I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:12:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  vitamix
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: vitamix  (Read 4817 times)
trenton6013

« on: January 01, 2017, 10:07:08 AM »

anyone here use a vitamix??  I just got one from qvc in lemongrass and have been amazed at how quickly it can dice, chop, and mix ingredients.  I've been using it as my chopper and food processor on the pulse setting and amazed at how quickly it can dice a full onion, 6 tomatillos, 1 entire clove of garlic, roasted red peppers in like 1-2 seconds.  If I did it by hand, it would be taking me about a half an hour on a cutting board.

I have tried making my own vegan ice cream with frozen Almond Breeze and a sorbet using frozen strawberries and frozen blueberries which came out great.  I want to try making a thick soup or a sauce and clean up is such a breeze too!!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:32:36 AM by trenton6013 » Logged
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:57:17 PM »

Yowza! Vitamix seems a bit pricey for hubby and I but I'd like to get some sort of food processor. Probably something from wallyworld. Right now the processor we use is getting tired hands...

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
trenton6013

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 11:22:36 PM »

I got it from qvc which has easy payments.  I got it before the xmas rush so it was 6 easy payments of $88.16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 05:00:43 AM »

We have a couple of old blenders that still work very well.

A couple of different food processors that will slice and dice with a quickness.

She recently bought a Magic Bullet Blender.  I haven't let her bring it in from the garage until she clears sufficient counter space to use it.

I will soon be playing with a blender again making fruity drinks allowed on Hemo that I can add protein powder to.  I will have to figure out how much and how often to stay well within the fluid guidelines.

I think it strange how some fresh fruits should be avoided but the same fruit CANNED is allowed.  I guess the rinsing and cooking during canning has washed out much of the potassium and/or phosphorus..  So I may be using more peaches and pears in the blender to provide moisture for the protein powder.

I will simply have to learn to like it.     Good thing I grew up in and around the orchards, I LIKE fresh fruit.  My biggest problem is the soft fruit in the stores are NOT ripe.  Most are picked slightly green, not fully ripened or they would be too soft to transport.  They bruise too easily.  Most people not from the region do not know the difference.   Trust me, there is a major difference.   If you ever grew your own tomatos you should know.  Those fully ripened tomatos from home are so much farther better than any store-bought tomato.  There is simply NO comparison.     The same with fruits.

trenton6013

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 09:06:13 PM »

fresh fruit is always better than canned but if you go with canned, it's good to go with ones stored in water not syrup
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 05:58:34 AM »

My wife got a vitamix from Costco a few years ago.  She will sporadically make smoothies.  I use it at time when cooking to do things like blend half a vegetable soup so it gets thicker or make a dressing of some type with lots of fresh stuff and garlic.  Its good quality but I wonder if you couldn't get the same blending quality for less.  Its made to last but real life home use in our home is under once per week, so something less quality probably would work for us.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 06:03:02 AM »

i think they are seriously overpriced and hyped.  I could see wanting on if I were a serious food blogger.  But my Cuisinart blender does a good job for my use.  At about 1/4 the price.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 08:33:50 AM »

Trenton,

Check with your Dietician about which fresh fruits are allowed and which fruits are better canned.  There is a big difference in the phosphorus and potassium.
nursey66

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 09:52:06 AM »

Vitamix is a great machine,  our Doctor who teaches nutrition classes recommended it and we got one. Does everything it promised.
trenton6013

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 06:56:06 PM »

Trenton,

Check with your Dietician about which fresh fruits are allowed and which fruits are better canned.  There is a big difference in the phosphorus and potassium.

I've only used fresh fruits with my vitamix.  Have not really chosen to use canned fruits as they're not fresh and with fresh fruits, i can determine how much I can put in the vitamix jar
trenton6013

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 06:57:38 PM »

i think they are seriously overpriced and hyped.  I could see wanting on if I were a serious food blogger.  But my Cuisinart blender does a good job for my use.  At about 1/4 the price.

but then of course your cuisinart only has a 1 year warranty and does cuisinart offer free shipping both ways when it needs repair??  Vitamix if you get them new, offer a 7 year warranty, a 5 year on the reconditioned models
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 06:49:31 AM »

your cuisinart only has a 1 year warranty and does cuisinart offer free shipping both ways when it needs repair??

It has never needed a repair. It's a workhorse.  I've had it for years.  And I cook a lot.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 07:39:48 AM »

For many years I have been taking "Wellkid" which contains minerals, Vitamins etc. for kids to grow-up well
and since this has been produced for kids, I thought it might be gentle & caring enough for me as well and my family doctor agreed,
because being in ESRF, my body needs much more care. Mind you I don't know how right or wrong I am in doing this, but my blood-tests indicate
that I am not doing anything wrong and because of that I leave things as they are and continue with my "Wellkid" ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 05:16:07 AM »

Sooooo expensive but my wife loves it.. I bought her one of those "bullet" branded ones (after the blender gave out under some frozen fruit) for 100 dollars and it broke and they wouldn't take it back or fix it so I sprang for the vitamix and she is a beast! I'm certain there are good cheaper alternatives but I was so angry at the bullet ppl I couldn't bother to look.

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
trenton6013

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »

it's not too expensive if you get it from qvc which offers easy payments.  I tried using one of those 20% off coupons at bed bath and beyond but for some reason, they're excluded from using a coupon.  Wish you could though since the model i was looking at had dropped down in price according to the msrp
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »