I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:20:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  WHY!?!?!? Coffee and SOME Hot Chocolate and Mocha...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WHY!?!?!? Coffee and SOME Hot Chocolate and Mocha...  (Read 4841 times)
jmintuck

« on: October 23, 2016, 07:45:11 PM »

How the lovin' poo-poo can I consume these with NO side effects, when I can NOT eat tomatoes or even the revered Scalloped Potatoes at ALL!!??  The revered Scalloped Potatoes nearly did away with me, hell, even a 1/2 serving, if even that. GEZ!

I can get away with assloads of 1/2 cups of coffee, DON'T ASK how many! But, several. I ALWAYS choose 1/2, to TRY to extend on any fluid restriction by staying slower than I used to. And a Mocha?? I NEVER died on a Mocha or a 2/3 cup of Hot

Chocolate mix in Hot Water like I imagined. When I had the Mocha back at the Hospital donut Kiosk, I thought "Jimmy, You Did It Now"! In a disgusted way like a dad would do when his little Jimmy did something. I just watched out for anything wierd, but

nothing happened AT ALL! Wierd. I know some problems with Potassium exist, but wow.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:28:29 PM »

I have to wonder if pre-soaking the cut potatoes and changing the water would leach out some of the potassium.   Cooked finally and rinsed again afterwards before either mashing them or baking with the cheese/gravy or whatever the current concoction calls for.  I could also remove an amount of the starchy carbs as well.

I had to keep soaking and rinsing fresh shrimp to remove the iodine otherwise Wife would react almost like food poisoning.

Worth asking questions of your Dietician.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 12:54:44 PM »

Double boiling spuds definitely works to reduce K+ (potassium 😆)

Love y'all, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:34:17 PM »

Everything in moderation.  A bite is better than nothing.  One tiny piece of pizza and chew as long as you can is better than not having any.  At least that is what I think.

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 08:40:56 PM »

Like the Lays Potato Chip commercial.  Betcha can't eat just ONE.     I know I can't, so I won't even eat just one.  Or I'll eat the whole bag.

Self-control is very difficult to rein in once you go ahead and take that first bite.
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:25:09 PM »

Soaking potatoes does help leach out the K AND some of the starch so it makes for a fluffier final mash. :thumbup;

I think you could probably slice the potatoes thin for scalloped and soak the same way. Grandma always diced some and soaked them overnight for fried breakfast potatoes. My problem here is that potatoes are nothing without a touch of salt, and that's the one thing that moderation doesn't seem to do anything for me. A single grain will make me puff and make my UF low that night. Darn.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 08:07:24 AM »

Who can have salt?

I had to laugh at this mornings news, an article about salt treatments.  A room covered in salt, floor ,walls, cieling, people are paying to sit in there and soak up the infused air.  They are claiming many health benefits, especially for some people with asthma.  Compared the 'ambiance' air with that of salt mines, that people have been treating themselves inside salt mines for many many years.

I think I'll pass.  I retain enough water already.
jmintuck

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 07:47:25 PM »

Who can have salt?

I had to laugh at this mornings news, an article about salt treatments.  A room covered in salt, floor ,walls, cieling, people are paying to sit in there and soak up the infused air.  They are claiming many health benefits, especially for some people with asthma.  Compared the 'ambiance' air with that of salt mines, that people have been treating themselves inside salt mines for many many years.

I think I'll pass.  I retain enough water already.

I think I will just pass, as well. I am scared to irritate anything than I already do and even get the odd treat. Was put into a pretty serious challenge last weekend. Didn't get sick from it. Just will NOT entertain more fire than what there is that can be safely played with, outside accidental challenges.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »