I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Fresenius Grocery Store Route
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fresenius Grocery Store Route  (Read 6120 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: January 17, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »

My husband's dietitian at Fresenius gave him something kind of neat today. It's a small color fold-up list to help with grocery shopping. It includes foods and substitutes for dialysis patients.
It's called "Renal Route Through The Grocery Store for Dialysis Patients" and is dated from 2013. I will get some use out of this.   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 12:53:20 PM »

I immediately called my clinic and started them looking for a copy.  This could help me immensely.  PD worked so well and I could eat most anything.  Now on Hemo, not so much at all.

Thanks for the tip!
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 03:20:39 PM »

Since I've been using the Fresenius Grocery Store Route and recipes, hubbies labs look GOOD. His phosphorous has dropped like a lead ball. And sodium?? His blood pressure has improved so much that the neph has drastically cut his blood pressure med. We hope he reaches the point where he won't even need it anymore. All this time I thought I was making the right meals but turns out that I could have been doing better, A LOT better. I just needed to do more reading and research. Now we stick STRICTLY with recipes we find on the Fresenius and Davita sites. What an eye opener!

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 06:56:28 PM »

Recipes?

Please.........I'm a 'Guy'.  I can take most any type of dead animal flesh and cook it, fried, baked, broiled, roasted, even boiled, with or without 'sides'.  I can even do LIVE flesh, in the shells. But they tend to scream a lot when they hit the boiling water, if you listen close enough.

I fake it a lot.  But it's all good.

Renal recipes?  Interesting concept.  I will have to read over a bunch to get an idea of what's different so I can make some 'adjustments'.

We just got back from doing the Mexican thing.  Wife doesn't want me to cook much.  I never learned to cook small. There is always enough for at least four, and sometimes lots of left overs.  I like left overs, she doesn't.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:26:20 PM »

Recipes?

Please.........I'm a 'Guy'.  I can take most any type of dead animal flesh and cook it, fried, baked, broiled, roasted, even boiled, with or without 'sides'.  I can even do LIVE flesh, in the shells. But they tend to scream a lot when they hit the boiling water, if you listen close enough.

I fake it a lot.  But it's all good.

Renal recipes?  Interesting concept.  I will have to read over a bunch to get an idea of what's different so I can make some 'adjustments'.

We just got back from doing the Mexican thing.  Wife doesn't want me to cook much.  I never learned to cook small. There is always enough for at least four, and sometimes lots of left overs.  I like left overs, she doesn't.

I hated boiling live crabs but luuuuved the meat! A friend had brought me a whole pot full, which if you see the price of crab it is considered a treat, so I couldn't very well waste them. So I had to suck it up and just do it. Was delicious. Too bad that over the years I've acquired an allergy to shell fish. Dang. I miss crab and lobster. MISS IT!

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 02:22:01 AM »

Unfortunately, shellfish is one of the triggers for my gout.  I can have a few bites, but that's about it.

When we lived in Puget Sound, North Seattle/Everett, Wife worked for the Phone Company.  One of the Employee Clubs had annual Crab Feeds.  A whole TR"UCK LOAD of crab.  We wold PIG on crab.

Partner kept his boat in a warehouse over the water.  We would call them on our way down.  By the time we parked they would have the boat on the rack and set it into the water and we would head out.  Spending the evening fishing for salmon or cod.  Dropping the crab pot on the way and pick it up coming back in.  Always got a few and had fresh crab and fish for dinner a couple nights each week.  I sure do miss that.  Not to mention the oysters in season when the tides are low.  Or the clams.

Ain't nothing like it here in the mid-West!

Someday, if it is in my future, I will win the Powerball and move back North, get me a much bigger boat, and do it all again.

smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 09:00:24 AM »

I miss shellfish too, PrimeTimer!!  My favorite food is grilled shrimp, but in high school I had an allergic reaction and can't eat shellfish.  It is so hard to watch my hubby eat shrimp and lobster and crab!!!!  Oh, man!  I miss it so!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »

Wife had an allergy to the iodine in fresh shrimp.  She would be leaking out both ends as if she suffered from food poisoning.

Partner had a Commercial Shrimpers License and he and I would spend the whole two weeks of the season pulling shrimp pots and loading both of our freezers with shrimp tails for the next year.  Selling only enough to cover our dock fees, food, gas, etc..

I learned I could soak a batch of fresh shrimp in ice water and the water would turn black from the iodine that leached out.  I kept changing the water until it stayed clean.  Then the Wife cold eat those shrimp without any problem.

You should check with an allergist to find out what your specific allergy is.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 06:35:03 AM »

I asked if I could be tested, but I had an near anaphylactic episode.  Huge hives over my whole body and face swelled up.  My mom stopped the reaction by giving me more Benadryl then recommended... Then I went to the ER for a couple steroid shots.  No allergist will test me.  My allergist just gave me an epipen and told me to stay away from shellfish and iodine.  At the time, he thought I might be allergic to MSG, too, but I have eaten several things with MSG since then with no problem. 

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 06:45:57 AM »

Shellfish allergies are very insidious.  For years I ate shrimp and lobster without consequence.  Then, many years ago, I went on a diet that involved my eaing store-bought shrimp "coctkail" for dinner.  One night I decided to treat myself and I bought some beautiful shrimp to prepare for dinner (from Legal Seafood--Massachusetts' own).  As I was deveining the shrimp, I noticed that my hands were itchy and breaking out in hives.  Silly me, I ate them anyway and came "this close" to anaphylactic shock.  I saved myself by taking some strong antihistamine which arrested the damage.  No shellfish for me anymore.  I don't even miss it now.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 06:52:30 AM »

You need to find a better allergist.

Some of the tests involve placing a tiny droplet of the suspected allergen on the indie of the fore arm or on the back, then checking later to see what, if any, skin reaction.  The droplet is so small as not to cause too severe of a reaction other than a redness or rash.

You may be able to do something like this at home rubbing a shrimp against your fore arm.  Have the benadril and epi pen handy just in case. 
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »

That would be a funny ER visit!  "Doctor, I was rubbing myself with shrimp to see if I was allergic... Turns out I am!"   :rofl;

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 10:16:26 AM »

I didn't say to rub it THERE!
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »

stay away from shellfish and iodine.
Looks like you are going to have a problem if the local nuclear reactor melts down.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 06:45:29 AM »

I didn't say to rub it THERE!

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »