I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:07:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Useless or just confusing and interesting
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless or just confusing and interesting  (Read 3782 times)
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« on: October 24, 2016, 01:24:48 PM »

The closure of arteriovenous fistula in kidney transplant recipients is associated with an acceleration of kidney function decline
 Authors
Laurent Weekers1,*,
Pauline Vanderweckene1,*,
Hans Pottel2,
Diego Castanares-Zapatero3,
Catherine Bonvoisin1,
Etienne Hamoir4,
Sylvie Maweja4,
Jean-Marie Krzesinski1,
Pierre Delanaye1 and
François Jouret1,5
1Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Liège Hospital (ULg CHU), Liège, Belgium
2KU Leuven Kulak, Department of Public Health and Primary Care, University of Leuven, Kortrijk, Belgium
3Intensive Care Unit, Cliniques universistaires Saint-Luc, Université catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
4Division of Abdominal Surgery and Transplantation, Department of Surgery, University of Liège Hospital (ULg CHU), Liège, Belgium
5Groupe Interdisciplinaire de Génoprotéomique Appliquée (GIGA), Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Liège, Liège, Belgium
Correspondence and offprint requests to: François Jouret; E-mail: francois.jouret@chu.ulg.ac.be
↵* These authors contributed equally to this work.
Received July 11, 2016.
Accepted August 24, 2016.

Abstract

Background The creation of arteriovenous fistula (AVF) may retard chronic kidney disease progression in the general population. Conversely, the impact of AVF closure on renal function in kidney transplant recipients (KTRs) remains unknown.
Methods From 2007 to 2013, we retrospectively categorized 285 KTRs into three groups: no AVF (Group 0, n = 90), closed AVF (Group 1, n = 114) and left-open AVF (Group 2, n = 81). AVF closure occurred at 653 ± 441 days after kidney transplantation (KTx), with a thrombosis:ligation ratio of 19:95. Estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) was determined using the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease equation. Linear mixed models calculated the slope and intercept of eGFR decline versus time, starting at 3 months post-KTx, with a median follow-up of 1807 days (95% confidence interval 1665–2028).
Results The eGFR slope was less in Group 1 (−0.081 mL/min/month) compared with Group 0 (−0.183 mL/min/month; P = 0.03) or Group 2 (−0.164 mL/min/month; P = 0.09). Still, the eGFR slope significantly deteriorated after (−0.159 mL/min/month) versus before (0.038 mL/min/month) AVF closure (P = 0.03). Study periods before versus after AVF closure were balanced to a mean of 13.5 and 12.5 months, respectively, with at least 10 observations per patient (n = 99).
Conclusions In conclusion, a significant acceleration of eGFR decline is observed over the 12 months following the closure of a functioning AVF in KTRs.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 02:17:13 PM »

A self contradictory word salad.

So, is the impact of AVF closure unknown?  Or, does AVF closure accelerate the decline of eGFR?  Which is it?

Mine was closed over two years ago, and I did not see any decline over the first 12 months after ligation.

These people are so desperate to be published that you read all sorts of nonsense in these medical journals.  I've been reading them for years and have rarely found anything useful and/or peer reviewed.  In fact, there have been too many scandals in the world of medical publishing for my liking.

Also, what on earth do they mean when they write that the creation of an AV fistula "may retard CKD progression in the general population"?  I've never heard of such a thing.  So, should nephs have their CKD patients who are in, say, stage 3 get a fistula to "retard progression" of their CKD?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 05:43:52 AM »

Authors all appear to be from Belgium.  When I received dialysis in Brussels everyone was on button holes, so my question is the AV closed via surgery or via natural closure?  If natural closure I wonder if button holes are more likely to close up (because they don't get the bulging that non button holes make).

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
jmintuck

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 08:37:27 PM »

I would NOT get my fistula closed up in any event, barring accidental somehow, which I would go right back to the doctor over. I don't care if my kidneys are now going to wake up now or why it would happen.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 06:38:59 AM »

I would NOT get my fistula closed up in any event, barring accidental somehow, which I would go right back to the doctor over. I don't care if my kidneys are now going to wake up now or why it would happen.

Well, remember we are talking POST transplant.

Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control, and you have to make the best decision for yourself at the time.

I personally would have preferred to keep my fistula despite the fact that I had never had to use it and still had it after my tx.  But it became dangerous, and on the advice of my tx nephrologist, my PCP and my vascular surgeon, who was I to be stubborn about it?  I know that should my transplant fail and I have to go on dialysis, I'll have to have another fistula created, but that would be better than having my fistula make the blood vessels in my neck continue to grow and possibly start to grow into my head.

Never say never!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jmintuck

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 08:33:42 PM »

I would have to "keep" a vascular surgeon and get the odd angio to look for something like that at times, just for added protection.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »