I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:08:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  heart attacks in women are different
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: heart attacks in women are different  (Read 3104 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: April 12, 2007, 10:38:01 AM »

Just received this from a friend.  Think it is important info.

"Having just attended an all day conference sponsored by the Cedar-Sinai Woman's Heart Clinic and the importance of the fact that Heart Disease in Woman is their #1 killer and that the symptoms of heart attacks in women are different than men I think this is an important article. I know that it is long but very worthwhile. Love Pat"

(Here is a detailed account about heart attacks for women, written by a woman who had one)

Having had a completely unexpected heart attack about 10:30 p.m. with no prior exertion, no prior emotional trauma that one might suspect would have brought it on, happened this past April,'06, about 1-1/2 hours after I'd spent a pleasant 2 hours rehearsing with the Note-a-Belles.

I was sitting all snuggly and warm on a cold evening, with my purring cat in my lap, reading an interesting story my friend had sent me, and actually thinking, "Aaah, this is the life, all cozy and warm in my soft, cushy Lazy Boy with my feet propped up." A moment later, I felt an awful sensation of indigestion, like when you've been in a hurry and grabbed a bite of sandwich and washed it down with a dash of water, and that hurried bite seems to feel like you've swallowed a golf ball going down the esophagus in slow motion and it is most uncomfortable . You realize you shouldn't have gulped it down so fast and needed to chew it more thoroughly and you drink a glass of water to hasten its progress down to the stomach, which doesn't do much good, as your esophagus and throat muscles are in spasm and it hurts to swallow.

This was my initial sensation---the only trouble was that I hadn't taken a bite of anything since about 5:00 p.m. After that sensation seemed to subside, the next feeling was like little squeezing motions that seemed to be racing up my SPINE (hind-sight, it was probably my aorta spasming), gaining speed as they continued racing up and under my sternum (breast bone, where one presses rhythmically when administering CPR). This fascinating process continued on into my throat and branched out into both jaws.

AHA! I soon stopped puzzling about what was happening. We all have read and/or heard about pain in the jaws being one of the signals of a he art attack happening, haven't we?

I said aloud to myself and the cat, "Dear God, I think I'm having a heart attack!" I lowered the footrest, dumping the cat from my lap, started to take a step and immediately fell on the floor. I thought to myself, "If this is a heart attack, I shouldn't be walking into the next room where the phone is or anywhere else.......but, on the other hand, if I don't, nobody will know that I need help. And if I wait any longer, I may not be able to get up in moment."

I pulled myself up with the arms of the chair, walked slowly into the next room and dialed the paramedics. I guess when one reaches them, your address automatically flashes on a screen, as the operator verified my address immediately and asked my symptoms.

I told her I thought I was having a heart attack due to the pressure building under the sternum and radiating into my jaws. I didn't feel hysterical or afraid, just stating the facts, ma'am. She said she was sending the paramedics over immediately, asked if the front door was near to me, and if so, to unbolt the door and then lie down on the floor where they could see me when they came in. No, I didn't take an aspirin, as I'm allergic to it, but I did take a 100 mg magnesium oxide capsule...which I keep in reach on the kitchen counter...which is a small detour on my way to the front door...with about a 3/4 glass of water to get it dissolving ASAP into my bloodstream.

Magnesium relaxes blood vessels as it dissolves to get them expanded to let blood get through the constriction of the vessels. I then laid down on the floor as instructed and lost consciousness, as I don't remember the medics coming in...their examination...lifting me onto a gurney or getting me into their ambulance...or hearing the call they made to St. Jude ER on the way. But I did briefly awaken when we arrived and saw that the cardiologist was already there in his surgical blues and cap, helping the medics pull my stretcher out of the ambulance.

He was bending over me asking questions (probably something like "Have you taken any medications?") but I couldn't make my mind interpret what he was saying, or form an answer, and nodded off again...not waking up until the cardiologist and partner had already threaded the tiny angiogram balloon up my femoral artery into the aorta and into my heart where they installed two side-by-side stents to hold open my right coronary artery. I was being taken into the CCU, and looking up at the three anxious faces of Karen, Mark, and Wendy. Since I'd been a patient at St. Jude in 2002 for my TIA treatment, they had my emergency info in their system and had called my kids. I spent two days in CCU and two in general ward, and then was discharged.

I know it sounds like all my thinking and actions at home must have taken at least 20 -30 minutes before calling the paramedics, but actually it took perhaps 4-5 minutes before the call, and both the fire station and St. Jude are only minutes away from my home, and my Cardiologist was already to go to the OR in his scrubs and get going on restarting my heart (which had stopped somewhere between my arrival and the procedure) and installing the stents.

Why have I written all of this to you with so much detail? Because I want all of you who are so important in my life to know what I learned firsthand, as a Certified Medical Back-Office Assistant in Internal Medicine Clinics, and as one who has lived through a heart attack due to:

1. Being aware that something very different was happening in my body ...not the usual men's symptoms, but inexplicable things happening (until my sternum and jaws got into the act). It is said that many more women than men die of their first and last. MI because they didn't know they were having one, and commonly mistake it as indigestion...take some Maalox or other anti-"heartburn" preparation...and go to bed...hoping they'll feel better in the morning when they wake up....which doesn't happen.

My female friends, your symptoms might not be exactly like mine, so I advise you to call the paramedics if ANYTHING is unpleasantly happening that you haven't felt before. It's better to have a "false alarm" visitation than to risk your life guessing what it might be. Believe me.

2. Note that I said "Call the Paramedics," ladies. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE! Do NOT try to drive yourself to the ER. You're a hazard to others on the road, and so is your panicked husband/friend who will be speeding and looking anxiously at what's happening with you instead of the road, and so are your kids or friends a hazard as well. As sure as I write this, this will get the attention of a cop who will pull you over for speeding--resulting in more wasted time.
    Do NOT call your doctor--he doesn't know where you live and if it's at night you won't reach him anyway, and if it's daytime, his assistants (or answering service) will tell you to call the Paramedics. He doesn't carry the equipment in his car that you need to be saved. The Paramedics have everything you need--principally OXYGEN that you'll need ASAP. Your doc will be notified later.

3. Don't assume it couldn't be a heart attack because you have a normal cholesterol count -- I did, and still do. Research has discovered that a cholesterol elevated reading is rarely the cause of an MI (unless it's unbelievably high, and/or accompanied by high blood pressure.) MI's are usually caused by long-term stress and inflammation in the body, which dumps all sorts of deadly hormones into your system to sludge things up in there (and, of course, family genetics can be a factor. I qualify for the latter, and the years 2005 and 2006 have been the most stressful of my life since Jack died in 1981.)

4. Read on for the e-mail I received today that prompted my above lecture to you:

SUBJECT: Drinking ice water at mealtime (which I've always done until now.)
    Noting that neither Urban Legends nor Snopes has anything to say about this one, it must be true. Interesting, if you've read it before, re-read it. It may save your life. Send it to your friends and family. It may save their lives....

This is a very good article. Not only about drinking warm water after your meal, but about ladies and their heart attacks. This makes sense...the Chinese and Japanese drink hot tea with their meals...not cold water...maybe it's time we adopt their drinking habits while eating. Nothing to lose--everything to gain...

For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable to you. It's nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. H owever, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed. It will slow down the digestion. Once this "sludge" reacts with the stomach's hydrochloric acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm water after a meal. (Make it green tea--which is a great antioxidant!)

A serious note about heart attacks: Women should know that not every heart attack symptom is going to be the left arm hurting. Be aware of intense pain in the jaw line, or even pressure there and under sternum, or "indigestion" symptoms, especially if you haven't eaten in several hours. You may never have the first chest pain during the course of a heart attack, but heaviness /pressure under the sternum is common.

Nausea and intense sweating are also common symptoms, but not necessarily in women. 60% of people who have heart attacks while they are asleep do not wake up.

Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. Let's be careful and be aware. The more we know, the better chance we could survive.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this email and sends it to ten people, you can be sure that we'll save at least one life.

**Be a true friend, and send this article to all the friends you care about.**

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 02:27:18 PM »

Anyone else on here had a heartattack, possibly kidney failure related ? I had my second one on New Years eve (great) No i was not out partying , was sat quietly at home ! For me both times i just got an intense pain in the middle of my chest and i mean intense, and started to pour with sweat , like someone had poured a bucket of water over me! Both episodes only lasted minutes although it didnt seem like it at the time, and i just basically sat them both out , being on my own ..i did have an ECG 2 days after the second one , but it seems if you dont have one done within the first 24hrs its difficult to pick up on , the renal unit are aware of what happened and guess what ..nothing was done!!
For anyone worried about if they are having a heartattack , not all start in the same way , my mum had a MAJOR one last year and that started with a pain in her right shoulder (she thought she had pulled a muscle) but it was the onset of her heartattack, so i think its difficult to say ..this is a list of signs , because everyone is different!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 03:46:18 PM »

I am still in awe about the "cold water after meals" factor.   ???

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 06:14:22 PM »

Great article, thanks for posting.  I don't think I agree with the whole cold water after a meal thing.  I mean, your internal temp is around 98-99 degrees (F).  When you take a gulp of cold water, how long do you think it takes for that water to warm to body temp?  It might not be instantaneous, but it doesn't sit around as an ice block in your stomach while you take hours to digest your food.    ???

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 06:21:14 PM »

I've read that it's better to drink things ice cold, because the body has to expend energy to bring up the temperature, and that burns calories.  Besides, a lack of information on Snopes does not make something true!

The point is moot anyhow.  I'm not drinking a big glass of ice cold anything, before, during, or after any meal these days!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »