook page or other social media.

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 05:57:43 AM »

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do next?

I think the transplant centers need to work on this (as a group).  If the industry groups reached out to Quest with the treat that they can push their 100k plus people who get regular lab work somewhere else they might be able to get a change.

Second maybe you PCP has someone who is or is willing to get the required certification to pull lab work?  For a while my nephrologist's office assistant/person who takes your vitals was able to do it, but when she went to nursing school the replacement could not (but the Dr was certified).

Sorry I experienced the same troubles pre dialysis well on the list. I'm so happy that when I had to get monthly draws (prior to the wait list moving quarterly) I could do it at my nephrologist's office as long as the assistant was there.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 07:18:21 AM »

I would start a Facebook group and a petition on Change.org.  Then start promoting the heck out of them and get others to do so as well.  I'd be on board with helping. 

In the meantime, I know that Edward Hospital in Naperville does courtesy draws with no referral.  I just walk in their Central Lab on their main campus with my tubes and they put me in the system as a no charge draw.  No appointment necessary.  The last time, the phlebotomist was fascinated about the whole process as it was the first time she did a draw for an HLA test.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 08:27:38 AM »

When  my brother was tested as a possible donor, the local Fresenius clinic RN refused to draw his blood since he was not a patient registered to that clinic.   The local hospital was very helpful and took care of it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:29:52 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 08:38:39 AM »

When I went to the hospital out patient lab at my transplant hospital (not the transplant lab - they refused to do it there) for a monthly transplant waitlist blood draw they billed insurance something like $70.  I was able to go to another "reference lab" from that hospital and get it done for $35 but they would not bill insurance so I had to personally pay.  I feel this is something the transplant center should setup for people who are not on dialysis or need non dialysis related organs.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »

Thanks everyone for your replies.  They're very helpful.

1.  I have contacted Quest through their FB page.  We'll see if I get any reply.

2.  Quest does all of my other draws, so I see no reason why they can't spend the extra 4 seconds to fill one more vial that I supply and that I package and that I mail.  I am not asking them to do anything extra other than stick one more vial onto the needle that's already in my arm to draw blood for all of the other tests.

3.  Apparently there is no one at my PCP's office who is qualified to do a blood draw, which I find extraordinary.  My PCP is terrific, so I was taken aback by his lack of knowledge about the qualifications of his own staff.

4.  My tx lab is in another state.  My PCP swore that he would not make me have to go to Wisconsin to get one blood draw.  Getting a referral to go to my local hospital to have the draw done is the best he and his office manager could do.

5.  Yes, my local hospital CAN do it, but why should I have to go there when I've always had it done at Quest?  It seems to be such a random decision on their part.  It doesn't make sense.  It only serves to further burden their customers, and I don't see how they financially benefit.

6.  I can live with the inconvenience, but it's the principle here that counts to me.  I've NEVER had to go anywhere but Quest to have my monthly/annual labs done.  Of course, their lab has always done the testing whereas the courtesy draw goes to my tx center.  I just don't understand why they've decided to stop this service.  It doesn't make sense to me, and no one at Quest will tell me why.

Anyway, thanks again for your replies.  Does anyone else here get their monthly labs done at Quest, and if so, have you run into this problem with courtesy draws?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »

It only serves to further burden their customers, and I don't see how they financially benefit.
A courtesy draw exposes them to liability with no associated revenue.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 12:47:53 PM »

How does a courtesy draw expose them to any extra liability if there is already a needle in my arm drawing blood for labs that they DO perform?  The DSA is just one of many labs done on an annual basis.  The only difference is that the vial does not go to Quest, rather, it goes to my tx center.

They've done it for me in the past, so what do you think has changed?

I always packed the vial myself.  There is no liability exposure there.

I always mailed the vial myself.  There is no liability exposure there, either. 

Where do you see the extra layer of liability come from?

cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 07:54:04 PM »

Yes, my Quest in Naperville will not do the draws either.  I literally have to go across the street to the hospital to have my courtesy lab drawn.

Anyway, thanks again for your replies.  Does anyone else here get their monthly labs done at Quest, and if so, have you run into this problem with courtesy draws?
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 05:35:48 AM »

How about doing the blood draws yourself?  Those needles look far more manageable then dialysis needles for which numerous people are successful with self cannulation?

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 06:46:50 AM »

How about doing the blood draws yourself?  Those needles look far more manageable then dialysis needles for which numerous people are successful with self cannulation?
It is easy for many people, however, if your veins are tricky the rule "do not blood draw from the fistula arm" may prevent you from having easy access via unmodified vascalature.   The RN who manages my home care told me to never draw with a blood drawing needle since "I am not trained on that".  It's sort of like the military - until you have been trained on something, you don't know how to do it.

Now, you could bring your own tubes and withdraw consent for the Quest person to touch you once they have drawn their tubes (preventing them from removing the needle to drawing catheter so you can fill extra tubes yourself), but they might not invite you back for future draws if you do that.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:48:59 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 07:07:36 AM »

Personally I would find another lab, loss of patients would hit their bottom line.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »