I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:58:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  hello here is my story
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hello here is my story  (Read 2470 times)
Mindy

« on: August 31, 2016, 05:20:04 PM »

I was first diagnosed after my sister was with rare case of Alport. We both have hearing loss.. I was 11 she was 15 ish. She caught a cold and could not shake it. Went to to see a DR he took one look at her and told my mom get her to the hosp. It was a roller coaster ride from that time on. She did Hemo had 2 bovine stents put in > One stopped working after she hurt her self in construction class. (She was supposed to quit stubburn)  :Kit n Stik; My mom donated her kidney. It was a terrible experience. They dropped her from the operating table and the kidney flipped and tore. Took 24hrs before they figured it out. A nurse in training used a dirty needle on her. Nurse realized what she did and reported it as the previous person had hep c. She ended up catching it and that extended her stay longer. Took her 3 months before she came home. 4 months later she became sick mom took her to see the Neph. He told her she was an over reacting parent and to go home and wait it out she died 3 days later in her sleep. The only Neph for 150 miles at the time so I also had to see him. (not fun) I then grew up being told by my parents if I made it threw puberty I would be OK til Menopause then I needed to worry. So I got married at 20. Lived a normal life Started bruising a lot so went to get blood work done at the age of 25. Six months later I got a bill and being fictitious I called and said I wanted my results before I paid. Long story they lost them missed filed them. Took them 4 days to find. Got a call and was told to come in tomorrow. (I worked lost my job) New Years day I was told My kidneys are failing and I needed to think which Dialysis treatment I wanted. Never heard of CAPD before then but knew that is what I wanted to do. Hemo scares me. We were living with my mom in our trailer in her yard saving to buy a house. Well that went well NOT the day I found out I needed to have the surgery to have my catheter placed my mom kicked us off of her property. ( needed BF help pay bills and he did not want us there) Later found out what we already new she did not want us there.  We moved to a friends til things got out of hand with my family and my terrible DR so we moved to Longview. The DR there had no idea how CAPD worked nor did the center I ended up teaching them. At that time we carried the 6'hose and the 2000 ml bag with us 24/7. I was not told this until the first day of training. They drained the fluid in me then gave me a white square cloth with Velcro on 3 sides and an elastic band and said put it in there. I asked how to I disconnect the tube and bag and was told you do not see you tomorrow. I went numb drove home crawled into the bathroom and went in the fetal position and cried for hrs.  Husband came home and after a while I let him in and he picked me up and said it will be OK we will make it OK. I did not believe him thought for sure he would leave me. (I had no confidence or self worth at the time) While living in Longview I continued PD for 2+ yrs then got the call. I was back to being me The transplant was wonderful. We moved back to our home town were our friends and family were. Life was good for 21 yrs then here we are again. 15 months on NCPD. Oh and I found out that my disease is Branchio-oto-renal syndrome. I found this out on my own and my Dr said oh yeah that makes more sense.  :Kit n Stik; :sarcasm; :stressed;

sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:39:50 AM by cassandra » Logged

Mindy
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 03:52:16 AM »

Hi Mindy,

I'm so glad you joined us.  Sounds like you have been through it!  Glad you had such a good transplant.  I'm sorry you are back on dialysis, but it may be the bridge to another transplant for you.

I hope you like it here. 

Welcome - Rerun, Admin.      :welcomesign;

SooMK

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:07:15 AM »

Whoa Mindy! You are a survivor for sure. Welcome to IHD!

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
myporkchop

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 05:34:20 AM »

Gee wiz Mindy, so sorry to hear of all your troubles you have had to face. Keep fighting xx

21st April 2016 - mum got told she had only a few months to live. Doctor's did not support dialysis treatment for her due to many other health complications. They didn't think she could cope and recommended conservative care. Our family was devastated. She is only 64 years old.

19th June 2016 - joined IHD. The support from all of you gave my mum the confidence to give dialysis a go.
26th September 2016 - started PD dialysis at home (CAPD). The first week has wrecked havoc with her blood sugar levels and diabetes, she has been in hospital twice within the week. Dialysis is going well though.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 06:41:07 AM »

Welcome to the site Mindy

:welcomesign;

Take care, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Mindy

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »

:bandance; :flower; :cheer:Thank you everyone I am a looking forward to being apart of this community

Mindy
DayaraLee

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 02:09:23 PM »

You definitely have had your share of challenges, Mindy! So glad you found this community - it's wonderful as an information resource, and it's also a great place to connect with people who have similar experiences.   
:welcomesign;

Husband Dx - CKD Stage 3, Diabetes Type II, Hypertensive, Stubborn...

"What is love? Love is the absence of judgment."  ~Dalai Lama
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 04:03:04 PM »

I am glad you joined and I amazed at your survival story, sounds like you found a great partner for life.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »