I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:11:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  I have a surgery date!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have a surgery date!  (Read 6229 times)
Fabkiwi06

« on: October 31, 2016, 09:20:03 PM »

:yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo;

January 31st, I'll be swiping my mother's kidney and claiming it as my own. I have yet to fully process all of that and I still have the holidays to get through, but there is a date. Now, I just need to figure out what needs to be done between now and then.

Any tips or things you wish you had done prior (for both me and mom) would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll be crawling through the archives constantly between now and then to soak up all the knowledge that is here.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 09:32:23 PM »

Congratulations on your good news! You'll need a new Xmas ornament for 2017 (new kidney's first year).  :christmastree; 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
jmintuck

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 09:35:40 PM »

Congratulations on your good news! You'll need a new Xmas ornament for 2017 (new kidney's first year).  :christmastree;

Yea, like a Baby's First Christmas. Kind of a funny sense of humor.
justagirl2325

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 05:48:34 AM »

Congratulations!  That must feel so exciting just knowing it's going to happen and when.  I'll be following your story. Good luck.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 06:43:10 AM »

I you find it hard to sleep while in the hospital, ask one of the MDs to write a PRN for a sleep aid so you can get it if needed.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 07:11:04 AM »

That's terrific news!  Hope everything goes without a hitch.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:00:24 AM »

Exciting cannot begin to describe how you are feeling.   I don't know if I  would ever manage to sleep at all while waiting for the day to come.

Wondrous news.   Continuous Prays all goes well for you both!
LorinnPKD

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 09:07:02 AM »

WONDERFUL NEWS!

As with all procedures that have extended recovery, you might spend some time cleaning and organizing and repairing around your house so you have a superclean and happy nest to come back to.

Sending all good thoughts to you and your mom as you prepare!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 09:48:41 AM »

That's fantastic!! 

Since this is abdominal surgery, arrange things so that you won't have to bend over too much once you get home.  Little things like getting shoes or slippers that you can slide your feet into; that sort of thing.

The quicker you start moving around, the better and quicker you will heal.

Arrange for someone to drive you to appointments until you are allowed to drive again.

Make sure you fully understand your med schedule before you leave the hospital. 

Best of luck!  You'll do very well, I'm sure!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Kathymac2

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 10:52:46 AM »

I am so happy for you!   :yahoo;

My best wishes to you and your mom.

Kathy
nursey66

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 11:06:42 AM »

Such a big change in life style, so glad for you ! My husband did dialysis for a year , then got a kidney from his sister , lasted 11 years , then 2 years of dialysis and got a cadaver kidney 1 year ago , Interesting , the cadaver kidney is working way better than the living donor did !  At least so far !!! Congrats !
coravh

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 11:51:01 AM »

Here's a word of warning. This doesn't happen to everyone, but it happened to a friend of mine (I witnessed it) and so I was calmer when it happened to me. She was scared, paranoid, and sort of seeing things during the first little while in hospital (we were both in for about 2 weeks right at the start). It was mainly due to the heavy dose of drugs they give you right off the bad. So if suddenly, you find yourself very afraid, for anything, know that you can talk yourself down and you will feel better. It's a transitory feeling and will go away, but it's a bit like directed dreaming. You can control it. And then things almost instantly get better.

Remember, this isn't an instant fix. Tehre's a lot of work afterwards and constantly going for labs gets to be a drag really quickly. But keep track of things and you will find that every day you will feel better and better. And that's something to celebrate and a nice contrast to the slow downward spiral that is kidney disease.
DayaraLee

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 12:17:24 PM »

What wonderful, exciting news!!! Congratulations!!!! So, so happy for you, and I bet you can't keep the smile from your face!   :2thumbsup;   :clap; 

Husband Dx - CKD Stage 3, Diabetes Type II, Hypertensive, Stubborn...

"What is love? Love is the absence of judgment."  ~Dalai Lama
Xplantdad

Health is not valued till sickness comes. T.Fuller

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 12:58:53 PM »

Congrats to you! You will be just fine  :thumbup;

My name is Bruce and I am the caregiver for my daughter Holly who is 31 years old and received her kidney transplant on December 22, 2016 :)
Holly's Facebook Kidney  page: https://www.facebook.com/Hollys.transplantpage/

Holly had a heart transplant at the age of 5 1/2 months in 1990. Heart is still doing GREAT!  :thumbup;
Holly was on hemodialysis for 2.5 years-We did NXStage home hemo from January 2016 to December 22, 2016
Holly's best Christmas ever occurred on December 22, 2016 when a compassionate family in their time of grief gave Holly the ultimate gift...a kidney!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 01:20:29 PM »

Wow fantastic news

:yahoo;

Wishing you and your mum all the best!!

Lots of love, luck and strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »

Thank you all. It's both very exciting and very daunting - especially with the holidays coming up between now and then. It seems like a long way off still, but I know it's going to fly by.

Roommate is supposed to move out in December, so that will make for having people stay and care for us much easier. We're trying to figure who is going to be down here for our caretakers - I'm down here in Nashville and family is all in Michigan. I'll be gone for Christmas, so that cuts down on prep time. Also have an inheritance estate out in Cali that we're still trying to sort out that I would ideally like to get taken care of before I'm laid up for a bit. Will need to head out west for a week to deal with that... so yeah... it's gonna FLY by.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
SooMK

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 05:15:59 AM »

To Coravh's point, although I saw my family after surgery, I completely forgot I'd seen them. I was in recovery and then had two units of blood which took all night. I thought my family had gone home and left me there without seeing me. I was bereft. Now I laugh about it but at the time it was frightening. This is major surgery for you (my donor had a bumpy first week and then was great). Recovery takes a long time. You need to have compassion for yourself, not push yourself too much and follow the clinic's instructions. Slowly, slowly you find a balance of not being too cautious but protecting yourself. You may have a setback or two but when the dust settles I find life with a transplant to be way less difficult than I had imagined. I wish you the best.

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 05:55:00 AM »

That's good news, hoping all goes as well as it can.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 07:43:34 AM »

Of course, surgery is a serious matter and is not to be taken lightly.  People will be all too willing to tell you all sorts of weird tales of what happened to them.

To try to put you at ease, I had my transplant surgery at 8:30AM on a Sunday morning and was home by Wednesday afternoon (it would have been even earlier than that, but there was all of the release papers to get through and a two hour drive home).  I never saw any ghosties or beasties due to any meds.  When I got home, I was up and walking within a day.  Gentle walks helped me feel immensely better.

Everyone has their surgery story, but they don't all have to be bad.  I am confident that you will be fine!  Again, congrats!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
nightwalker

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 08:07:26 PM »

Super stoked for you! I will find out on Friday if the committee at UCLA will accept my mother as a donor as well. My sister tried but was denied due to something called Thin Based Membrane,which is basically benign but nonetheless disqualified her. Good luck with everything!

1998 --Diagnosed with only 1 solitary kidney and Hydronephrosis- Pyeoplasty surgery to correct issue
2015--Scar tissue obstruction/  Hydronephrosis back- 3 surgeries no luck ( stent placement, nephrostomy tube placement, ureter reimplant)
2016 -- AV Graft access created for HD. Waiting to start HD and on TX list
lainiepop

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »

Great news what a start to 2017 that will be! My dad donated to me 4 and a half yrs ago now and honestly surgery and recovery wasn't bad. Ive had a few ops throughout my life and tx was easiest to recover from after the initial day after. Very similar to my c section 😂😂. Good luck, enjoy christmas and keep us updated. Oh and be warned u will be emotional after especially when u see your mum and there may be ups and downs we all had them and all been worried about the tx and meds in the weeks  (and years 😂😂) after tx so any questions or worries bring them to us xxx

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 01:26:13 PM »

Great news and it is not that much time to wait any longer...
Best wishes and good luck from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 09:34:12 PM »

:yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo;

January 31st, I'll be swiping my mother's kidney and claiming it as my own. I have yet to fully process all of that and I still have the holidays to get through, but there is a date. Now, I just need to figure out what needs to be done between now and then.

Any tips or things you wish you had done prior (for both me and mom) would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll be crawling through the archives constantly between now and then to soak up all the knowledge that is here.

Any updates you'd like to share, Fabkiwi06? Hope it is all going your way and that you have good news soon!  :cheer:

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Metalangel28

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 06:22:23 AM »

That's awesome!! Keep us updated on how you are doing
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »