I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:20:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Preemptive PD catheter
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preemptive PD catheter  (Read 2589 times)
gilders

« on: August 19, 2016, 05:50:10 AM »

I am hoping to have a transplant before I need dialysis, but my nephrologist doesn't believe my kidneys will last that long.
I understand that I can have a HD fistula for a very long time (a few years) without it being used. This would be useful as I'm wanting to put off dialysis as long as possible in the hope of getting transplant first, but having access in place is obviously a good idea in case I need dialysis before transplant.
BUT, if I have to have dialysis first I would prefer PD. Therefore my question is -

How early can you have a PD catheter before it needs to be used?
Or can it be occasionally flushed, to keep to ready for use?
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 06:30:20 AM »

How early can you have a PD catheter before it needs to be used?
Or can it be occasionally flushed, to keep to ready for use?

I had my PD catheter placed 6 months before I thought I'd need it.  They did a procedure called a buried or tunnel catheter where the catheter is tunneled under the skin and "revealed" with a small office procedure when needed.  Sounded like a good plan. Didn't turn out that way.  When I finally put it to use, it was so filled with fibrin that it didn't function and I needed to have a second operation to fix it. It took a long time to getting it working right and during that time I needed to be on hemo with a neck catheter. Maybe I'm not typical, but from my experience I wouldn't recommend it.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 04:48:41 PM »

I don't know about the preemptive aspect, but I do know it took about a month for my PD Cath to heal before they wanted me to use it. I think it probably depends on a lot of different factors - how fast your body can heal, how quick your function is declining, your body's fibrin production (the nurses said I had a remarkably low amount for a month's worth of not using. there was hardly any during the first flush). it would be worth looking in to, but I wouldn't do it too far in advance if I could help it.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »