I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Belly button
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Belly button  (Read 4892 times)
Fabkiwi06

« on: August 02, 2016, 07:23:13 PM »

I'm on PD. I have a small frame, so they only fill me up to 1500mL.

Tonight I noticed, for lack of a better explanation, my belly button seems to be changing from an innie to an outie.

I'll be calling the clinic tomorrow anyway, so I'll ask them too... But anyone? :waiting;

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 09:31:02 PM »

Hmmmmmmmm!   I got one.  But it's a bit tighter since the Dr put a camera in through there.  Must have put in an extra stitch, maybe.

Don't care, nobody will ever see it.   I recently saw a youtube video that spelled it out perfectly.

I don't look so good nakkid any more.    LOL

Three years and almost two months on PD, may have added an inch to my belly.  I don't think I can blame much of it on PD.

Sometimes I have to wonder if I should play Deep Purple - Lazy.   Loud, repeatedly.  Who knows, it might help, maybe?
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 11:29:12 PM »

My initial concern is that somehow fluid is leaking. But, I don't seem to have any other symptoms of that happening.

It's odd, though

kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 12:55:39 AM »

I've recently noticed that I don't hardly have a belly button anymore.  I definitely used to be innie and now I'm a nothing.  It's just the tiniest opening.  I'm filled with 1800 and then it fills up beyond that with UF until I can barely breathe at night. I'm 5'4".

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
stayingalive

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 04:34:18 AM »

My Surgeon and Neph told me this is common among PD crowd.  Some the belly button just starts to protrude because of the extra fluid that's added/extracted.  Stretches out the stomach muscles.  My Surgeon actually believes mine is a very small hernia but it doesn't hurt.  He is not worried because of that and he also stated that when they try to repair the small hernias it may throw off placement of catheter for PD.  So, for now, we are going to let it be.  Do inquire wuth your Dr. to be sure for yourself though.

SMILE!!  CAPD since June 2014
Polysystic kidney disease
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 10:02:04 PM »

I asked the nurse, and that's basically what she said. My neph is on vacation until next week, and since I'm not in any pain we're gonna just wait until she gets back to have her look.

Fabkiwi06

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 01:41:08 PM »

Made appointment with my PD Cath surgeon to check it out. Everything looks ok - we're gonna leave it for now and keep an eye on it. Not a problem after all.

However, while at that appointment I did manage to smack my foot so hard I broke a toe. Doh! At least I was already at the doctor!

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 07:25:11 PM »

Some days if it wasn't for bad luck you would have no luck at all.  Hope the toe gets better.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 05:00:56 AM »

Oh OWWWWW!!!!

I broke my little toe once, that HURT!  Every step for a long time.   Dr merely taped it to the next one.  Told me that's all they usually do for fingers and toes.

After the swelling went down it looked terrible, and pointed off just WRONG.  I couldn't have that.  Back then I had a walk-in closet with NO clothes in it.  I mirrored the walls, had a LOT of grow lights all across the ceiling and eight five gallon buckets of very well formulated soil.  My 'Babies' grew so well that once a week I harvested about a foot of very good growth of the tops.

Lets say I stayed pretty much 'Comfortably Numb' most of the time.  I quit all that in '81.  Feds were getting just too close.

Anyway, my toe was all wrong, so I got even more 'Comfortably Numb' eat a Popsicle, washed the stick, cut two pieces to the length of that little toe, took a deep breath and PULLED it straight.  It make a 'Snap' and I FELT that!!!!   Used those sticks and tape to splint it.  Today you cannot tell which little toe it was.

I had an Uncle, May he Rest in Peace, that broke his toe THREE times, on the same leg of their bed, the same toe each time.   I would have thought he would have learned after the first, or at least the Second time.  But NO, he did it a THIRD time.   I have no doubt that if he would have lived long enough he would have done it again.   Will miss you always Uncle Bill.
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 04:49:44 PM »

Thankfully, my toe isn't quite that bad. It is a lovely shade of purple though. Walking is an absolute pain, so I've been laying on the couch watching Star Trek instead. The cat has been helping by trying to lay on my foot.

Setting up the cycler was a bit of an ordeal last night though. Moving is tricky, and having to lift those bags of solution around is not easy when your foot is only half working.

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 01:05:50 AM »

Did they give you a plastic boot.  My wife broke a toe and was given a small plastic boot.  The boot stopped her from bending the foot at the toes and reduced the pain.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 03:36:43 AM »

Thankfully, my toe isn't quite that bad. It is a lovely shade of purple though. Walking is an absolute pain, so I've been laying on the couch watching Star Trek instead. The cat has been helping by trying to lay on my foot.

Setting up the cycler was a bit of an ordeal last night though. Moving is tricky, and having to lift those bags of solution around is not easy when your foot is only half working.

Aw it sounds so painful, how long does it take to heal?

Love and strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 06:34:53 AM »

Ouch!  It's really important to immobilize it-- both for pain and healing.  Some injuries seem so small but can be majorly annoying.  Hope it's  only a short annoyance.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 08:22:27 AM »

Depending on which toe, and exactly where the break is, taping the toe to the neighbor toe, Notice I had to specify the neighbor Toe as taping it to your Neighbor just will NOT work.  Taping may provide enough support to minimixe the broken ends which will reduce the pain when trying to walk.

Maybe cutting a hole in a pair of the cheap dollar thongs so that toe is left free, not touching the sole?

I remember it was a serious painful time when I broken mine.  I was an Office Supervisor and constantly on my feet moving about the building.

Ice will become your friend.  It seems like magic, helps reduce the swelling and also greatly helps reduce the pain.   The biggest problem with ice is it melts way too soon.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »

Seriously for a broken toe any thing that stops the toes flexing helps reduce the pain. In New Jersey they give you a solid plastic shoe that keeps the foot from flexing and gives it a chance to heal. It also helps reduce pain.
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 12:06:31 AM »

I have a boot and I have it taped. It's already feeling a bit better - provided I don't put all my weight on that foot. The brusing and swelling is already going down, so I think by Monday I'll be able to just be taped in a normal shoe. Totally manageable - just irritating.

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 02:44:18 PM »

This too shall pass.

Times like this don't we wish the clock would tick just a wee bit quicker so we could be done and over it?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »