I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:32:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Frequency of antibody testing
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Frequency of antibody testing  (Read 2564 times)
OneForTheBirds

« on: July 29, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »

I've been told I need to have blood tests every two months for antibody detection.  ????? That was news to me.  Does everyone pre-transplant do this?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »

Yes.

For me, though, it was every month.  I WISH it has only been every other month.  You're lucky!  Do you have to go to a clinic to have your blood drawn, or can you do it via mail?  The "Gift of Hope", which is the organ procurement program in the region where I live, sent me a packet every month containing a special vial.  I'd use the vial to get my blood drawn and then would package it all back up and mail it back.

Antibodies can change depending upon infections you may have had or may have been exposed to.  They need to have the most up to date information so that when a kidney is available, they can more accurately determine if you would be a good recipient for that particular organ.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:30:29 PM »

Initially it was once per month, and that was a pain pre dialysis because there are no orders for that stick. For a while my nephrologist's greeter could do it, but then she went back to school and I was always trying to figure out where I could get it done. There was a hospital lab a ways away that would do it but they billed insurance about $80 and I hate being ripped off even when I'm not paying. Since starting dialysis it moved to every three months and it's much easier because I can bring the box in and the fill the vial when they hook me up.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
OneForTheBirds

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 04:47:27 PM »

No such convenience for me, but I am a 5 minute drive to the hospital.

I attended a whole information session about transplantation before being listed, I was incredulous because it was the first time I heard of this!

I have programmed reminders on my electronic calendar.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 07:38:42 PM »

I am required to send two red top vials into the tissue typing lab at one of the Boston hospitals (not the one where I am listed for a transplant) once a month.   I am not sure what tests they run on these, but I assume it included antibody testing.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »