I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:48:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Introduction
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2812 times)
MR_RESPIRATORY

« on: July 10, 2016, 07:41:56 AM »

Good Morning! I was coasting along when I was told by my Primary Doc. that I should see ASAP a nephrologist. I was shocked by the information I was given. I was told that soon (when is soon?) I was heading towards Dialysis. I was  shocked to say the least. That was about 1 year ago. In this period of time I am now suffering with lower leg swelling, vomiting, lack of appetite , nausea which is all the time. Unable to think clearly and I cannot sleep.
I had retired about 3 years ago having worked for about 40 years as a Registered Respiratory Therapist. Now, my wife is also retired as well and until I became sick, we did a fair amount of traveling but now, most days are spent watching T.V.
In another post, I will provide my current lab values so that my Introduction might be complete.
I have been reading many of the posts and I want to thank everyone for the large amount of information I have received. I noticed how warm and giving everyone is and I thank you for that!
Oh, I forgot to add, I am in stage 3/4.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 07:54:27 AM »

Welcome to our community!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
DayaraLee

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:20:29 AM »

Welcome, Mr. R! I spend most of my time on here reading posts and learning from other members. This is a fantastic group of people, and I'm grateful for their knowledge and support. You've found a great community!   :waving;

Husband Dx - CKD Stage 3, Diabetes Type II, Hypertensive, Stubborn...

"What is love? Love is the absence of judgment."  ~Dalai Lama
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »

Welcome. Sorry for your shock.  It is always a shock when it happens as this is a silent disease. And I hate to think how many others are out there, minding their own business, while their kidneys are slowly (or quickly) deteriorating and they have NO idea. 

I'm a bit surprised to hear that you are only considered to be in stage 3/4 when you are already so symptomatic.  Everyone is different, but usually dialysis begins when you start having the very symptoms you are describing.  Some people get there at 20% kidney function and others (like me) get to 6% before without ever experiencing the symptoms you describe.  I hope you have a good nephrologist who can give you good guidance.  Although I am not a fan of dialysis (I do PD), it can help you feel much better, especially when you have clear symptoms.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »

In this period of time I am now suffering with lower leg swelling, vomiting, lack of appetite , nausea which is all the time. Unable to think clearly and I cannot sleep.

... Now, my wife is also retired as well and until I became sick, we did a fair amount of traveling but now, most days are spent watching T.V.

Welcome, those symptoms are part of the reason why for some its an improvement to start dialysis and clear up the symptoms.

If you can keep your health up then traveling is still an option.  It takes some planning but is completely manageable.  As you can see from my signature its possible to travel the globe and receive similar treatments, usually in the range of $250-$300 per treatment.  I usually travel for a week at a time so I don't worry about the IV medicine I'm missing well traveling because I get what I need on the other weeks at my center so that keeps the cost down.  Insurance so far has been fairly good about repaying me for what I pay on dialysis.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »

Welcome to the site Mr. Respiratory

:welcomesign;

Take care, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 07:01:13 PM »

Welcome to IHD.  You are among friends.   Actually, ,more likle an extended Family.

I started PD while I was at 30% function.  I was so tired of my legs swelling up like balloons, leaking that clear fluid, running down and soaking my socks and shoes.  A couple of times they got infected, my whole right leg reddened like an apple.   12 days in the hospital that time.  And that wasn't the only time.  I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.  So I asked my Neph when could I start.  I didn't want to wait any longer.  I had my Cath plced the next week.  Had to wait a whole month before they would let me start training.

Three years ago.  No infections since, or yet, or however you want to look at it.

I am soo much better now than I have been in many years.

Talk to your Neph.  Talk to your Wife.

Have you checked out the 'Kidiney College' onn-line.  Self paced course to educate you about kidneys, dialysis, the types of dialysis, a whole lot on good information you need to know to make a better informed decision about which type of dialysis you and your Wife may want as this IS going to become a new lifetime regiment.

Nightly PD using my Cycler isn't a problem for me.  It cuts my evenings pretty short.  But I have enough hose I can move about almost half of our home.  But the rest of the night I sleep like many people do.  In my bed.   With my Dog, and Cat.   Wife never like my snoring so she has her own room.   Leaves more bed to roll over in.

Again, welcome to the Family!

Take Care,

Charlie B53
Yea, I know, I can't shut up.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »