I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:07:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Fistula Failed
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula Failed  (Read 4765 times)
Vt Big Rig

« on: August 12, 2016, 06:40:15 PM »

Had angioplasty done on fistula on Wednesday. Pressures very high  yesterday and could not get started today. Very nervous!

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »

What's happening?

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 12:18:26 PM »

I don't know. Just can't get running. Arterial pressure skyrockets. I fear vessel has collapsed. Sounds good but will not run. Have tried several sticks.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 01:11:12 PM »

Have you rung the hosp already?

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 05:34:55 AM »

Nurse came to house yesterday. Still could not run. I should be thankful. 12 months ago surgeon told me it would fail. We had another put in opposite other arm then. So it lasted a year longer than I was told it would. We will go to clinic Monday to start on the new arm.  Just must be careful with fluid and potassium for a couple of days.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 06:36:57 AM »

Glad to hear you already have a 'spare' fistula. I'm scheduled to have a gazillionst plasti on my failing one, so the new fistula in other arm can be created (still no date) I'm now thinking to cancel that plasti next Wednesday.
Anyway, good luck Monday!

Lots of love and luck, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 03:00:36 PM »

When a fistula fails do you no longer feel/hear the bruit and thrill? Is there no longer a flash when you stick it? Does it mean there's no blood flowing thru it anymore or is it all clotted up? And lastly, what if anything, is done to a failed fistula? A lot of questions I know but thanks in advance to those who can answer.

My husband and I always have known the signs of when he needs another angioplasty. Seems he has needed one every few months. We don't get too upset anymore because we've realized it has been those balloon jobs that have kept his fistula alive. We've always put it to use right away after he's had one. Don't know if the center will do that for him. Pressures always seem high for awhile, even a couple of weeks. The improved flow seems to move the needle track inside his buttonhole so we had to learn where the new sweet spot is. A lot of alarms and "mute, stop and GO" action while I made adjustments. Then it got to the point where just because I could get the pressure down enough to stop alarms, I'd say, "Nah, hold on, I'll bring it down a little more". I admit, kind of felt cocky to be able to do that. The center deals with all that now but we still check his fistula every day.   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »

My old fistula still sounds and feels fine. We get a flash, it primes well, and seems fine when checking with syringe. But if we try to go over 200 speed I get an immediate 24. We ran at 200 for 29 minutes aND it alarmed.  If you press on my arm above the sticks, arterial goes down. Classic stenosis. We had angioplasty done Weds, barely got a run in Thursday and have been unable since. Even with nursing help.I don't understand how it can close so quickly, but there is very little I understand these  days.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 08:33:18 AM »

My failing one still feels fine, bruit, high venous pressures at the start, normal for mine with the collateral veins, but last plastis they couldn't get in at all to open up some stenosis. It's the flow in the fistula which has dropped from 1100 (after successful plasti) to 250. Clearance is pretty bad and I feel it. Could sleep all day and that's not 'normal' me.

Also the fistula is completely calcified. Apparently the calcification consists of a combination of calcium, phosphate and pth. If I get a sharp in to create a new buttonhole it's incredibly tough, sometimes a piece sticks to a needle and it's like plastic. Last plasti-try two people had to force the scalpel (sp?) in (ridiculous so I told them) I think it's a vicious circle, low flow and calcification cause more turbulence in the fistula which causes more calcification which causes lower flow etc.

Anyway the fistula has a severe narrowing near my heart (due to several catheters) from the start and has lasted twice as long as expected (18 years) Just a pitty that the new fistula has not been created yet.

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 09:11:42 AM »

I hope the new one works well. 

:pray;

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 02:31:55 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experiences Vt Big Rig and cassandra. We check my husband's fistula every day but now that he's going to the center I have to put my faith into them in knowing all the warning signs too. We both still have so much to learn, glad I can count on our friends here on the site! Big thanks!! Sure hope things go better for the both of you. Fistula's are your lifeline!

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 02:47:24 PM »

Just got home. The new one worked OK for a brand new vessel.  Now just need to build it up. Strange using other arm and now upper arm. Only did 3/4 of a run since the clinic closes but tomorrow morning tech will come to my house and my bride will do cannulation. This fistula is more prominent than the first.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 04:18:43 PM »

Sounds good! Good luck tomorrow to the both of you

:2thumbsup;

Love, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 05:16:31 PM »

This seems strange to say but I hope this fistula serves you well, it's funny how those strange bumps on our arms are both a blessing and a curse. Good luck . I just decided I don't like the word fistula from now on I am going to call mine Buford, after a Cival war general.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 05:46:49 PM »

I've never like the word "fistula" either. It's a very unpleasant word--totally aside from what it is.  It's a gooey, very visceral word. 

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »