I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  need info
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need info  (Read 3518 times)
babycake

« on: January 03, 2017, 09:18:03 PM »

i was in the hospitol
back in september
which i had a bactral infection
call c-deff
and i was on anitibiotics
from that

well resently
within the last week
i notice  a infected bump
by my left breast
first i thought
it was a a calcuim deposit
for i have them
on my legs for years
then i thought a spider bite
then  i totally felt  a calcuim deposit
my reg doc sent me
over to see the surgeion
and he drain it.. as it was a puss pocket
he ran a culture
and left a message stating
it was marsa....
while i was in the hospitol
in september they said something about
marsa but never said i had it
how on earth did i get this now
and how long does it take
for it to actually show up

and is c-deff a form of marsa
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 04:43:54 AM »

I don't know the technical name for mersa.  It is a bug that is very resistant to treatment.  I did NOT say that it cannot be treated, only that treatment must follow strict guidelines and for a much longer time than many standard infections.

Now that it has been identified they will begin the correct antibiotic.

Follow Dr's order carefully.  You do not want to extend this, nor spread it to anyone else.

Mersa is easily transferred from one patient to another.  Most likely by the simple touch of a person in contact with an infectious patient or something that patient had very recently touched.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 04:46:36 AM »

Many hospitalls used to take a nasal swab upon admission testing for mersa.

Swabs were repeated upon discharge.

I don't know why but IIRC the VA has stopped doing one of these.  I think that is a mistake that should be corrected.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 05:05:45 AM »

Many foreign dialysis centers ask for a MRSA test.  Its always been a pain to get the MRSA test, in the end i usually have to go to a lab in the hospital.  None of the commercial labs will do the swab tests in their facilities. If I was going to a doctor frequently I probably could get it done in the DRs office. They obviously are much more worried about it in other countries as compared to the US.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:58:17 AM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
KatieV

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 05:37:52 AM »

At my dialysis center everyone gets swabbed for MERSA quarterly (I believe) - both in-center and home patients.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2007 - Brother diagnosed with ESRD, started dialysis 3 days later
April 2007 - Myself and sister also diagnosed with Senior-Loken Syndrome (Juvenile Nephronophthisis and Retintis Pigmentosa)

Since then, I've tried PD three times unsuccessfully, done In-Center hemo, NxStage short daily, Nocturnal NxStage, and had two transplants.  Currently doing NxStage short daily while waiting for a third transplant.

Married Sept. 2011 to my wonderful husband, James, who jumped into NxStage training only 51 days after our wedding!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 07:13:51 AM »

It's generally referred to as MRSA and stands for Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mrsa/basics/definition/con-20024479
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »

We are swabbed for MRSA and VRE every six months, and after being in hospital out of province.  I usually have it done before and after I go on vacation too, before I go because the dialysis center I'll be visiting wants it, and coming back because my home dialysis center wants it. *G*

When I was in the hospital, back in 2013 (I think, my brain doesn't judge time that well anymore. Old age setting in? *L*) to have my gallbladder removed, I was exposed to MRSA because the room I was in wasn't properly cleaned after the last patient was discharged.  The swab that had been done on her didn't come back until after she'd gone home.  I was incredibly angry about this, and I figured my days of traveling were over.  It took a couple of weeks and many negative swabs, but I was deemed free of MRSA.  I'm still not impressed with the hospital, and the sad part is, that my dialysis unit is in that hospital.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »