I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:45:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Re-donating a kidney?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Re-donating a kidney?  (Read 5555 times)
jackiemich

« on: August 13, 2016, 11:27:31 AM »

Hello all,

Just a question about re-donating a kidney.  A little background is definitely needed.  LOL  I started dialysis in 2009 due to blood pressure and diabetes.  My mom started dialysis a few months later due to the same reasons.  In 2012 she received a transplant that really didn't work from the start due to having an obstruction that wasn't known to the transplant team.  I received my transplant in 2013.  To date, it is working beautifully.  Creatnine is always less than 1.1.  My mom's kidney is now not working at all.  She's 70 and her creatnine is 4.9 so she needs to start dialysis soon.  My worry is she will not handle going back on dialysis well because she had lots of issues before.  I had absolutely no issues at all except for coming in with too much fluid on.  But had no issues taking it off.  I was wondering if it would be possible if I could give her my working kidney and go back on dialysis myself.  Has anyone heard of this being done before?  I've just read where older people returning to dialysis don't do as well and has more issues and its really scaring me. 

Thanks for any information!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 01:11:06 PM »

I am certain that no transplant surgeon would do this.  Taking your working kidney and thus leaving you with no renal function would be unethical.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 02:39:56 PM »

I am 74 and just started dialysis (PD) in January.  I see no issues specifically due to my age.  All people are different, however.  As an older person, your mother is eligible for a kidney from an older donor.  They are more plentiful than younger ones, but there are fewer people competing for them.  They won't last forever, but, sadly neither will your mother or any of us.  So it might be worth looking there for help.  I believe it's call an extended (or expanded) criteria kidney.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 02:42:05 PM »

I hear what you are saying and the thought is quite commendable, however, I seriously doubt if any transplant center anywhere will give you any serious consideration.

I'm sorry but we really need to address Mom's problems.  What can be done to help Mom endure dialysis?    Did she have problems on it before?  How may we help her to overcome the fears she may have now?

Life can seem very unfair at times like this.  You get to keep off of Dialysis and Mom had to start again.   I am sure there are a number of people that would give up a kidney in a minute if they could keep a loved one from having to go through the stress of continuing dialysis, but unfortunately it just isn't always that easy.

You're a great kid but together we need to find another way to help Mom cope for now.
DialysisGoneFOREVER

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »

I am certain that no transplant surgeon would do this.  Taking your working kidney and thus leaving you with no renal function would be unethical.

EXACTLY! I'm shocked this is even being asked! The Tx team might even ask you to see a shrink! I only say that because I've dealt with Tx teams and I know how irrational they can be!

I can imagine if you asked the Tx team this they'd be like  :o  ::)  :Kit n Stik;
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:46:14 PM by DialysisGoneFOREVER » Logged
jackiemich

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »

Thank you all for the thoughts.  My mom didn't handle dialysis well at all.  She always either cramped, dropped her blood pressure, got physically sick, or passed out.  We had the same appointment time at the dialysis center and its really heartbreaking to hear them work on your Mom.  We were hooked up for four hours at a time.  I didn't have these issues at all.  Maybe dropped my blood pressure a couple of times, but never passed out or had bad cramping. Maybe just a little weak if I had to take off a lot of fluid but that went away within an hour.   I just didn't want to see her go thru that again and giving her my new kidney seemed like a workable alternative.  I'm 48 so I know I can handle it better and would get another kidney in a couple of years. 

Thanks again,
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 07:10:37 PM »

Did you both ELECT to have hemo?

Was PD an option, or is there a medical reason why PD may not be a viable treatment for Mother?

I am just a bit over three years on PD so far.  It is very easy on the body as compared to the shock of hemo taking off the fluid in such a short time.   If at all possible PD should be given serious consideration.

You need to talk to your Mother and she needs to talk with her Neph to ask these questions.

There are a number of people using the Nxstage doing hemo at home daily with much success.  Only taking of that day's fluids is nowhere near the intense shock to their system so they are having greater success than they had while 'in-clinic'.

Again, these things need discussion with her Neph.   Planning ahead can save her a lot of anxiety later.

Please continue to let us know how she is doing.

We care for everyone going through these times and having to make decisions without all the information.  It is NOT easy.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »

As an older person, your mother is eligible for a kidney from an older donor.  They are more plentiful than younger ones, but there are fewer people competing for them.
This is not as bad as it seems.   As an older person (53 or older; less with medical issues) one is eligible for any kidney that is not in the top 20%.

You do not get moved to increasingly bad kidneys as you age.    K&S is eligible for the same quality organ as a 53 year old.    It's just the choice meat that they skim off for the young patients.
DialysisGoneFOREVER

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »

Choice meat??  ???

Are we at the butcher shop?  :rofl;

For the record I'm 90% vegetarian & NEVER been to a butcher shop!  :2thumbsup;
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 09:29:41 PM »

Choice meat??  ???

You've never heard of the term "organ meat"?
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 07:17:58 AM »

Choice meat??  ???

Yeah, I'm not allowed any organ meat as they are all high in cholesterol.
DialysisGoneFOREVER

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 11:23:47 AM »

Choice meat??  ???

You mean like liverwurst? But I've not heard of it in the context of organ donation!

Let's open up a meat market of kidneys, livers, pancreases, lungs, hearts, & intestines for transplant patients!!  :rofl;
nursey66

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 12:08:11 PM »

I think the trauma of taking the same kidney out for a second time would render it useless , even if it's working great where it is now .
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 09:30:50 PM »

I think the trauma of taking the same kidney out for a second time would render it useless , even if it's working great where it is now .
Nope.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/04/25/first-ever-kidney-transplanted-twice-in-two-weeks.html
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 09:29:47 AM »

Nope.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/04/25/first-ever-kidney-transplanted-twice-in-two-weeks.html

This just may have laid the groundwork for future 'second transplants' for those organs that are immediately rejected uncontrollably.   I can see how a timely decision made a huge difference.  Waiting much longer could have damaged the organ too much rendering it less viable.
nursey66

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 06:02:56 PM »

Just amazing ! Thankyou  for the info !
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »