I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:12:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  Changes to Medicare Coming?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Changes to Medicare Coming?  (Read 11609 times)
Shaks24

« on: November 18, 2016, 12:22:23 PM »

With the recent turn of events in DC there is a lot of speculation backed by comments and pending legislation to make some pretty drastic changes to Medicare as we know it. From what I can see it would mainly effect those under the age of 55 and younger and those who are not already on medicare. Its sounds like the goal is to privatize medicare with Medicare Advantage type policies supported by vouchers to help seniors and the disabled to pay the premiums. One of the big concerns is that the vouchers will not keep up with the rate of inflation of policy premiums resulting in the seniors and disabled picking up the extra expense when policies go up. Also a gradual raising of the age to qualify to 67 from 65. Has anyone else been following this and do you have any thoughts on the matter? I think its important for those of us on Medicare to pay attention as these plans will have an impact on how many of us cover the cost of our treatments. These Medicare "modernization" ideas have been around for a while but kept in check by divided government. Now with united GOP control it looks like a very possible reality.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 12:33:46 PM »

Yes, many of us have been following this because Paul Ryan has been talking about it for some years now. 

The idea is to gradually deprive Medicare of resources so that those who want to privatize it can some day soon say, "Look!  It's broken!!  It's going broke!  Our party is going to fix it!"

If you want to envision what it might look like, you can read this about the gradual privatization of Britain's NHS.  This is coming soon to a theater near you

https://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/2015/oct/02/nhs-one-way-road-privatisation#comments

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »

Privatization of Medicare with vouchers will increase the income redistribution aspect of public policy if those who have saved are punished by getting a lower voucher.  Another issue is that all medical treatment already has a "Medicare tax" built in - MDs and hospitals tend to accept Medicare despite very low payment rates.  If private policies do not get access to Medicare rates, costs will go through the roof (just look at the cost of private pay vs. private insurance vs. medicare payments for a single dialysis treatment).
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 07:20:32 PM »

I've heard that Trump is against this.  Just because Paul Ryan is he ain't President.  I don't see this happening.

Don't worry. 

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 07:31:13 AM »

The Medicare voting block is so strong and solid that the country will go into receivership before those get cut off.

The trick is increasing cost to the recipient in a manner that leaves most of those people thinking that someone else is going to be paying the increase, no them.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 11:17:21 AM »

Is Medicare expensive hell yea.  It is also the most cost effective medical delivery system in the US.  The one exception is the part D perscription Plan created in the W Bush administration.  Only one insurance plan is barred from either negotiating or setting price limits.  That is Medicare  Part D it's prices are set at full list and people wonder why list prices have been going up so fast.   

nursey66

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 11:19:26 AM »

I was so worried about this, Medicare and Social Security are both in jeopardy with Trump in !! We all knows he lies so just because he says he isn't touching it,means nothing!  Look at all the other things he has "changed his mind on " !!!!   Medicare and Social Security are the only reason I have not lost my home and everything else . I am 70 years old and my husband is on his second kidney transplant, so it's been nice not to worry about paying for medical and other stuff ,with the SS income and Medicare it's working for us . I have had my home for 43 years,and it is a very modest home , but I know if you end up unable to pay medical, you get a lean on your house . I hate that Trump ,he is going to make rich richer and middle class poor and poor won't make it at all ! The writing is already on the wall , check out his tax plans . :Kit n Stik;
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »

I hate that Trump ,he is going to make rich richer and middle class poor and poor won't make it at all !

He, Ryan and Trump supporters (who live in la la land) will have a lot of blood on their hands when the elderly, sick, disabled and poor start committing suicide in droves.  Of course, he won't feel a thing as he has no capacity for empathy and he has HIS so screw the rest of you!  And actually, that is the GOP health plan.  Just die.  What a cruel and heartless lot.

sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:32:20 PM by cassandra » Logged

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »

Look at all the other things he has "changed his mind on " !!!!
Like going from "repeal Obamacare on day 1" to "keep the pre-existing condition and age 26 features of Obamacare".

The man is already stating to get a dose of reality now that he is off the campaign trail. 
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 03:47:30 PM »

I am extremely concerned about how Medicare and Health Insurance in general are going to be changed under the current administration. Being 28 and on Medicare due to the kidney issues, I fear my type of situation is going to be the first to get cut. Also, changing Obamacare is going to make it much harder for me to get other types of health insurance if I don't find full time employment with benefits (something else I fear is going to change under this administration).

I'm very concerned and extremely frustrated with the lack of young people involved in politics. It's easy to make those policies when you aren't the one who is going to feel the effect of the changes.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Shaks24

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »

Every thing I have been able to find on it indicates that those 55 or older and those already on medicare can stay on it as it is. I spend about 600 a month on my Medicare B, Gap policy and prescription policy but it works real well to cover everything. Prior to the ACA I was never able to purchase decent insurance due to pre existing conditions. Its just scary to see the possibility of health care coverage being up in the air again. I guess we will not know for sure until the legislation is put forward and passed into law. Medicare is a sacred cow to so many that have already paid in on it for many years so I hope they move with caution on this. At the same time it faces funding issues down the road. Funny thing to me is that the Ryan plan sounds a lot like Obamacare for seniors and the disabled. Go figure!

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 07:40:01 PM »

I remember
Obama saying.  "if you like your doctor you will keep your doctor... if you like your insurance you will keep your insurance"

Not!!  Affordable ??  Some health Premiums have tripled.  Is he a liar?     :thumbdown;

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 10:32:21 PM »

I don't know that it is Paul Ryan who will be putting granny and her family out on the street. Seattle is one of the biggest Liberal cities and yet, 80 year old grannies are having to work or else risk having to move into the largest tent city in America, which Seattle fondly refers to as "The Jungle".

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/the-new-needy-seattles-growth-has-people-seeking-help-for-the-first-time/

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Shaks24

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 05:23:04 AM »

Good article:

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2016/11/18/GOP-Cuts-Medicare-May-Be-Next-After-Dismantling-Obamacare

Shaks24

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 07:34:51 AM »

http://www.ncpssm.org/

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »

My Aunt is 83 and lives in Seattle.  She invested in Starbucks the first year and Microsoft.  It depends how you live the first 80 years of your life whether you are in a tent.  There are retirement plans for everyone but if you don't choose to invest when you are young then it is Trump's fault? 

Get off the tit. 

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 02:00:29 PM »

Well, Prime Timer, maybe Paul Ryan can do something about Seattle's landlords who won't accept the housing vouchers.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 02:04:09 PM by MooseMom » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 04:22:20 PM »

My Aunt is 83 and lives in Seattle.  She invested in Starbucks the first year and Microsoft.  It depends how you live the first 80 years of your life whether you are in a tent.  There are retirement plans for everyone but if you don't choose to invest when you are young then it is Trump's fault? 

Get off the tit.

Sometimes when you're young, you don't have the resources to invest. When it comes to a choice between throwing money in to your IRA or putting food on the table and keeping the lights on.. which one would you pick?

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 05:10:12 PM »

Sometimes when you're young, you don't have the resources to invest. When it comes to a choice between throwing money in to your IRA or putting food on the table and keeping the lights on.. which one would you pick?
It all depends.

I've seen young people who "don't have money to invest"  because they needed a "nice place to live", a "nice car", etc.... instead of sharing a place with a few roommates and driving an older used car (techniques I used to max out my IRA when I started my first fill time job in 1980).     To those people, I  say sympathy is located in the dictionary between s--t and syphlis.  Ditto for those who feel they "need" to live in a high cost city like SF, Seattle, NYC, Boston, etc. instead of moving to a lower cost part of the country.

Those that are doing all they can, including living the lifestyle they can afford, rather than the lifestyle they feel they "deserve", have my sympathy - particularly those whose working potential is reduced by ESRD at an early age.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 09:46:27 AM »

Get a second part-time job.  There's an idea.

:waving;

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 02:31:22 PM »

So I don't live in the US, but I'm pretty sure that it's world wide that you might be able to blame maybe 5% of poor people for being poor. But you can't seriously expect to base that on any facts. There's quite some facts about in national statistics f.e. that most rich people were born into richness.

:twocents;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 06:45:11 PM »

I haven't looked, but I would bet that AARP is looking in what is going on with both SS and Medicare.  I joined, it is one of the very few organizations that I belong to, other than Veterans.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 11:33:53 PM »

To change SS or Medicare requires a change to the law.  This must pass through the Senate at some point.   There are currently 48 Democratic Senators.
That's enough to block any legislation that the Democrats want to stop.  It requires 60 votes to end a filibuster.
Shaks24

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 04:01:46 AM »

I think Ryan talked of using budget reconciliation to make changes to Obamacare and Medicare. Social Security can not be changed through reconciliation. Lately they have been talking about full steam ahead on Obamacare repeal in January but delaying the effective date until they agree on a replacement plan. The medicare reform talk seems to have chilled out. Specially in the senate as a number of GOP senators have said medicare reform is not the priority right now as they will have enough on their plate for now. I guess time will tell what their actual plans are as we see bills flow out of the house after Trump is in office. I think its fair to say that things are going to change. My heart goes out to those on Obamacare that may be anxious about how they will keep their healthcare coverage. At least those who like it will be ok for 2017.

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 02:52:42 PM »

To those who feel that these changes are fair, I worked from 18 till 64 in good paying jobs and I paid SSA taxes for 46 years, during that time I was told no mater what your SSA benefits were safe. In 2004 AT&T froze my pension to 1992 levels and the Bush administration approved the change.  So when I was laid off my pension was the same it was 12 years before I retired. Now while I get half a pension the new group of Yahoo!'s want to hit my SS benefits.holy batman now it's my fault for not having a large saving plan.  That's kind of heartless.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »