I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:06:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  He's back
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: He's back  (Read 3303 times)
Vt Big Rig

« on: November 27, 2016, 06:36:45 AM »

Long absence on my part. I lost my right arm access in August. We started using upper left arm, which had a year old fistula in it. Nothing but problems. Needed tech to come about every three days as dear wife could not get needles in correctly or get good flow. The happened several times. My wife was really getting upset about her inability to get it to work. Finally even the tech could not get it to run. Either no flow of obvious short circuiting. Guess what, not the wife's problem. Left arm has only a flow of about 200. They did a Doppler on right arm and it's flow is great. Nobody can explain to me why it stopped working in August but it works now.
New clinic has convinced us to use buttonholes so dear wife is trying to learn those. It's a process. But she would never relent to allow me self cannulation with the sharps we used. Now she is willing to let me learn and try.

So all this , and running slower on new fistula, and even using both arms for a few days has helped to keep me away. I'm afraid I sadly neglected my " moderator" duties. I'll try to do Bette.
It is good to be back.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 06:51:27 AM »

Men o men, glad that's sorted now, and welcome back Vt

:welcomesign;

Love, luck, strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 07:35:44 AM »

I was thinking you either broke your computer and like me wasn't going to buy one of the new ones yet, or left it at home and take your machine on an extended vacation to someplace much warmer.

Needlephobic as I am I'm sure it can be frustrating when sticks do not go so well.    You both are to be commended for your diligence, I would have given up long ago.

Give her a hug and be sure to say "Thanks", she has earned it also, and same goes for you!
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 11:37:30 AM »

You can say that again, Charlie. They would try 4 needles some days. And several infiltration. It was getting very frustrating.  We seem to be back on track. But I think I've learned to expect the unexpected.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 02:23:34 PM »

I'm very glad to hear that you seem to be back on track!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »

So many hemo people having trouble with fistulas lately.  It's quite worrisome. I have no experience with them (yet), but I wish you all a good resolution.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 07:32:26 PM »

Actually I feel sorrier for your wife since my guess is she takes this seriously and is not pleased when she thinks she failed.  Make sure to do something nice for her since she definitely is a keeper.  Good luck my guess is the Fistula gods have a sense of humor straight from the three stooges but my hope is you get clear sailing from now on.

sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:49:13 AM by cassandra » Logged
justagirl2325

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 06:36:28 AM »

As a wife that has failed with needles, it is extremely frustrating.  There were days I'd have to stick him 4-5 times to get it in the right spot (using the buttonholes nurses established).  I'd finally get him on and then I would disappear out of his line of sight to cry it out.

It's better now but we have almost 2.5 years on dialysis.  This last time after they sent us home this October with their buttonholes I tried them, one was ok but ended up creating one of my own.

Fistula's suck but after the catheter experience he had, I hope he never has to go back to that.

Glad yours is working again.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 08:08:40 AM »

No question it was harder on her. But I have all the faith in the world she will get the hang of it.

We've been married 41 years. I hope she's not going anywhere!!!!

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »