I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:18:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  High BMI Transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High BMI Transplant  (Read 3296 times)
Jeaukool

« on: November 05, 2016, 11:50:11 PM »

Hi. I am a 55 year old man who is 5 feet 8 inches and weighs 310 pounds. I have applied twice locally for a kidney transplant but turned down both times due to my weight. All of my weight is on my waist and I have tried all of my life to lose this abdominal fat. I have tried everything so please no suggestions!! My question is this...is there anywhere I could go where they would do a transplant for me? I have a donor ready to go but I have just resigned myself that I will never qualify for a transplant because I cannot lose my abdominal fat. Does anyone know of any hospital or doctor that would approve a transplant for me?
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 11:53:04 PM »

Have you investigated bariatric sugery?
Jeaukool

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 12:06:25 AM »

I said no suggestions please! I have tried everything and this weight is never coming off. If you don't know a doctor or hospital willing to do a transplant DO NOT REPLY!!! Sorry but I made it clear about my weight.
LorinnPKD

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 07:16:41 AM »

I googled and found an article from several years ago that says at Johns Hopkins, "the rate at which overweight, severely obese, and morbidly obese patients are listed and receive transplants is much higher than the national average. As a result, the waiting times for obese patients are not significantly different."  It sounds like they have some experience working with patients of your size.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/obese_patients_wait_longer_for_kidney_transplants_research_suggests

So I'd start with Johns Hopkins and the doctor they quote, Dorry Segev, who sounds sympathetic. “Being overweight should not be a disqualifying and discriminating factor against these patients,” Segev says. Per his profile, he specializes in minimally invasive live donor surgery.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 08:24:55 AM »

You didn't mention what area you live.  Hopkins has some promise, if you can afford the time and travel involved.  I am praying you will be successful.

You also didn't mention if you are on Hemo or PD.

Not so much a suggestion, but a little of my history.  I have been big for a long time.

I am on PD 3 1/2 years now.  My first two years I found with the constant 2 liters flooding my belly that it was difficult to eat, I became much too full too soon.  I also began to cut out most all forms of white flour, not all, but most.    NO exercise, my leg circulation just barely allows me to walk, if you can call it that.   And I cannot go very far at a time either.  So it wasn't as if I was burning massive amounts of calories.  I have problems just keeping warm enough.   Somehow I lost 100 pounds in my first two years.   I was 310 when I started.  I got as low as 202 WITH 2 liters of fluid in me.   Then the gout really ramped up.  Most every joint in my body felt like they had ground glass inside them.  Dr's gave me a LOT of prednisone.  I regained 40 pounds in that year.   241 this morning, no prednisone for almost 4 months, and still no weight loss.    Maybe someday.   Just not today.

I wiish you well however you go.  ESRD is a bitch no matter how well our treatment choices, it takes it's toll on the rest of our bodies.

Take Care,

Charlie B53

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 02:16:07 PM »

My apologies for suggesting; I read so much stuff on-line that I sometimes miss a point or two.
Jeaukool

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 04:39:39 PM »

Thanks Charlie for the info! I live in Louisville, Kentucky and have been in center dialysis for a year and a half using a fistula in my left forearm.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 07:27:11 PM »

Thanks Charlie for the info! I live in Louisville, Kentucky and have been in center dialysis for a year and a half using a fistula in my left forearm.
Do you do home or in-center?   A 350lb patient patient at my local clinic is successfully doing home hemo with the NxStage 1S.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »