I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:43:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  The Rio Olympics Thread
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Rio Olympics Thread  (Read 7205 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: August 07, 2016, 08:44:50 AM »

Are any of you watching the Olympics?  If so, which athletes or which events are you following most closely?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Hootie

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 12:28:14 PM »

swimming now and women's gymnastics later...two of my favorites...

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 12:36:59 PM »

... I no longer watch the alleged "DopeImpics"  ...   :embarassed:

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
lainiepop

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 11:25:13 PM »

Would like to watch some but we r on hol in ausyria and covetage pretty poor. I like the gymnastics as i always wanted to do that. Can't actuall tounch my toes though  :rofl;

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
SooMK

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 05:27:05 AM »

I'm not watching the Olympics this time around. I would watch them if my husband was interested but he has no interest either. I'm not looking for any more controversy these days and there was a lot of that before the Olympics even started. Seems like each Olympics' season I've had less interest than the time before and now I've hit bottom.

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 06:18:10 AM »

... When I was a teenager I happened to watch a documentary about former female Olympic-Champions from the USSR-years
and it shook -  as the English say -  "the daylights out of me" - because most of these former USSR-Olympic-Champions were in wheelchairs
and they were unable to walk or move because of all the drugs they were given and forced to take under Soviet rule ...
... and they all admitted that they very much regretted to have complied to taking these drugs, because in the process of complying they wrecked their body and their future.
... It was a terrible documentary to watch, because it also showed that these former USSR-Olympic Champions were given these drugs whilst they were very young
and whilst their body was still supposed to be in the process of growing ... This documentary also showed very clearly that these poor people were never given any chance...
...  As a result, I have never ever watched any "DopeImpics" from then on because state-cruelty to performing youngsters never seems to seize or get any better 
and adding to that, the "DopeImpics" have become - over the years - extremely political as well  ...
That's just my  :twocents;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 06:42:31 AM »

I also am not at all interested in watching this year.  Sports have become so blood thirsty and all about winning at any cost.  Sportsmanship is now a rare commodity.  This olympics is so fraught-- crime, zika, swimming in sewage, unhappy people in favelas.
Thanks but no thanks.  Besides, I never watch TV anymore.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 10:23:56 AM »

I like the Equestrian.  But I haven't seen any yet.  I'll have to get the schedule.

:flower; 

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 10:44:23 AM »

Gosh, I'm quite disappointed with the cynicism!  Sure, I do understand it, but ultimately it is about the athletes, and I'm not going to let Zika et al ruin the pleasure I get from watching these people try to achieve their dreams.

I happened to catch Ibithiaj Muhammed in her fencing round this morning.  She is the first athlete to compete in the Olympics while wearing a hijab, and she is representing the USA!  The US team voted on who should get the honor of carrying out the flag in the opening ceremony, and the only athlete to get more votes than her was Michael Phelps, the holder of the most medals in Olympic history.  And btw, she won!  But she still has many rounds left to win before getting a medal.

And who didn't shed a bit of a tear when the Olympic Refugee team, the first in history, marched proudly into the stadium?  Have you heard the story of the Syrian swimmer who saved her fellow refugees as their boat was capsizing?  She jumped into the sea, grabbed the boat and pulled it to safety.

I was watching the swimming last night and was interested to hear the boos from the crowd when the Russian athlete was introduced.

Women's Rugby Sevens is an Olympic event for the first time.  You go girls!!  Equal opportunity!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Hootie

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 01:09:29 PM »

I am with you Moose Mom. There are issues but these kids and adults work a lifetime  to become successful and their stories are remarkable.

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »

Gosh, I'm quite disappointed with the cynicism!  Sure, I do understand it, but ultimately it is about the athletes, and I'm not going to let Zika et al ruin the pleasure I get from watching these people try to achieve their dreams.

I happened to catch Ibithiaj Muhammed in her fencing round this morning.  She is the first athlete to compete in the Olympics while wearing a hijab, and she is representing the USA!  The US team voted on who should get the honor of carrying out the flag in the opening ceremony, and the only athlete to get more votes than her was Michael Phelps, the holder of the most medals in Olympic history.  And btw, she won!  But she still has many rounds left to win before getting a medal.

And who didn't shed a bit of a tear when the Olympic Refugee team, the first in history, marched proudly into the stadium?  Have you heard the story of the Syrian swimmer who saved her fellow refugees as their boat was capsizing?  She jumped into the sea, grabbed the boat and pulled it to safety.

I was watching the swimming last night and was interested to hear the boos from the crowd when the Russian athlete was introduced.

Women's Rugby Sevens is an Olympic event for the first time.  You go girls!!  Equal opportunity!

Sorry MooseMom I did not mean to dissapoint or upset you, but perhaps an explanation for my comments above could be that where I grew up,
everyone automatically watched with at least one eye, what "the Russians" were up to again and that included their shenanigans at the Olympics...
... And that close observation was certrainly not meant in a cynical way, I can assure you...  :secret;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 02:18:27 PM »

I also am not at all interested in watching this year.  Sports have become so blood thirsty and all about winning at any cost.  Sportsmanship is now a rare commodity.  This olympics is so fraught-- crime, zika, swimming in sewage, unhappy people in favelas.
Thanks but no thanks.  Besides, I never watch TV anymore.
Don't forget the Russian "medals over morals" scandal.

Years ago, a fencer jumped back as the Russian fender thrust - and the buzzer that goes off when the foil or epee makes contact with the opponent went off with the sword in thin air.  When the IOC sought to examine the Russian team's equipment, the reply was "sorry, someone broke into the Olympic compound and stole ever last sword we had."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 02:55:43 PM »

Oh, not to worry, Kristina!  I understand your perspective, and I don't blame you.  As we have seen just this year, there are still cheaters out there!  It's such a shame, isn't it.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 12:45:10 PM »

Even as a kid I never liked watching the Olympics, I find it boring. I am the type who has to be there or playing in the games to enjoy.. I just wish that NBC could just have it on one channel.

I find it funny what John Oliver had to say about the opening of the games, https://youtu.be/7-LPcVo7gC0

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 02:26:05 PM »

LOL, y'all are just one long wet weekend.

"Every party needs a pooper.
That's why we invited you.
Party pooper,
that's you!"

BOOOOO!   :rofl;

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 03:31:34 PM »

LOL, y'all are just one long wet weekend.

"Every party needs a pooper.
That's why we invited you.
Party pooper,
that's you!"

BOOOOO!   :rofl;

Don't worry, I am the same with other sports on TV.  ;D

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
lainiepop

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »

I think all the empty seats are a shame.

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 10:48:52 PM »

Something is up with 4 US swimmers.  They say they got robbed by gunpoint by some fake cops but their stories are not jiving.

One made it home.  Brazilian officials have detained 2 and one didn't show up at the airport.

So far I believe the boys.

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 09:25:32 AM »

Are the athletes getting more Naked, or am I getting older and more conservative.   :waiting;

How the hell do those Beach Volleyball players keep those suites (strings) on?  Press-n-Seal?

Now the Track athletes are practically Naked.  After a run over hurdles the cameramen have a great time getting butt shots.   :banghead;

I would be constantly pulling it out of my butt.  Run over one hurdle ... pull.... second hurdle...  pull  pull  pull  pull.  No medal.. 

I don't get it.  I would like to see someone from Iran.  I wonder what they wear?   ??? 

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 05:30:47 AM »

well, as you may know from another thread I am starting a new fistula.  So as cynical as I am about the Olympics and how professional it has become....... doing smaller needles means 5 1/2 hour runs. Thank heavens they are on TV during that time or I would really go crazy. :banghead;

I've seen some stuff I did not even know were in the Olympics.

sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:30:22 PM by cassandra » Logged

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
KatieV

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 01:58:57 PM »

Are the athletes getting more Naked, or am I getting older and more conservative.   :waiting;

How the hell do those Beach Volleyball players keep those suites (strings) on?  Press-n-Seal?

Now the Track athletes are practically Naked.  After a run over hurdles the cameramen have a great time getting butt shots.   :banghead;

I would be constantly pulling it out of my butt.  Run over one hurdle ... pull.... second hurdle...  pull  pull  pull  pull.  No medal.. 

I don't get it.  I would like to see someone from Iran.  I wonder what they wear?   ???

There was an interesting comparison photo I saw - a women's beach volleyball match between Egypt and Germany.  The Egyptian women had long leggings, long sleeve shirts, and were wearing hijabs.  The Germans were in very tiny bikinis!

My husband asked me, "if the women (of track & field) are showing their stomachs in order to run faster, why don't the men do that too?".  Of course it's the opposite with the divers - I wonder how many of the men have lost their *very tiny* speedos!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2007 - Brother diagnosed with ESRD, started dialysis 3 days later
April 2007 - Myself and sister also diagnosed with Senior-Loken Syndrome (Juvenile Nephronophthisis and Retintis Pigmentosa)

Since then, I've tried PD three times unsuccessfully, done In-Center hemo, NxStage short daily, Nocturnal NxStage, and had two transplants.  Currently doing NxStage short daily while waiting for a third transplant.

Married Sept. 2011 to my wonderful husband, James, who jumped into NxStage training only 51 days after our wedding!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 02:25:24 PM »

Something is up with 4 US swimmers.  They say they got robbed by gunpoint by some fake cops but their stories are not jiving.

One made it home.  Brazilian officials have detained 2 and one didn't show up at the airport.

So far I believe the boys.

This was a rather shameful episode and doesn't reflect well on our nation.  At least Ryan Lochte apologized and the Rio Olympic Committee has accepted his apology.  Lochte is 30 years old, old enough to know better. 

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 02:28:47 PM »

Good question.  I found these photos.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2183262/Olympics-2012-The-Muslim-women-overcame-odds-make-London.html

And this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/rio-2016-kimia-alizadeh-zenoorin-becomes-first-iranian-woman-win-olympic-medal-bronze-taekwondo-a7201246.html
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:41:34 AM by MooseMom » Logged

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 10:51:36 PM »

Dang ~ there needs to be a happy medium.   :cheer:

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »