I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:33:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Dialysis Dilemma
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis Dilemma  (Read 4617 times)
Whamo
Elite Member

« on: November 16, 2016, 02:02:49 PM »

:stressed;  My nurse talked to me about signing up for a kidney transplant.  I've been on dialysis for five years, and recently kicked the Hep C virus out of my body. 
I didn't want a liver transplant.  But now I want a kidney.  She suggested I accept a kidney from an inmate organ donor.  What kind of success rate do they have with
these "used car" kidneys?
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »

I was under the impression that inmates were NOT allowed to be donors.   Administration is often of the opinion that inmates are scum, drug users, infectious with untold bad things.

We know better.  Granted, there is a certain percentage of ANY population, whether free on the street or incarcerated, but the universal ban simply because of current incarceration should be wrong.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 04:58:26 PM »

Be sure to find out if it is going to be anonymous - if not, you will be hooked to that inmate for the rest of your life with rerquests for favors, outside money, etc.   If it's anon, you can probably use an intermediary to give him/her any help you want without getting tangled up with the big house culture.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 06:11:01 AM »

She suggested I accept a kidney from an inmate organ donor.

Not knowing your country I'll respond as if its US.   I'm in the US and am willing to except a kidney from a higher risk donor - see:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/06/us/as-drug-deaths-soar-a-silver-lining-for-organ-transplant-patients.html?_r=0
I've received calls from donors who overdosed, someone with higher risk actives (undefined), IV drug users and someone who had been in prison recently.

I'm wondering if that is the criteria of donor your nurse is suggesting you consider?

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 06:25:16 AM »

I agree with iolaire.  I accepted a high risk kidney.  I was tested at the one year mark for Hepatitis C and HIV.  My transplant center and PCP have both told me that with the testing methods available today, if there was no virus detected at the one year mark, then I have successfully passed the timeframe for where I would have contracted either disease. 

She suggested I accept a kidney from an inmate organ donor.

Not knowing your country I'll respond as if its US.   I'm in the US and am willing to except a kidney from a higher risk donor - see:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/06/us/as-drug-deaths-soar-a-silver-lining-for-organ-transplant-patients.html?_r=0
I've received calls from donors who overdosed, someone with higher risk actives (undefined), IV drug users and someone who had been in prison recently.

I'm wondering if that is the criteria of donor your nurse is suggesting you consider?
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 06:31:55 AM »

(I will not take an infection positive kidney and don't think they'd give it to me.)

To me the higher risk kidney has two advantages, first I get access to a kidney quicker, second I get access to what likely will be a younger kidney.  I trust that the testing is very good these days, that doesn't mean that there is not risk, but with any kidney there is inherent risk.   I have to stay positive and believe that I'll get a kidney and it will perform well for many years. 

Now that I'm at my five year point I'm happy I've been getting calls on these higher risk kidneys, I'm still not at the top of the list and doubt I would have received many calls if I was not willing to consider these kidneys.  The calls feel like a carrot and help perpetuate the view that a kidney is right around the corner...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 08:50:16 AM »

I trust that the testing is very good these days
Google "nucleic acid testing" - the time to a positive results after HIV exposure is now days, not weeks.  This is good news.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 06:16:22 AM »

NOT currently listed as Dr's tell me I have disqualifying medical conditions.  I would have to wonder, even a questionable organ could be acceptable given a surgical team was willing to put it in me.    63 y.o. and doing well on PD it would still be great NOT to have to do PD, AND most importantly, regain the lost energy.  To be able to spend the remainder of my days more 'normally'.   Most likely NOT going to happen.

Oh Well.  I can dream.
DialysisGoneFOREVER

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 11:29:09 AM »

NOT currently listed as Dr's tell me I have disqualifying medical conditions.  I would have to wonder, even a questionable organ could be acceptable given a surgical team was willing to put it in me.    63 y.o. and doing well on PD it would still be great NOT to have to do PD, AND most importantly, regain the lost energy.  To be able to spend the remainder of my days more 'normally'.   Most likely NOT going to happen.

Oh Well.  I can dream.

What are your disqualifying medical conditions??
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 01:32:50 PM »

If you need energy a protein bar isn't a bad idea.  It works for me.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »