I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:42:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Asthma
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Asthma  (Read 2864 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: February 01, 2017, 10:32:54 AM »

Thought I'd mention a new asthma medication/inhaler that I like for any of you who also have asthma. I could not imagine having an asthma attack during a dialysis treatment so I really feel for you guys. For many years I have used Ventolin as my rescue inhaler but recently switched to ProAir Respiclick. I had tried the regular ProAir (similiar to Ventolin) that is like a mist inhalant but that didn't work well enough for me. I was nervous about trying the Respiclick because it says it could take up to 5 minutes to work. When you can hardly breath, 5 minutes is a looong time! Well, I've been on Respiclick for a month now and for me, it works almost immediately and it's effects last much longer than other inhalers I've tried. After one dose, I can almost go all day without needing more. It is a powder that you inhale whereas other inhalers are more like a propellant or spray. Anyway, if any of you ever wondered about it I can tell you that it works great.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »

Thanx PT, I still use Ventolin when I have an attack, but I'll remember Respiclick for when I run out.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »

Ventolin and/or generic albuterol inhalers are great for rescue, but for long-term control you need to tame the inflammation that undlies the asthma and for that you need something like a steroid inhaler, e.g. Flovent.  If you find yourself using your rescue inhaler daily, you might want to think about a deeper solution that tackles the underlying inflammation.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »

I use Xopenx which is levbuterol a more heart friendly and it works as well as ventolin. 
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:17:36 PM »

My doctor recently switched me from Flovent twice a day to Breo Ellipta once a day and....WOW. What a difference! I can breath nearly normal now and go a lot longer before needing my rescue inhaler (ProAir RespiClick). I find myself breathing better and being able to do more. I still have to pace myself but can go a little longer. And I'm sleeping better. And the more I do, the more I am exercising my lungs and entire body so it is good for my Fibromyalgia. It feels good to be able to do some things again. Finally, I have hope and can take a breath without wheezing and choking. Started to hear myself sing the other day. That was progress, even if no one else heard me (or wanted to).  :rofl; I have the best doc, he refuses to give up on me.   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »