I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:18:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  Disability Payments not enough
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disability Payments not enough  (Read 5013 times)
Fabkiwi06

« on: September 21, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »

Please move if this isn't in the right section :)

So, Money is insanely tight for me lately - and to add insult to injury, my car has decided to die. Roommate is planning on moving out in a few months, but the lease isn't up until May so I'm stuck here (signed on before I got sick). I'm supposed to be getting an inheritance but that has been tied up with a bunch of legal stuff...  :Kit n Stik;

Point being, I'm broke beyond belief.

I do get a disability check monthly, but it barely covers my half of the rent and utilities. There's nothing left over... my parents have been helping out with everything else. They're at their limit though (understandably). I'd love to be working, but between dealing with the D and the now defunct car, that's looking much harder to do as well.

Is it possible to get that check readjusted? How difficult is it to do that? I do have an appointment at the end of the month to talk to my social worker, but if this is something I can do myself and sooner, I'd be happier. I'm not looking for a vacation to Hawaii or anything, but I would like to be able to pay my phone bill and not have to dig in my change jar every time I need groceries.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 04:41:24 AM »

If you are on social security disability the only option I know of is if you are in your twenties you can get your amount based on your parents work history instead of your own. This is based on the fact you did not get a chance to build a work history of your own.  You need to talk to your landlord and see if they will let you walk away from the lease, if not contact legalaid.  There is the old adage you can't get blood from a stone. Plus your disability if it's from social security is protected from being taken from you.  My step daughter has enormous student loans and is very ill, every now and then they threaten to sue,  my answer has been go ahead she has no money the only thing they will get is more legal bills there is no money.

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 05:02:31 AM »

If only receiving SSD have you applied for SSI?   Some people are elegible for the addtional assistance, not all.  Same as some on Medicare may also be elegible for their State's Medicaiade, but not all.   Food stamps may be another resource, helpful if you can get them.

How well do you get along with your Landlord?  Are they understanding enough to work with you and let you out of your lease early?   Hope, Hope!
 If so that opens a whole new can of worms, moving.  Where to move, how much does the 'new' landlord want down?  It just seems to keep piling up higher and high.   Need a vehicle to move everything, it's broken.

It's what we call a "Flaming Death Spiral"    In case you don't know the term, it's like that old fighter airplane, gets shot up, bursts into flames and starts a slow spiraling turn towards the ground.  Gaining speed as it falls and the turns start getting tighter and faster.  Faster and faster spinning until it crashes into the ground exploding on impact.   BOOM!    Crash and Burn.

kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 06:03:45 AM »

I'm sorry, Fabkiwi, that you find yourself in this hole.  I know that is scrary.  I'm not very good at "worikng the system" so I don't have any bureaucratic solutions to offer.  Just the suggestion to see whatever additional services you might be eligible for.  Or a part time job you can do from home.  Not easy, I know.  Sometimes, there's a way to "borrow" against an impending inheritance.  Worth checking with the lawyer. Good luck to you.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:51:16 PM »

I wouldn't worry about breaking your lease if you have to. I'm sure a letter from your doctor or documentation about your kidney disease will suffice as proof of loss of income. A letter of explanation would probably also satisfy a future landlord when it comes to considering your credit and rental history.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 06:10:07 PM »

I would suggest that breaking the lease is the least of your problems.  Despite landlord blustering to the contrary, it is for all practical purposes impossible for a landlord to collect for the unused portion of a residential lease if the tenant vacates (this varies a bit state).  The landlord's real worst nightmare is a tenant who says "I won't pay, I won't move, I have not place to go, I will ask the judge for a continuance".  In my state (MA) an involuntary eviction takes months, the landlord must pay to have the stuff moved and stored, and the landlord cannot even hold the contents of the stored items as security for the storage fee.

In practicality, many landlords would rather have an unscheduled vacancy that a judgement for payment against a tenant with no money to pay.  The only possible exception is a very big landlord that wants to maintain tenant discipline by setting examples - be ready to scream "harassing the disabled!!!" if it starts to go that way.

Above all, remember the landlord is not a source of authority for what you "have to do".

The real issue is the ability of the landlord to create a paperwork nightmare (collections, etc), however, I would guess that finding a place you can afford would be a bigger problem than finding a landlord to rent to you.    Is it practical for you to replace the departing roommate?  Also, do you have an alternative more affordable place to move?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:16:55 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 10:44:17 PM »

Moving is really not at the top of my list tbh. I'm in the Nashville area, but if I leave where I'm currently at it's gonna have to be because I'm moving back in with parents back up in Upper Michigan. This complicates EVERYTHING health wise since there is ONE hemodialysis clinic in my town and the nearest PD clinic is a good 4 hours away. And then, shuffling all the transplant stuff to another hospital (probably would be Mayo Clinic... 8 hours away)... Breaking a lease and going in to more debt would be a pain in the behind, but compared to the current medical and student loan debt.... small potatoes.

Also, in theory this is all temporary because there is a trust account that I'm supposed to get as of last January. I'll spare the details on why that's still not in my possession, but let's just say that JPMorgan/Chase Manhattan Bank is horrible and you should not do business with them if you can help it.

Basically, I'm more curious/concerned about if there is a way to adjust my disability amount because when I filled out all this paperwork to start with, I had no help and no idea what I was doing. Hospital case worker was not very helpful... couldn't even send me to the right Social Security office to do the paperwork. Current social worker is much better so I'll be meeting with her later this month to see what she can do with my current mess. I was getting SSI for a little while, and then it stopped... I'm gonna have to look in to why.

Flaming Death Spiral is exactly what I feel like is happening right now. It's also a fantastic name for a punk rock band. If I ever get any musical talent, I'll have to remember that...

myporkchop

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 03:36:55 AM »

Oh I'm really sorry to hear about this fabkiwi, this sucks!!
Is it not enough to deal with looking after your health, but to have this on your shoulders too is just not fair.
I really hope something sorts itself out for you. Can you put a notice up for another flat mate if you are unable to move out?

21st April 2016 - mum got told she had only a few months to live. Doctor's did not support dialysis treatment for her due to many other health complications. They didn't think she could cope and recommended conservative care. Our family was devastated. She is only 64 years old.

19th June 2016 - joined IHD. The support from all of you gave my mum the confidence to give dialysis a go.
26th September 2016 - started PD dialysis at home (CAPD). The first week has wrecked havoc with her blood sugar levels and diabetes, she has been in hospital twice within the week. Dialysis is going well though.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 09:15:15 AM »

A couple of things to remember.  This is just another one of life's 'tests'.  Some are a bit more difficult than others, it is NOT an 'open book' test as there is no book. You will be graded on a very broad curve, but you won't get a report card so don't worry about how well you pass, you will pass just fine no matter how it turns out.

And,  This too shall pass, eventually.

Keep your chin up, you will get through this.

Fabkiwi06

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »

Thanks guys. I'm trying to get all the backup plans in place that I can. One way or another, I know I'll figure this out.

This year has just been a giant crap sundae, with this last round being the cherry on top. If it's true that God never gives you more than you can handle, then He must have a VERY high opinion of me!

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »

If it's true that God never gives you more than you can handle, then He must have a VERY high opinion of me!
But, if it's not true, then it's just random badness with no greater plan.
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 05:46:47 PM »

If it's true that God never gives you more than you can handle, then He must have a VERY high opinion of me!
But, if it's not true, then it's just random badness with no greater plan.

If it's not true, then I just get to keep putting on my big girl pants and dealing with it. Either way, I gotta fix my own problems since nobody will do for me :)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »