I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:39:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  What I have found to normally replace tomatoes nicely
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What I have found to normally replace tomatoes nicely  (Read 4800 times)
jmintuck

« on: October 20, 2016, 08:33:10 PM »

Mostly my replacements can be Hot sauce or, once in a while, a few bits of HP Sauce or BBQ sauce. Mostly I love the Louisiana Hot Sauce anyhow. Those 3 are the best replacements for tomatoes. I have done very well with FAR less tomatoes and ketchup than I ever dreamed that I could.

I just have to find a vegetable juice with no tomatoes if that is possible. I hope so. IDK why the current Motts has the tomatoes in it. I found that I don't miss the Motts Spicy Clamato, HELL, I never really thought anything of it till now. I missed it for a minute when I
thought of it, but it is NOT worth the risk of a monstrous arrow to the Achille's Heel with the killer yelling behind me like crazy.

I have even been thinking: Make the pizza delivery places, when I order a pizza, have them 100 PERCENT replace ANY existence of tomato sauce with HOT sauce, INSTEAD, and give that a try. Explain that my special diet doesn't allow much room for any real tomatoes and try it out with HOT SAUCE as a replacement. Might be pretty damn good, actually, though I will BURN and be happy. I love sweating like a pig with hot sauce. Perfect for the Winter months. THIS: Might help me out with the dang pizza conundrum for my scenario.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:52:15 PM by jmintuck » Logged
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 06:27:37 AM »

We have a Casey's General Store.  They are really just another gas station mini-mart with a pizza oven.  They make a 'Taco' Pizza using a bean spread instead of tomato sauce.  Not bad.  You could easily leave off the diced tomato.  Maybe even substitute your favorite meats, etc.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:44:49 PM »

Has anyone used red hot sauce in place of tomato sauce or ketchup on meatloaf? Any luck? Looking for a low potassium/low sodium substitute for ketchup. Anyone try green tomatillo sauce?

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 04:43:15 AM »

I'd be leery that tomatillo's being a direct relative of the tomato would still be high in potassium.  The green is only more chlorofill(sp) from the UN-ripe fruit. i.e., green tomato relish, fried green tomatos, etc..

Many hot sauces do have a red color that may also be do to much of the peppers in it, I just have a problem with so much vinegar in some of them.  Taco Bell sauce packets having pepper but I would bet if I checked the ingredients I would find tomato.

That old thing 'All things in moderation' applies to our potassium intake, there is a small acceptable amount we can have in our WEEKLY diet.  Not that we can have so much, or so often, but on rare occasion we can still enjoy some things as long as we do not over do it.  An occasional SLICE, NOT half of the pizza.  That's the hardest part.  To set a realistic limit and stick to it.

Dialysis does remove a small amount of potassium.  The one that is a huge problem is phosphorus, as I understand it, Dialysis does NOT remove phosphorus.  Thus we have Binders which unfortunately though I eat them like candy, My phos is double what it was while on PD.  Maybe I just need to take MORE Binders?

If only there was something like that which could help with potassium without the nasty side effects of the emergency liquid stuff they gave me to take in case of power outages and no dialysis.  From what I have read Diarrhea is expected.  Who wants that?  Not I!

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:45:54 AM »

I agree with ya, Charlie B53. "Everything in moderation" is sort of a must for us all, with kidney disease or not. My husband LOVES ketchup on meatloaf. Rich, thick delicious KETCHUP. But he also knows to watch his potassium. I am making a "kidney friendly" meatloaf and I suppose since it is low in all the other bad stuff, he could have a little ketchup on it. And it's not like we have ketchup every day, so maybe once in awhile on meatloaf won't be too bad. He said he'd be willing to try green tomatillo sauce, so I am curious about that.

I thought that since potassium is considered a large molecule, it is harder to be removed by dialysis. It can build up in your body and be dangerous and tomatoes or food made with tomatoes or tomato sauce can contain a lot of potassium, thus my reason for finding a substitute. But a palatable one. I don't want to cook my husband yucky food. I read that tomatillos contain way less sodium, potassium and phos than tomatoes so wanted to give that a try but am also leery of what else is in a bottle of sauce. I hate reading labels, not all are alike. Some tell you how much potassium is in something, some don't. Gets to be very frustrating. I keep a list and don't bother with food that comes with labels that don't include info that I am needing.

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:48:42 AM »

100 grams raw chopped tomatillos contain 268mg potassium,

100 grams crushed canned tomatoes contain 297mg potassium

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 06:17:22 PM »

I was reading that a person with healthy kidneys can have up to 3500-4500 mg's of potassium a day while those with acute or severe kidney disease should limit their potassium to 2000 mg's a day. Of course consulting with your own dietician is best...Anyway, I don't know if/when I will make this but just found a recipe for "tomato free ketchup" online. It's made with pureed red bell peppers! As for the brown sugar in it, my diabetic husband says he can compensate by increasing his insulin dose. Regular ketchup has sugar in it too but this recipe is without the potassium, a real bonus! Like I said, I don't know if/when but may be worth it.

http://www.sodiumgirl.com/low-sodium-low-potassium-ketchup/

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 05:31:09 AM »

There is a surprising amount of sugar in ketchup. Son, however, must not think it enough as he adds even more.  And I have to admit that noodles with ketchup, and a little sugar, is a great occasional meal as is tomatoes and macaroni with sugar also added.  Both relatively quick and easy to fix.

Thanks K&S for posting the potassium content of both.  I thought they would be near the same being the same class of plants.

The pureed red bell peppers is a great idea!  The sweet peppers have a natural sweetness that may even reduce the need for much sugar and can reduce the need for much of any sugar to be added.  Peppers are one thing that does well in my garden every year.  I may have to try cleaning and puree'ing some, perhaps adding a bit of lemon juice to see if I can extend the refrigeration shelf life.

Has anyone else caught the item in the news IIRC Sunday morning on a grape skin product currently being used to spray coat soft fruit, sealing out oxygen and greatly extending the shelf life of the fruit before spoiling?  Amazing stuff!  And since it is an extract of the grape it is NOT just some chemical concoction but a natural element of a food product.  Currently being used by some growers to reduce spoilage thus increasing profits from their crops. This is going to be a huge benefit as currently it is figured that almost 40% of produce ends up in the trash due to spoilage at all stages, from the farm to and including the end consumer.  Produce withers and gets tossed at every point, including from our home refrigerators.  Reducing spoilage easily keeping this produce edible reduces waste and can help make our food dollars go farther. While I have never indulged in the Stock Market, fear of losing, this is one stock that should prove to be a very wise investment. If one had money and could afford to invest.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »