I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:38:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Did Another Stupid
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Another Stupid  (Read 3377 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« on: November 20, 2016, 06:42:53 PM »

I found that I have done another stupid thing.  I would just shut up, except there is a witness.   And she knows my name and address.

I am on PD, my Cycler is set to 'Hold on Last Drain' because I don't drain too well while laying in bed.  When I get up, vertical, I drain much better. 

Most every morning when I get up the display is flashing 'Low UF'.  I cap off, clamp the hose and cap it also.  I use a clamp on that line just to make sure it cannot drain or get air into the line.  I wouldn't want to push that air into me.  So capped off I go fix my coffee, breakfast snack and have a cigarette in the garage.  I haven't smoked in the house for maybe 30 years.  I don't clean drapes or paint.

So I come back with my coffee and snack, reconnect, hit the go button again and start reading.  And the alarm goes off.  It doesn't like me to slouch sitting reading.  Straighten up it shuts up.  Until it goes off again.  And I straighten up again.   Repeat.   A lot.

After quite a while, I'm done with my coffee and snack and I'm thinking this machine should be done by now.  It just keeps repeating that alarm, so I hit the Stop and start hitting the Down Arrow to get to the Bypass.  And can't get there.

I don't know how many times I hit Stop and Arrowed down and never did get to the Bypass.

I got pretty frustrated.

So frustrated I gave up and called Baxter.   Early on a Sunday morning.   After a couple of recordings and hitting the right buttons I actually got a human.  A pleasant Lady confirmed who I am and why I was calling.   I explained how my Cycler is programmed to hold on last fill, I cap off to go make coffee and have a cigarette during a break, come back, reconnect and hit go again.  But this time instead of the usual 'Low Uf' it give me a low volume and check patient line. 

She said there must be a problem with the patient hose.

I said there can't be a problem with the patient hose.  I reconnected and opened to roller clamp.   And as I was saying this I lifted my shirt as if I was going to SHOW her the roller clamp is open.  And THAT is when I noticed that I still had the big blue clamp on the hose.

I told her  "Oh Qwap I'm STUPID.  I didn't take the clamp off.   Over TWO YEARS of clamping off during breaks and NOW I forget to take off the clamp.  I'll bet my Cycler works NOW!"

I have to wonder.   Am I the only one that calls in for STUPID things?
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 06:48:26 PM »

I can tell you for a fact NO, but I choose not to go into detail  :rofl;
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 04:00:44 PM »

In my defense,   It was early morning, although my coffee was IN the cup it wasn't IN me!

Maybe I should clear off a nightstand next to my bed.  Put the coffee maker there, on a timer, so it is ready and within reach when I wake up.

You know, that's not such a bad idea.  Maybe that's why Mr Coffee's are so small.  Ya think?

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:36:57 PM »

No Charlie, and one day I'll tell you. I call them 'braindrain moments'

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 08:08:24 PM »

I've never called in for anything quite like that, but I did get through almost a full shower with both my bandage AND support tube I wear to hold my line still on. So... I think brainfarts are a common side effect of dialysis.  :Kit n Stik;

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »