I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:40:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Drain bags
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drain bags  (Read 3084 times)
Tío Riñon

« on: January 11, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »

I've been using drain bags with my cycler for 5 years when I need to save the fluid for my adequacy test.  Yesterday when I requested some more bags, my nurse surprised me by asking if I wanted regular or manual.  When I asked what she was talking about?  She explained that there are two kinds.  The ones that I have been using and the manual which are intended for drains when the patient needs to disconnect unexpectedly or for an emergency.

I took a couple in case I might need them, but I'm trying to come up with a situation in which I would need to use a manual drain bag.  Usually I either do a bypass or stop the machine and put on a flexcap and minicap.

Has anyone used these manual bags?  If so, under what circumstances?

Thanks!
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:36:28 AM »

I've had times when my cycle went haywire and I had to stop treatment while I was full.  It was then that I had to do a manual drain out into a manual bag (I was already set up using the toilet to drain, not a drain bag.)

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »

Some medical procedures will require you to be 'dry'.  A manual drain bag would be needed to make that easy and safe from contamination.
sahern

Frozen in Alaska

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 01:44:30 PM »

We had the power go out the other night while I was doing PD.  It was out for around six hours so I used a manual bag to drain myself for the day.  When I travel now I make sure and have a drain bag just in case. 
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »

When I was on PD, I did one manual at work and drained after the prescribed time (in addition to the cycler at night).   I used a manual drain bag so I didn't have to trash a new bag of solution to drain.   It was also less cumbersome, and I actually managed to hide an in use drain bag under my desk during a meeting in my office.   (retired since then, on HD now)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »