I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:33:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hi!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 2643 times)
Kas

Hi!
« on: August 19, 2016, 01:46:46 AM »

Hi everyone my partner started pd in February this year but is finding it isn't working....thought I would join this site as we are new to dialysis and are looking for information on their peoples experience!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 02:13:52 AM »

Welcome to the site Kas

:welcomesign;

Take care, Cas

sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:46:25 AM by cassandra » Logged

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 04:52:51 AM »

Hi Kas!

Welcome to IHD.  You will find we are a lot like a very large extended Family, all kidney related.   Sometimes when not in a better mood you can let it all out, rant and rave and really clear you mind.  It can really help to vent.   And reading those rants can be helpful to show you that spit happens to us ALL.  This is a terrible desease that no one should have to suffer.  But unfortunately we are Human, and far to suseptable to failure of our parts for so many different reasons, most cannot be predicted or prevented.

If you have Faith, whatever type, this experience can be a real test.

NEVER give up.  The Human mind is very strong and it has been proven so many times already that the power of the Mind CAN cause change to occur.  It takes serious effort and determination.  And a lot of attention to details in your care, diet, and exercise.  Oh how I hate the word 'exercise'.  It carries all the wrong concepts of hopping around sweating, etc.  NOT!  Physical activity can be as simple as taking a walk in the Park!

Post often, read more, let us know how his treatment is going, how you are dealing with it.  We are concerned for BOTH of you.

Take Care,

Charlie B53
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 05:42:57 AM »

Welcome to the site........ I hope you find the method that works for you. There is lots of folks here wiliing to share or offer opinions but I think you need to be a little more specific in your question.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
DayaraLee

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 07:11:49 AM »

Hi, Kas. I'm a caregiver, too, and I find that reading the threads on IHD offer me not just knowledge, but a sense of control over what's happening in my life and to my partner. This is a wonderful community, with individuals giving freely of their knowledge and experience. Like Charlie B said, it's a great place to rant and vent your frustration to people who have or are traveling a similar road.
 :welcomesign;

Husband Dx - CKD Stage 3, Diabetes Type II, Hypertensive, Stubborn...

"What is love? Love is the absence of judgment."  ~Dalai Lama
Kas

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 03:43:15 AM »

Nice to meet you all...
Kas

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 03:49:10 AM »

A bit more of our story is my partners kidneys began to shut down after a bad dose of food poisoning and as he has type 2 diabetes they continued to deteriorate was diognosed with 15% function in 2012 started dialysis in February this year when his creatinine was at 1000 have tried many different programs with a variety of prescriptions and his last test results showed the pd isn't working as his creatinine is now well over 1000 we would love any advice on ways to make pd work better as our next option is hemo which we are unsure about 😁
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 10:35:41 AM »

I think Charlie will chime in here..    He does PD and is very knowledgeable in that treatment. I do home hemo so I am afraid I cannot help you much.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »

I think I spelled it out in your other thread.  Suggestions what to ask his PD Nurse and Neph to increase Cycler time, number of exchanges, volume of the bags used.  The combination should keep each dwell time about an hour but get more exchanges done throughout the night, pulling off more toxins and water just staying with the greens and yellows.

He should not be needing to use reds, the higher sugar content in the reds can have an negative effect on the membrane.   The Ico for an all day dwell is fine, this is what my Neph has me on.  So far so good.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »