I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:40:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Acute urinary retention & have just come out of hospital!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Acute urinary retention & have just come out of hospital!  (Read 11241 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 04:51:07 AM »

Mine was for my first, and only, so far, colonoscopy. I may have had a bunch of sodium in it as this was years prior to my beginning Dialysis.

My next one hasn't been scheduled, yet.  But it is coming someday.  Maybe yet this year.  When it does I will remember to ask about the sodium thing.

Passing a whole gallon of mix is NO FUN!  Now I don't doubt that there are some people that may be into this sort of thing.  I ain't one.  But I will admit, most every day when I start to feel a little 'off'.  And a little bit later I feel a tightness, sort of a lower abdominal cramp.  I find it a relief when I am able to empty and my world seems nice and straight again.

It's hard to imagine how peoplel manage when they have problems.  There must be a solution.  I firmly Believe that all plants are on this planet for our use.  We have simply forgotten what and how each one can be used for.  Diet is critical to body function, but what works well for one may not work at all for another.  We do have individual needs.  It can be tough finding what works for you.

Then again, there is a whole lot of truth in bacterial treatment.  Gut bacteria is an intense education yet to be researched and learned.  Many people can benefit from this and sad to say, this is going to take many years before it becomes anything like a normal medical practice.

Hopefully you can tolerate yogurts, bananas, many different salad fixings, and develop helpful bacterial colonies.

My Wife has learned so far she cannot have pepper, of any type, but she still has some unknown triggers that we are attempting to figure out.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »

A radical option - but one that isn't feasible for any kidney patient - is to take a one of those bowel pre-operative prep solutions (they come in enema format & can clean everything out within 2-5 minutes apparently). But it is contraindicated in renal impairment as well as those taking calcium channel blockers. Sodlum, phosphate & calcium electrolyte levels can be severely affected by this dangerous substance.
There are multiple options.  When I was scheduled for an in-u-endo (colonoscopy) my GI doc was able to prescribe a prep solution my neph approved for me.
Athena

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 07:27:04 AM »

It's hard to imagine how peoplel manage when they have problems.  There must be a solution.  I firmly Believe that all plants are on this planet for our use.  We have simply forgotten what and how each one can be used for.  Diet is critical to body function, but what works well for one may not work at all for another.  We do have individual needs.  It can be tough finding what works for you.

Then again, there is a whole lot of truth in bacterial treatment.  Gut bacteria is an intense education yet to be researched and learned.  Many people can benefit from this and sad to say, this is going to take many years before it becomes anything like a normal medical practice.

When nephrologist recently gave me my "good" kidney results (as in kidney function has not worsened), he mentioned that 'constipation can cause confusion' in some patients ... It was one of those cryptic comments made at the end of a consultation that just needed further explanation and what I am waiting to hear about in due course.

I do think this whole gut flora & fauna business does play a considerable part in how we feel. I've been feeling terrible and I guess I just have to be a bit patient in getting this problem resolved in some way. I have a sneaking suspicion that gastroenterologists may not prescribe simple affordable things like probiotics, I suppose?

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 08:03:41 PM »

Probiotics cannot hurt.  If those types are already within your system then there simply won't be any change.

But IF they are missing then they will begin to grow a colony and aide in digestion.  It can't hurt to try them.

Same with other veggies, raw.  Cooking would kill off whatever natural bacteria may be present within them.
Old Fool

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 08:37:10 PM »

I had urinary retention due to a recalcitrant bladder.  The nurses, who were otherwise kind to me, used a catheter technique that they must have learned in the Inquisition.  I mean, they just jammed it up there, causing "complete obliteration of the urethra."  When the doctor came by, I begged to be given a suprapubic foley. 

Two words: Inevitable and irreversible
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 06:48:16 AM »

While in Las Vegas for the IHD Reunion last week I had acute bladder retention!  :P

I ended up in ER, too. It took them over 2 hours to get me catherized and by then I was moaning and screaming. I hated to go to ER in Las Vegas because they have been over-extended this past week with the mass shooting, but there was no other option for me.

They removed over 800cc of urine.

Athena, I feel for you. There is nothing quite as traumatizing as going through this kind of event!

My catheter was removed Tuesday after I got home, and fortunately I was able to resume voiding. But now, of course, I'm adding a urologist to my long list of doctors. We need to figure out WHY this happened.

I do have chronic diarrhea, though, because of all the antibiotics I have to take for Lyme disease. At other times of the day I drink kombucha, eat sauerkraut and take probiotics to counteract the effects on my gut from the antibiotics. It is a medication nightmare, but we do what we have to do.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 06:59:40 AM »

I am so sorry, Willowtreewren!  That sounds awful!  I hope you are feeling back to normal now.

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 10:02:58 AM »

Indeed it sounds awful.  Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »

Really awful indeed are you on any of these meds?

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/urologic-diseases/urinary-retention

it must be better to change or remove meds to see if that's the cause than the have a cystoscopy?

Good luck, Cas
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:04:26 AM by cassandra » Logged

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2017, 08:26:54 AM »

Thanks, Cas.

The only one of those medications that I am on is the NSAIDs for pain from the Lyme disease. I will bring that up when I see the urologist next week. I drink lots of fluids to help with my Lyme and that does result in frequent urination. Good thing I'm not on dialysis, huh?

Athena, I hope you also get this sorted. It is REALLY painful to go through it.

Aleta

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2017, 05:28:30 AM »

Discovery channel has a show called Monsters Inside me.  Recently had an episode about a Lady that had strange symptoms over a long time.  It was finally discovered she has Lyme disease which left untreated can be fatal.  Fortunately she recovered as much as is possible as Lyme is one of those that is never fully cured.  The woman is one a regiment of meds including a weekly IV she gives herself in her 'port'.

I had no idea.  And here in Mid-Missouri ticks are nearly an everyday occurrence!

Stay vigilant.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2017, 09:49:32 AM »

Charlie, I thought that I had licked my Lyme when I was symptom free for a year and a half. A major on-going stress event last October brought it all back. I'm doing daily IV treatments along with 2 oral antibiotics and for now that is keeping most of the symptoms at bay. My Lyme doctor informs me that I will have to be vigilant for the rest of my life. It is what it is. I was bitten in Massachusetts where Lyme is rampant.

Hopefully in a month or 2 I can try going off the daily IV and return to three oral antibiotics.

Aleta

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2017, 09:31:50 PM »

Oh, Alta, that sounds awful.  I hope you had a good time in LasVegas otherwise.  Did you win any money??

:cuddle; 

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2017, 04:20:36 AM »

Didn't do any gambling. Except for this wrinkle with the ER visit, had a great time.  :cheer:

I think from now on I'm going to carry pocket catheters, just in case it should happen again, though. Don't want to go through that kind of pain again.  :bow;

Aleta

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2017, 04:10:43 AM »

You Women talk about catheters as if they ain't no thing.  I am a Certifide 'Guy'.  The mere thought of a catheter scares the Qwap out of me.  Just the idea of attempting to stick ahose up into my junk makes me shudder.  I have no douobt Dr's have ordered a cath inserted during surgeries, but I was stone cold knocked out and never knew it.

You Ladies are far tougher than I, and I admit that very freely.

I'll just keep taking my water pills, all three at a time, twice daily, and Pray they keep working.

Stay Careful,

CharlieB53
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 06:56:25 AM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Ain't no fun, but ya do what ya have to do!

I saw a guy friend last night who is wearing a catheter now until his surgery to get reamed out next week. Now THAT gives me the heebie jeebies!

:puke;

Aleta

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »

OMG!  A cath would be bad enough but SURGERY?  To get REAMED OUT?    I would need massive drugs to knock me smooth out, and keep me out until healed!

Lord Protect me and keep me safe!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »