I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Traveling from India to USA on PD. tips/advice needed!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Traveling from India to USA on PD. tips/advice needed!  (Read 3416 times)
raindew12

« on: June 18, 2016, 12:28:57 PM »

Hi All -

Greetings! I'm planning to invite my dad who is currently in India to visit me in USA this summer for 2 months. He is on CAPD (using baxter products -twice a day). We have contacted Baxter and they can deliver the products in USA. I needed suggestion on the traveler  insurance plan that I should take for him that would cover any emergency situations here in US.

Also, as per his nephrologist, he is fit to travel, but wanted to know if he would be ok in long distance flight ( almost 18 hrs). Also, will he be able to carry some dialysate on flight as well? Any airline regulations around it?

Any inputs/tips are appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:35:25 PM by raindew12 » Logged
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 06:55:49 AM »

My only suggestion for travel insurance might be to contact other people for India or travel agents from India.  It has to be a fairly common need since US residents want to bring in their elderly parents and can not take the risk of bankrupting themselves should the parents become sick...  Sorry I can not be of more help.

I believe that US rules would allow him to carry medically required supplies on the flight.  I don't know if the outbound Indian airport would feel the same.  I think you need to coordinate that very carefully.

Another suggestion would be to fly a mid eastern carrier and plan a stop over in Dubai or Qatar and schedule the delivery of supplies there.  That way you have two long flights in the 8-12 hour range with a layover in the middle rather than the long 18 hour flight that would be hard on the body.  On some non discounted tickets the airlines (Qatar and likely others) will offer either free or paid transit hotels, which include bus transit to the hotel, but they may not tell you the hotel in advance so that may or may not work with delivery of supplies.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
raindew12

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 06:10:18 PM »

Thank you for your inputs!
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 05:36:05 AM »

I believe that US rules would allow him to carry medically required supplies on the flight.  I don't know if the outbound Indian airport would feel the same.  I think you need to coordinate that very carefully.
When I was on PD, I would have my bags shipped ahead, but I would also put a few in carry-on to buy me some time if the shipment were delayed in getting to my hotel.   I always had a MDs letter stating they were medically necessary and never had a trouble taking them on board US originating flights despite the fluid ban.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »