I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:48:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  1 in 5 donors has their wishes for organ donation overridden by a family member
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1 in 5 donors has their wishes for organ donation overridden by a family member  (Read 3198 times)
justagirl2325

« on: December 01, 2016, 01:10:40 PM »

1 in 5 donors has their wishes for organ donation overridden by a family member in my province.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/organ-donation-family-veto-1.3874985

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 01:51:08 PM »

I'm a complete advocate for a Presumed Concent Organdonor law in all countries, whereby family has no say, like in France (per next January)
But when I was a committee advisor  I had this discussion with the transplant surgeon who knows people waiting on organs I thought.
I couldn't believe my ears, nor close my mouth, when he said that even with a Presumed consent law he would refuse to 'harvest' organs, if the family wasn't a 100% in favour.

So I'm a lot older now, and he didn't know I had dad's kidney, but I know that the 'harvesting' is still a problem. Like in Spain, and France the harvesting will have to be done by a special designated team. People who speak to the family, other people who harvest the organs, other people who transplant

:twocents;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 07:43:58 PM »

I can understand the debate than can occur.  Especially when an unexpected death occurs, a Family is in shock at the very idea of losing a member and unable to allow their Family member to be parted out into pieces somewhat like an auto.

Totally unable to concede that same Family member had previously thought of this very situation, and decided to sign a donor card to specifically allow organs to be transplanted and help continue the life of another.

Unfortunately for the organs, the time it takes for the surviving Family to realize how the Deceased DID wish to try to help others by giving of him/her self.

This discussion must be done far ahead of time.   ANYONE choosing to donate needs to make this perfectly clear to all Family members in order to prevent any later misunderstanding.

I have to wonder, with my combined problems, the quantity of meds I am on, if there is anything left usable in me?

kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 06:04:31 AM »

I have to wonder, with my combined problems, the quantity of meds I am on, if there is anything left usable in me?

They probably don't want your organs, but there are tissue banks that are happy to have skin, muscle, etc.  I am a stated organ donor, but I doubt any one will want my compromised organs either when I die.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »

When I got my first drivers license, my mom asked me not to be an organ donor because she couldn't bear the thought of me being cut up and not all in one place when I am buried.  I abided by her wishes until adulthood.  Now I am an organ donor.  I can see the parents or guardians having the choice if a minor passes, but if an adult wishes to be an organ donor, his/her wishes should be abided by.  And yes, please talk to your family before hand!  All of my family, including my mom, knows I am an organ donor and I wish to help others after my death.  Heck, I would do live donation now if I was able.  They will not take me due to family history of hypertension and diabetes. 

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 01:29:29 PM »

One good thing that has come out of my kidney failure is that all of my adult family members have filled out the organ donor option for their end of life planning.

I can't understand how if someone explicitly expressed wanting to donate organs the family could decide against that. There are all sorts of other decisions that the family can not revoke, I'm surprised organ donation is one that they can.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »