I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 10:19:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My worst emotional breakdown since dialysis started
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My worst emotional breakdown since dialysis started  (Read 11421 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 10:03:30 AM »

Hey, I told you that story in confidence!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »

Well, I would just wait for the NxStage, but my emotions are so unstable right now because of the stuff in the centre, if I waited, I might not be around in four to six months. I want to get going on home hemo as soon as possible, and maybe in a year or two, I can switch to the NxStage. I think, for now at least, the 2008K will be a better machine for me anyway. I know it's more labour intensive, but that doesn't bother me at all.

I don't know what the right answer is but You need to do what ever it takes to ease your emotions immediately. Nxstage will be around awhile when your ready plus by the time you are ready they may improve it even more than they have. Good Luck Adam.
Duane

I'm glad to be here.

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 08:03:45 PM »

Adam, I'm new to this forum and know very little about dialysis, i'm learning something every day.

I like to take charge and be in control of me and my health, etc.

In the beginning of dialysis at a center, it's designed for you to have as little to worry yourself about as possible. They tell us to work on our diet and take our med's, things like that.

Later on in time you will be trained for home hemo.

i look at it like this; my best control of my life got me there, so now that i'm there i let them do there job to keep me alive.

Home Hemo is not for me at this time and the reason i say that is i don't trust enough on that level like some do and i want a nurse there Now if something goes wrong. That's just me.

Maybe i'm wrong but i don't think so.  Dialysis Center is the right place for you at this moment in your life.

1 Corinthians 9:24  In a race, everyone runs but only one person gets first prize. So run your race to win.
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 08:27:59 PM »

Well, I'm getting the NxStage after all (through a different centre that just opened). I should start training next week :) :) :). I've also been doing my own dressing change for my permacath at home with my own supplies. Most of the clinic staff have stopped asking to change it. As for dealing with being so helpless at the centre, I've started working on a scale model kit while I'm on the machine, and that helps me keep my mind off of my frustrations. It also generates lots of conversation from the staff and fellow patients. Right now I'm building a very intricate and detailed model of the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien, a WWII cargo ship, and most of it has been completed at the dialysis centre while I'm on the machine. Sometimes when I'm working on it, I almost forget I'm even hooked to a machine, ALMOST :). I think things are starting to really improve for me, and I thank you all for your support, it means a lot to me.

Adam

p.s. If anyone would like to see photos of the O'Brien as I'm building it, I'd be more than happy to post some.

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 04:46:42 AM »

Congratulations Adam i hope it is right for you.  :beer1;
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007, 05:39:53 AM »

Great to hear Adam..    :clap;   i hope all goes well.

Amanda
xxoo
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2007, 04:53:57 PM »

Adam, I'd like to see the model.  Why don't you add them to the "Hobbies" thread we have going in off topic?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 12:33:31 AM »

Right after I was taken off the machine, the depression just hit me all at once, and I ACTUALLY COLLAPSED ON THE FLOOR NEXT TO MY MACHINE! Adam

I totally feel like doing this! Dialysis can make you feel emotionally drained and frustrated sometimes

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 12:07:35 PM »

Hi Adam, glad things are looking up.   :thumbup; Yes please post  photos.
cabarle

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 01:00:35 PM »

Well, I'm getting the NxStage after all (through a different centre that just opened). I should start training next week :) :) :). I've also been doing my own dressing change for my permacath at home with my own supplies. Most of the clinic staff have stopped asking to change it. As for dealing with being so helpless at the centre, I've started working on a scale model kit while I'm on the machine, and that helps me keep my mind off of my frustrations. It also generates lots of conversation from the staff and fellow patients. Right now I'm building a very intricate and detailed model of the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien, a WWII cargo ship, and most of it has been completed at the dialysis centre while I'm on the machine. Sometimes when I'm working on it, I almost forget I'm even hooked to a machine, ALMOST :). I think things are starting to really improve for me, and I thank you all for your support, it means a lot to me.

Adam

p.s. If anyone would like to see photos of the O'Brien as I'm building it, I'd be more than happy to post some.

Adam,

Because I'm a member of the U.S. Navy League, I have a keen interest in ships. PLEASE POST! I want to see.

Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »

Some of my ship models are posted in the "hobbies and stuff" thread in off-topic, but I've since improved some of them, and added a couple new ones. As soon as I dig my camera out, I'll post some new pics of them. As for the original subject of this thread, I sometimes look back on that time when I felt so betrayed and helpless as a new (and young) dialysis patient, and reflect on how far I've come in the last year. I felt like a totally new man that day when I stopped being a "passenger" in my dialysis, and became the "pilot". I hated that time in-centre, but I also learned a hell of a lot. Oh, well. I'm where I need to be right now.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)

Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2008, 10:52:55 AM »

Adam

Adam,

Because I'm a member of the U.S. Navy League, I have a keen interest in ships. PLEASE POST! I want to see.

I've posted my latest ship models in "hobbies and stuff" in OT.

Adam

spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 07:55:19 AM »

I'm so sorry, Adam. I passed out cold the first time my nurse changed my permacath dressing. I can't stand to have other people change my dressing either. I went to CVS and bought all the supplies (expensive! but worth it!) and now I change my own dressing and won't let any nurses touch it. :/ I hope you are able to come up with a solution that makes you feel better. Don't give up. <3

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
keith

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 08:22:03 AM »

yo  adam  i understand how u feel cause i felt da same way but i guess dat my wife and my kids were da reason dat i had a chance of heart i guess dat u have to find sumthing dat can or will take ur mind off of dailysis if u have a hobby or try 2 get da dressing change ur self  :grouphug;

Life ain't Life wit out Me!!! U Heard Me  
Transplanted on 12-6-2007 on dialysis7+yrs
Started Dover dialysis support group. A group for patients, familyand friends.
NOW RUN-Tel-Dat
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »