I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 07:05:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Black Strap Molasses Bran Muffins
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Strap Molasses Bran Muffins  (Read 5982 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: October 05, 2016, 11:06:15 PM »

Anyone have experience with black strap molasses and adding it to a bran muffin recipe? Does it help the fiber content and taste? Looking to make dark bran muffins, the kind that are as dark as chocolate but with no raisins. Suggestions welcomed.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 05:20:03 AM »

I don't think blackstrap is very good tasting.  No fiber that i know of. But it has iron.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 01:38:53 PM »

I don't think blackstrap is very good tasting.  No fiber that i know of. But it has iron.

Thanks for responding. I see a lot of recipes online but can't seem to find one for those dark-colored bran muffins. Seems the darker they are the more bran they have in them and more tasty they are coming out of a hot oven (with a pat of butter on them of course!). I shall keep looking.

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 01:58:21 PM »

Try plain molasses--although it has a higher sugar content which isn't ideal for a diabetic.  Bran itself isn't considered renal friendly.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 09:04:31 PM »

Something like this? https://cozywalls.com/2012/05/04/blackstrap-molasses-bran-muffins-honestly/

Can I just say... those look AWESOME! They're dense like cupcakes. And the idea of peanut butter on them is also really good... I might have to make some myself.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 09:35:34 PM »

Something like this? https://cozywalls.com/2012/05/04/blackstrap-molasses-bran-muffins-honestly/

Can I just say... those look AWESOME! They're dense like cupcakes. And the idea of peanut butter on them is also really good... I might have to make some myself.

THANK YOU! Those are what I am talking about! Like K&S said, bran isn't exactly renal -friendly and molasses isn't diabetic-friendly but when he's desperate to feel the uh, "end results of fiber", my husband will eat oatmeal cream pies. Those do the trick but I thought maybe bran muffins might be a little healthier or at least offer him some variety. You know life has changed when we get excited over a recipe with bran in it.  :bow;

Fabkiwi06

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 10:05:58 PM »

I would think that one of those muffins and a strong cup of coffee should keep things going just fine...  :clap;

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 04:50:13 AM »

I would think that a nice bowl of oatmeal on a fairly regular basis would have more fiber effect than bran.  Oatmeal is a soluble fiber whereas bran is insoluble.  Both are important but I think soluble has the edge. Insoluble needs to be taken with a lot liquid.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 08:56:16 AM »

Not today as I am 'in-patient', but once home I will make these as I like a good muffin with either coffee, tea, or a plain glass of milk.

I do make myself oatmeal, just not every day.  So it would be easy to add these muffins to my list of handy yet 'not bad' foods I can have.

Thanks Ladies.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 10:01:48 AM »

I would think that a nice bowl of oatmeal on a fairly regular basis would have more fiber effect than bran.  Oatmeal is a soluble fiber whereas bran is insoluble.  Both are important but I think soluble has the edge. Insoluble needs to be taken with a lot liquid.

That's exactly what I've told him. I think a small cup of oatmeal nuked in the microwave would be the "way to go" but he doesn't want to have to add milk to it, as he'd have to include that in his daily fluid intake limit.  ::)  I say whatever...

jmintuck

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 12:31:09 AM »

I DON'T get excited over bran anything. Not that I hate it. Because it is not so renal friendly, I just will deal as little with bran as possible and avoidable. I am holding onto my renal diet, except for very occasional small cheats at times to moderate my potassium, or Kryptonite. I am so phobic of it getting to a blood level of roughly 4.5 and up.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »