I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:18:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Explanation for why people stop peeing on Hemo
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Explanation for why people stop peeing on Hemo  (Read 3115 times)
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« on: January 10, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »

New Clue May Explain Residual Renal Function Loss in HD Patients

CHICAGO—Decreased renal perfusion during hemodialysis (HD) could explain the loss of residual renal function (RRF) observed in HD patients, according to new study findings presented at the American Society of Nephrology's 2016 Kidney Week meeting.

“An acute drop in renal perfusion is observed during HD and is related to demonstrable organ injury in another vulnerable vascular bed,” investigators concluded in a poster presentation. “Cumulative exposure to circulatory stress may be a key pathophysiological factor in the loss of RRF observed in HD patients. Longitudinal studies are needed to examine whether amelioration of circulatory stress during HD helps to preserve RRF.”

In a study of 12 HD patients with a urine output less than 500 mL per 24 hours, a team led by Christopher W. McIntyre, MD, of the University of Western Ontario in London, tested whether intradialytic circulatory stress results in significant ischemic challenge to the remnant kidneys. The patients underwent renal imaging before, during, and after a dialysis session. Investigators used a novel dynamic-contrast imaging algorithm in conjunction with a latest-generation 256-slice computed tomography scanner to evaluate renal perfusion. They used echocardiography at baseline and prior to the end of dialysis to detect myocardial stunning, as a reference organ system for ischemic response to HD-induced circulatory stress, Dr McIntyre and his colleagues explained.

Baseline renal perfusion was markedly reduced (48.2 mL/min/100g) compared with normal control values. HD resulted in significant reduction in renal perfusion to 25.9 mL/min/100g at peak stress (3 hours), the researchers reported. Of the 11 patients in whom perfusion fell, 10 also exhibited myocardial stunning (more than 2 segments with greater than 20% reduction in longitudinal strain). The investigators did not observe stunning in the 1 patient whose renal perfusion did not fall.
http://www.renalandurologynews.com/kidney-week-2016/residual-renal-function-loss-in-hd-patients/article/573306/?DCMP=EMC-RENALUROLOGY_KIDNEY&cpn=&hmSubId=vstBR-rEvNs1&NID=&dl=0&spMailingID=16072402&spUserID=OTg5NTIxMTE1NjIS1&spJobID=920659183&spReportId=OTIwNjU5MTgzS0%3fmc_cid%3d60f4fb8ae7

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »

There is an 'Aha' moment near the end which sort of ties in with what I've been thinking.

The investigators did not observe stunning in the 1 patient whose renal perfusion did not fall.

The one patient that did not have sufficient fluid take-off to cause and event did not have a measurable impact on his existing kidney function.

I am still very new to Hemo.  Not even a month yet.  I have been very tightly controlling my fluids as we do not have a solid 'dry weight' yet.  We are close enough that I have had some nighttime leg cramping those nights after Dialysis.  But never been drawn down low enough for a blood pressure drop.   These pressure drops I suspect are the major cause of losing the remaining kidney function.

Now just how to prove that.

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »

I ve been on hemo for 4 years now,  for the last 4 years what I drink I eliminate the old fashioned way.  After my recent heart attack I began to have fluid problems because of a weakened heart filling my luzngs at night.  The solution was fluid limits, however as my heart is slowly recovering I am again going a lot.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »