I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:51:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Rejection after nearly 3 years. Could my polycystic liver hurt my kidney?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rejection after nearly 3 years. Could my polycystic liver hurt my kidney?  (Read 9331 times)
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2016, 10:31:37 AM »

So sorry you're going through all this.  Loss of hope is probably one of the most painful states of mind/heart. It's a huge loss.  But it does lead the way for moving on to whatever the next step is. 

I witnessed C. diff.  in my late husband as he died from Leukemia.  It's horrible.  My heart goes out to you--in more ways than one.

You could do a lot worse than PD.  I'm happy you have this option.  I've been doing PD now since last January.  Of all the D options, it is the least intrusive.  So far it is working well for me and I'd choose it--any day-- over hemo. 

Be well, AngiePKD.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »

O woman those treatments sound horrific, and than c-dif on top....... I'm sorry too that you had to go through that. And I'll be joining MM in doing the hoping.
And of course I hope PD will go a treat.

:flower;

Lots of love, luck and strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Angiepkd

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 08:48:11 PM »

Thank you all so much!  Doing hemo at the hospital 3 times per week right now.  They have finally gotten 90% of the fluid removed, which is a big improvement. My creatinine has been steady at 7.4-7.9. Today's labs came back at 6.0. I am hoping this is a sign of better things to come. The transplant doc said he wasn't sure what to make of it, but reminded me not to get my hopes up. No appointments made to see if I will qualify for PD, and still on all meds, so there must be a smidge of hope.  CDiff is still kicking my butt.  Stomach cramps, etc.  Praying the meds finally get rid of it.

To add a little perspective to my situation...
I met a very nice lady who has treatments scheduled at the same time as me. She is in a wheel chair, on oxygen, and waiting for a heart/lung transplant.  She is having fluid removed so that she can have the transplant if a match comes up.  This woman has been through quite a lot, but always smiles and jokes. Today, while her husband was at the desk signing her in, she told me that this week she had contemplated suicide. Wow.  I didn't know what to say.  She is tired of the appointments, feeling bad, everything that comes with organ failure. I tried to remind her how many people loved and cared about her, and asked her to hold on a little while longer. I told her husband what she said later, because I felt obligated to say something. He said he was aware, and is keeping a close eye on her. 

I left there today, walking to the garage and driving myself home, and I realized that things I have going on could be much worse.  I think God sends people to me who show me how lucky I am just to wake up every day.  It's time to stop whining and get back to dialysis. Still praying for a miracle, but ready to accept the inevitable if need be. 

Thanks for listening.  If you could find the time to say a little prayer for my sweet friend, I would greatly appreciate it. She needs all the help she can get.

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2016, 05:13:06 AM »

So good that you are out of the hospital and could leave on your own steam.  Carry on.  Have you or your team considered a fecal implant to deal with the C. diff?  It's a "gross" concept, but I have heard that it works well in this kind of situation.  Best of continuing luck.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gastroenterology_hepatology/clinical_services/advanced_endoscopy/fecal_transplantation.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3365524/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:19:40 AM by kickingandscreaming » Logged

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Xplantdad

Health is not valued till sickness comes. T.Fuller

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 06:47:52 AM »

Hi Angie-I just read through all of what you are going through. We are hoping for the best for you-and we WILL say prayers for you and your friend. I can't imagine the feelings that you are having-I can only relate that my 26 year old daughter now routinely says that she HATES everything to do with dialysis-and all that goes with it. My heart breaks a little more every time I hear her say that...

This disease totally sucks. FWIW, I am the caregiver for my daughter who is waiting for a transplant-and she's had to deal with 5 of her older friends from the Fresenius clinic pass away for various reasons due to ESRD. We do home hemo...so we're not at the clinic any more except for the once a month visits.

We sincerely hope that your kidney rebounds and starts functioning well again-and that 2017 starts off with good news as well. Please continue to keep us updated  :grouphug;

My name is Bruce and I am the caregiver for my daughter Holly who is 31 years old and received her kidney transplant on December 22, 2016 :)
Holly's Facebook Kidney  page: https://www.facebook.com/Hollys.transplantpage/

Holly had a heart transplant at the age of 5 1/2 months in 1990. Heart is still doing GREAT!  :thumbup;
Holly was on hemodialysis for 2.5 years-We did NXStage home hemo from January 2016 to December 22, 2016
Holly's best Christmas ever occurred on December 22, 2016 when a compassionate family in their time of grief gave Holly the ultimate gift...a kidney!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2016, 08:09:53 AM »

I'm praying for you and your friend.  :cuddle;

I'm pleased that you are out of the hospital.  At least there's that.

If there is anything we can do you help you or to make your life that just little bit more bearable, please do let us know.

I'm still holding on to hope for your kidney.  Hope can be a scary thing, but that doesn't mean it has to be avoided at all costs.  Sometimes life really does offer up a surprise or two.

Please keep us updated.  I for one check IHD each day hoping to see a post from you. 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2016, 02:16:04 PM »

Like a guardian angel, perhaps you were at the right place at the right time for your new friend.   :angel;

I found this on wiki.

A guardian angel is an angel that is assigned to protect and guide a particular person, group, kingdom, or country. Belief in guardian angels can be traced throughout all antiquity. The concept of tutelary angels and their hierarchy was extensively developed in Christianity in the 5th century by Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite.

The theology of angels and tutelary spirits has undergone many refinements since the 5th century. Belief in both the East and the West is that guardian angels serve to protect whichever person God assigns them to,[1] and present prayer to God on that person's behalf.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Angiepkd

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »

Thank you all so much!  Kickingandscreaming, I haven't heard about fecal implants before, but it does sound gross!  I will have to ask about that. My symptoms seem to be subsiding a little.  I just finished my 14 days of oral vancomycin, after 10 days of flagyl (sp?) and have now had 2 doses of IV vancomycin. I am hoping this will take care of it. They did give me some pain meds to help me sleep, which is wonderful.
PrimeTimer, I very much believe in guardian angels!  And I think she may have been sent to me for a little reality check. Even though I am devastated at the thought of going through dialysis again, I am still doing so much better than many others. I am trying to stay positive!
The transplant doc told me to schedule an appointment with my surgeon to be evaluated for PD and have the catheter placed if I am a good candidate.  Still on the anti-rejection meds, but their hope is dwindling.  I am still praying for that miracle every time I have labs drawn. 
Thank you all for listening and offering support!  It means a lot!
Tomorrow is another dialysis day, and a chance for that miracle to lower my numbers!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 10:03:46 AM »

Angie, I've heard of fecal transplants and actually saw a documentary about them.  (What does that say about my viewing habits?   :urcrazy;)  I found this that may be of interest to you.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gastroenterology_hepatology/clinical_services/advanced_endoscopy/fecal_transplantation.html

How is your husband handling all of this?  It must be tough on him, too.  I'm sure you are able to support each other.

Since the docs have been able to rid you of antibodies, do they have any educated guesses as to what is actually happening to your kidney?

I'm still holding onto lots of hope for you.

Thanks so much for keeping us posted.  If it becomes too much of a burden to post about your situation, then please stop.  You don't owe us anything.   :grouphug;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2016, 01:24:29 PM »

Dear Angie I am sending you my best wishes and I am thinking of you
and send you my good-luck-wishes,
Kristina :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Angiepkd

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2016, 08:07:49 PM »

Hubby and I are still holding out for a miracle. He has been great through this whole thing, and aside from being too overprotective, has kept a positive attitude. 
Since the Cdiff seems to be gone, I am going to hold off on any fecal implants 😂 
The kidney doc's are confused by my kidney's lack of recovery after removing the antibodies. I have had 4 biopsies, and none of them have given any clear insight as to what's going on.  They are as disappointed as I am.  My creatinine on Friday was 5.9, down from 6.7.  I was pretty excited about any decrease, but the docs didn't really share my enthusiasm. I guess Monday's labs will tell me more, as my numbers always increase after having 2 days off. They have lowered my dry weight to see if it will reduce my swelling and blood pressure, and I am trying not to be fluid overloaded. It's hard not to drink after being pushed to drink more for almost 3 years! 

It helps me to be able to post about all of this, and I appreciate you all taking time to respond.  I am slowly wrapping my head around the fact that dialysis may be my future. It just really stinks that I didn't even get 3 years out of my transplant. I was banking on at least 10.

Thank you all, again!  When that miracle happens, I will be sure to let you know!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »