I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:19:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Still about fluid control
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still about fluid control  (Read 12193 times)
BigDadii

« on: January 08, 2017, 01:57:59 PM »

I know that I have been asking for info on fluid restriction methods.
Here's another question
Does our body in jest or handle juice and or milk differently than water based fluids?

I can do anything through Christ Jesus
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »

Hi Bigdadii if you mean with 'our body', our bodies needing dialysis than I think our bodies handle any fluids the same, we retain them. I think that some foods like ginger or pepper make us maybe sweat more, so we loose some of those retained fluids through that.
That's just my opinion though, I haven't researched it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:17:34 AM by cassandra » Logged

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 03:01:25 PM »

According to this article, our bodies process milk differently than water. Read the part about digestion. I do know that my husband must count juice or milk towards his daily fluid intake. They say that anything that can be made or melted into liquid must be counted. One way he controls his fluid intake is by sucking on ice cubes instead of drinking a glass of water.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/529677-how-does-the-body-digest-milk/

Uh oh...this thread seems to be in the wrong place. Perhaps we ought to not post anymore to it until it is moved ??
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:05:16 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »

I know that I have been asking for info on fluid restriction methods.
Here's another question
Does our body in jest or handle juice and or milk differently than water based fluids?

This is a most interesting question as it also involves the water in which our daily food is being cooked ... and of which some of the water remains in the food ...
... I have often wondered whether or not there is really any precise answer to it ?

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 05:20:59 AM »

Uh oh...this thread seems to be in the wrong place. Perhaps we ought to not post anymore to it until it is moved ??

Thanx PT, I'll move it to 'general D' for now  ;D

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 05:22:30 AM »

Ever use a 'juicer'?   Fruits, vegetables, run through a juicer separating the heavier 'pulp', or fiber, from the liquid.  An impressive example of the hidden fluids in our diet.

Much the same can be said for meats.  Our body is something like 90% water.  Pretty much the same for a cow, pig, chicken.  Maybe slightly more for fish.   The circulating blood volume is really a small part of over-all weight.  But that has already been removed from those packaged meats brought home from the store.  Depending on how you cook it another small percentage is lost,  End result, at least 50% of the cook weight of most meats are water.

Between the meat, vegetables, and desert, we take in a lot of water.  Thus many are 'fluid restricted' to one liter, or less.

Minus what very small amount we breath out and alittle bit of sweat, it all has to be pulled off by Dialysis.
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:27:03 AM »

Minus what very small amount we breath out and alittle bit of sweat, it all has to be pulled off by Dialysis.

Or crying, or vomiting or diarrhea 😅

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 06:11:32 AM »

Thus many are 'fluid restricted' to one liter, or less.

When I started with dialysis a nurse made absolutely sure that I really understood
that my best "survival-kit" would be to really adhere precisely to my fluid-restrictions
because otherwise life could become very hard for my body to deal with kidney-failure and dialysis ...
Best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
beep

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 07:33:16 AM »

theres one sure fire way of  limiting the amount of flhid we consume.....its fairly drastic tho......stop drinking n eating altogether
I find it a lot easier to put up with dialysis , the nurses n the 4.5 hrs sessions   than adhering to a 1 lt limit per day fluid restriction.
I've heard one patient scream out"  I want to LIVE   I sick of surviving"   n really i agree with him
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:40:43 AM by beep » Logged
BigDadii

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »

@Kristina I've also wondered about eating soup like Ramen noodles or chillie (during the winter I like eating soup)

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 06:28:43 AM »

I had a bowl of Ramen yesterday.  I added an egg stirred in then cooked another couple of minutes to increase my protein.

Instead of having a mouthful of water for a drink later in the day I settled for an ice cube.
Michelle2016

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »

I eat ramen some times. But I don't put seasoning because of very high sodium.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »

You're forgetting that shit is wet.  In fact, diarrhea can be a source of dehydration in normal people.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »

I eat ramen some times. But I don't put seasoning because of very high sodium.

I saw this "content" on Facebook recently:
http://www.simpleorganiclife.org/this-is-what-happens-in-your-stomach-when-you-eat-packaged-ramen-noodl-1796296240.html
not only is it very high in sodium but it says you don't digest the ramen quickly so all the nasty chemicals leach into your body.  Don't know how legitimate the content is, but the sodium content is factual.  Also didn't watch the video.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »

Th3e sodium is absorbed quickly.  I rarely have Ramen, and that instance was immediately after Hemo, so I was as 'dry' as I could get.  Most times when I come out at that low weight I get leg cramps that night in bed.  Not after a bowl of Ramen.

The digestive slowness?  I don't think so.  As with most all pasta the hydration level is important.  Noodles not 'fully' hydrated will cause a thirstyness as they will absorb even more moisture in the stomach and intestines before beginning to decompose.  The matter cannot come apart until fully saturated.  This may be a reason some claim it slow to digest.  I haven't had that problem.  I cook it until ALL the water is absorbed and the noodle is fully swollen.  I rarely have a thirst afterwards.

I will find out again tomorrow when I step on the scale at Clinic just before I set my Happy A$$ into that chair just how badly I've gone over my fluid limit.   I think I'm still good. (Fingers Crossed).
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »

I eat ramen noodles and have never had a problem with them.. my labs show that I don't have to completely adhere to the diet.. I can cheat here and there and it's not going to affect me... I also keep several packets of the flavoring in my dialysis bag, for the days that my bp drops.. put the flavoring in a cup of hot water and drink it.. brings the bp back up very well

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 04:44:41 PM »

I suspect the added salts in the flavoring speed the water absorption into the circulating blood system, helping even out your low blood pressure.  The circulating blood has to be very carefully balanced water/salt/sugar or the elements cannot pass across the intestinal barrier.

Isn't it wonderful how some of us have managed to figure out these simple and easy methods of helping or body to withstand the rigors of dialysis?
thevijaysingh

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 06:41:16 PM »

No doubt the fluid counts in your daily limit (whether milk / juice) and cannot be an add-on to the water you already drink per day.

The only way our body would treat them differently is primarily based on what you consume at what time of the day.

Milk (full cream or otherwise) is heavier and takes a lot longer to digest and fruit juices may be something you might want to restrict and consult a dietician before adding it to your daily routine.

I am given to understand that juices are a more concentrated form of the fruit and have a higher potassium content and if it not fresh juice  out of a fruit then you also have to worry about preservatives and other harmful additives.

Regards,
Vijay Singh
+91 8130833005
BigDadii

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 11:08:48 PM »

All of that sounds good but not only am I eat Ramen I also have a big pot of chicken noodle soup. I only ate the noodles and chicken and the soup was so thick I don't think I took in that much fluid.
Oh Yea TAKE YOUR BINDERS and you don't have to worry about potassium.
I've been trying to drink like half a can of soda (now you're all gonna tell how bad soda is for you) or tea but soda already comes in a 12 oz can you can always refill your glass. Should I eat pop sickles instead of ice?

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 02:16:43 AM »

TAKE YOUR BINDERS and you don't have to worry about potassium.

Binders actually help with phosphorus, not potassium.. things like Renagel, tums, or calcium carbonate (I've taken all of these over the years) are phosphorus binders.. There may be potassium binders as well, but I've never heard of any

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 04:49:10 AM »

Home made chicken noodle soup can have far L:ESS salt than store bought.  You control the salt when making anything at home.

I also have searched for potassium binders.  My Clinic has given me a prescription and the VA Pharmacy filled it.  It is some liquid that IF the Clinic was closed for some reason and I were to miss too many treatment only then I would be directed how much and how often to take this in attempt to either remove or prevent the absorption of some potassium from my meals.  I should look again and post the name of this stuff.

I often eonder why we shouldn't use something like this at every meal.  At least for those of us that tend to run high.
KatieV

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 06:36:16 AM »

I often eonder why we shouldn't use something like this at every meal.  At least for those of us that tend to run high.

Because Kayexalate is horrible, nasty stuff!   :puke; 

~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2007 - Brother diagnosed with ESRD, started dialysis 3 days later
April 2007 - Myself and sister also diagnosed with Senior-Loken Syndrome (Juvenile Nephronophthisis and Retintis Pigmentosa)

Since then, I've tried PD three times unsuccessfully, done In-Center hemo, NxStage short daily, Nocturnal NxStage, and had two transplants.  Currently doing NxStage short daily while waiting for a third transplant.

Married Sept. 2011 to my wonderful husband, James, who jumped into NxStage training only 51 days after our wedding!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
BigDadii

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »

:wine; :wine;
[/b]
TAKE YOUR BINDERS and you don't have to worry about potassium.

Binders actually help with phosphorus, not potassium.. things like Renagel, tums, or calcium carbonate (I've taken all of these over the years) are phosphorus binders.. There may be potassium binders as well, but I've never heard of any
My bad you're right the binders are for phosphorus... I take Renagel ... Now
Lets talk about alcohol and apple sauce. I was told by a tech that I can eat as much apple sauce as I want. Where is the fluid in that and what fruits can we eat without counting the fluid intake also are wine spritzers a good way to drink alcohol and and lets talk about beer. I don't know if you have a Kroger's grocery store near by they have a bar/beer tasting... I would like to participate... talk to me :twocents;

Angiepkd

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »

BigDadii, I feel your pain!  This is the first time I have done in-center hemo (did NxStage home hemo prior to transplant), and I am struggling with fluids, potassium and phosphorus. I wish there was a magic fix for all of these things, but I haven't found one. I drink one soda per day (my only treat since I don't drink coffee) and the rest of the time eat ice chips. I also drink a few sips of water with my meds. Other than that, all of my fluid must come from the food I eat. I try to avoid soups, etc., but do eat the occasional Popsicle and fruits/veggies. I still gain 2+ kg between treatments, closer to 4 after my 2 days off. It is frustrating and depressing. Both phosphorus and potassium were high last time I had labs. I broke out my Davita cookbook this weekend, so I'm hoping the numbers get better. I would think the beer tasting would be out of the question for me. But it sure sounds good!  I would also think applesauce would contribute to fluid intake, but maybe not as much as soup or Popsicles. It's really hard to figure out the liquids for me. Good luck, and I hope you can manage to try the beers!  :beer1;

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 09:34:19 PM »

Because Kayexalate is horrible, nasty stuff!   :puke;

TRUTH!!  It's absolutely disgusting.  When I was a kid, we were made to drink these drinks, we called it "formula."  It was a mix of something like Ensure or Boost with Kayexalate and some kind of protein powder.  It was horrible, and I hated it.  I was lucky enough that I didn't need to drink it when I was home, because I ate well enough I didn't need it, but I refused to eat hospital food, so I had to drink it when I was in the hospital.

I don't know if you have a Kroger's grocery store near by they have a bar/beer tasting... I would like to participate... talk to me :twocents;

I was told that if you are going to drink alcohol, you should probably stick to hard liquors like rum or vodka.  Beer, because of how it's made, is high in phosphorus, plus, it's got a lot of sugar in it, if you are diabetic.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »