I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:31:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  It starts now.. Surgery upcoming
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It starts now.. Surgery upcoming  (Read 4346 times)
ZenaBG

« on: January 05, 2017, 04:58:30 AM »

Yesterday I had my appointment with my Surgeon.  My surgery is set for 1-16-17 .  The Surgeon has previously operated on my and I trust him.  This is a positive for me beings as I normally distrust Dr.'s in general. 
He is a very nice man and quite thorough.  This surgery however is getting me nervous as can be.  The vein mapping went horribly wrong. The technicians were unable to find a vein to inject the contrast so only
the ultra sound/doppler portion was completed.  The way the Surgeon explained it to me was that this surgery is done in two parts.  I really would like to know what your experience has been with this. Do I have
cause to be worried?  Is this a reason to be anxious ?  I am looking for some answers or information about having a fistula in.  Oh, this was the other part, he stated that I may wake up with the beginning of a Fistula,
graph of a Cath in my collarbone. Going in I have no clear answer just a few more questions.  Is this normal?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.. Thanx all.

:thx;        :flower;

Positivity only...I can do this
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 06:01:28 AM »

It sounds like you are getting a more complex fistula since you are getting two surgeries to my one.  I think the two part surgery might be done where they have less or smaller veins to work with.  I was out during the surgery and don't remember much other than arriving at the hospital very early.  When I left the hospital (Friday) I had pain pills that knocked me out for about two days and I was back at work on Monday.  I do recall being a bit worried about an international flight a few weeks after the surgery (i.e. would it pop my arm open) but it was ok to fly and all went well.

Living with a fistula is no big deal to me, but the fistula itself grew large.  I'd say the fistula is a raised worm in my arm that is at least 1/2 an inch in height and about 2.5 inches long.  I don't really notice it day to day.  I do hear the blood throbbing at night if I place my arm so it hits the pillow.  A few times I've started to have some acing after dialysis in the arm/fistula and a visit to the vein clinic cleared that out with some angioplasty to balloon out places that were getting tight.  I've been able to work after visits to the vein clinic despite falling asleep when they numb the arm or put me down to do the angioplasty.

Appearance wise its not as nasty looking as what you would find on Google photos but it is extremely obvious.  Since its on my arm its visible when I ware short sleeves but I don't worry about that.  At times I'll wear a polo to work and just ignore the fact that people will see it.  I could see someone who values their appearance would have issue with how it looks.  But as always life is more valuable than appearance.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:32:15 AM »

I've had people ask if I have a broken arm because of the lump.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 01:01:27 PM »

Zena how did you get on?

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
ZenaBG

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 03:44:54 AM »

Good Morning!

I had my surgery last Monday 1-16-17 and I was kept overnight because Surgeon did the complete surgery in one step.  There were 6 Dr's attempting to find a vein just to put me to sleep .
After they found a spot to put me to sleep it too 3 additional Dr.'s & 3 technicians to find good enough vein to put an intravenous in.  Then they scrambled to try & get a intravenous in my 
surgery arm to do the 2nd part of the vein mapping.  Once that was completed they decided to do both surgeries in one step ..their thought process was they may not get a 2nd chance.
They were 5 minutes from a central line & thank G-d they were able.

Now it's been 10 days & I'm in quite a bot of pain but thankful, grateful to have it done.  I have a Nurse come in daily to change bandages .  An Occupational & Physical Therapist also
come by to assist me.  I'm wondering have you also had this?  It is a great help .. just wondering.  One day the Nurse cut my bracelt by accident, Does anyone know how or wear to get more?
I am so thankful for this Group.  Have a wonderful day.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 08:27:05 AM »

What bracelet are you referring to?

What exactly did they do with your fistula surgery?  It was obviously a LOT more complex than mine that was done in one step (never discussed two) on an outpatient basis only, changed my own bandages, and went home right after the operation.
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 01:15:57 PM »

Glad to hear you're sounding okay. I've had only 'simple' fistula ops. The complicated one was abandoned. And I'm with Simon, what bracelet do you mean?

I hope your pain subsides soon.

Love, luck and strength, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 02:13:45 PM »

If it was the hospital ID bracelet and you are an in-patient, your RN will know how to get you another.  Just be sure the replacement has the right name and ID number on it.   You should not be able to get any meds given, or blood draws taken, without the staff checking the ID bracelet each time, so all hell should break loose if they come in and you are not tagged.

Also, watch out if they put a purple bracelet on you.   This color often means "Do not resuscitate (DNR)" order is on file for you; not to be confused with a lavendar/pink "restricted extremity" bracelent that is commonly put on a fistula arm to indicate blood draws from the other arm.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 08:40:17 PM »

When I was in the hospital I had a number of warning bracelets on my fistula arm, do not place BP cuff on this arm, diallysis patient,cardiac patient, and finally patient has implanted icd

sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:16:24 AM by cassandra » Logged
ZenaBG

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 06:04:07 AM »

I want to thank everyone for your responses. The bracelet I am speaking of is a simple red rubber bracelet that states No BP's-IV's-LAB DRAWS
Nothing at all fancy, I was told not to ever take it off & then one of the Nurses accidentally cut it when she cut my bandage off.
The place I got it was at the vein mapping place.  They gave me the bracelet & a star shaped thing to start using after surgery. (like squeezing the star instead of a ball)
I don't really think I need a fancier band.
Any suggestions?
Today I am supposed to get more sutures out but now I have the flu & sick as a dog on top of everything else. UHG

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 09:46:26 AM »

O o I hope you feel better soon

:flower;

Love, luck and strength, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 11:10:52 AM »

A phone call to where=ever you had the vein mapping done, telling them that bracelet was damaged may help you get a replacement from them.

I have an appt for the doppler vein mapping.  I asked if they planned on using contrast and was told no.  Waiting, wondering.

I did have a pleasant surprise last Fri.  I met the third Dr at my new Hemp Clinic and talking with him told I was scheduled for the mapping and later appt with the Vascular Surgeon, the same guy tht put in my PD Cath years ago.  When I told his name the new Dr told me he knew of him.  Evidently Dr Nichols has quite a reputation, he is the one that originally designed the PD Cath there at the University Of Columbia, MO back in the 70's when the 3 Dr team their first came up with the PD system still widely used today.   I was tickled to think that I have such a well known Dr.  I must be 'Special'.  But I do NOT lick the windows in the bus.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »

There are various conventions for that bracelet.  At one hospital I use, the convention is a red paper/plastic band (like the ID band) labeled "restricted extremity".   Double check if they ever give you a purple bracelet .... that is frequently used for DNR patients.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »