I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:46:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Rinseback Setting
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rinseback Setting  (Read 4242 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: June 16, 2016, 06:38:01 PM »

I may be asking 2 questions here that actually concern 2 different topics but here goes...

Can anyone explain in laymen terms the impact of increasing/decreasing the Rinseback Factor setting on the cycler? My husband uses the NxStage System "S" cycler and for that cycler, the Rinseback Factor is Parameter/System Setting #13. According to the manual, the default volume setting is 1.45 multiplier. His neph has him use 1.48, which means when we do rinseback we see "283" on the top screen of the cycler. He has used 283 ever since he's been doing home-hemo (over 2.50 years). Am wondering if the Rinseback Factor plays any role in why his BP suddenly increases when we take his "standing pressure" after treatment. This doesn't always happen but he does go through periods of it. His BP always goes back to normal a short while later but like I said, sometimes it shoots up right after treatment. Thought I've read about this before here on the site but can't find it now (old thread?).

I want him to bring this up with his neph but in the meantime, was curious if others experience this BP increase upon standing after treatment and what, if any, System Setting 13 has to do with it.

As an fyi, here's what the manual says: 

Parameter #13 Rinseback Factor

Rinseback Volume= (blood side Dialyzer volume + blood cartridge volume) times rinseback factor

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Xplantdad

Health is not valued till sickness comes. T.Fuller

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 07:23:05 PM »

My daughter does as well. From what I have found out it's called Intradialytic Hypertension See here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2830363/

Potential Pathophysiologic Mechanisms of Intradialytic Hypertension

Volume overload
    Sympathetic over-activity
    Activation of the renin-angiotensin aldosterone system
    Endothelial cell dysfunction
    Dialysis-specific factors

• net sodium gain

• high ionized calcium

• hypokalemia
    Medications

• Erythropoietin stimulating agents

• Removal of antihypertensive medications
    Vascular stiffness

Holly's rinseback is set at 288 ...which is supposed to be the "volume" of fluid in the cycler and the liines to rinse back all of the blood back into the body safely. I always add an extra .3 to what we need to take off to get close to her dry weight

I am interested to hear what other people have to say and have experienced...as well!  :thumbup;
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:45:11 PM by Xplantdad » Logged

My name is Bruce and I am the caregiver for my daughter Holly who is 31 years old and received her kidney transplant on December 22, 2016 :)
Holly's Facebook Kidney  page: https://www.facebook.com/Hollys.transplantpage/

Holly had a heart transplant at the age of 5 1/2 months in 1990. Heart is still doing GREAT!  :thumbup;
Holly was on hemodialysis for 2.5 years-We did NXStage home hemo from January 2016 to December 22, 2016
Holly's best Christmas ever occurred on December 22, 2016 when a compassionate family in their time of grief gave Holly the ultimate gift...a kidney!
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 07:52:19 PM »

Thank you, Bruce! I think I am also going to start a separate thread under General Discussion concerning BP rising after treatment. I will try to include the link you shared. When we do rinseback I want to make sure we are rinsing back all the blood we possibly can but wonder if we are perhaps rinsing back too much fluid with it. Makes me think I am just giving him one big saline bolus.   

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:11:11 AM »

When I was in Indiana rinse back was 288. Now in VT they have it set at 258. I have noticed any difference.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 01:38:25 PM »

You can change the rinseback in the NxStage setup parameters.  It's indirect, since you set a multiplier applied to the filter+tubing charging volume.  I believe the standard filter/tubing set is 190ml, and the default multiplier is 1.45, leading to 275.5 (not sure why it comes out 277)

There are other interesting settings worth a look.

- Turn off Warning #5 when UF complete
- Dim display light after a period of no alarms (they brighten when there is an alarm)
- Default UF rate and amount.  Since I was told never to run UF < 0.3, I set that as my default so I don't start from zero.  Similarly, I have the UF amount defaulting to 1.00 for a shorter adjustment to the actuual
- Mas # of times you are allowed to rinseback->disconnect->reconnect.   
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 02:15:16 PM »

You can change the rinseback in the NxStage setup parameters.  It's indirect, since you set a multiplier applied to the filter+tubing charging volume.  I believe the standard filter/tubing set is 190ml, and the default multiplier is 1.45, leading to 275.5 (not sure why it comes out 277)

There are other interesting settings worth a look.

- Turn off Warning #5 when UF complete
- Dim display light after a period of no alarms (they brighten when there is an alarm)
- Default UF rate and amount.  Since I was told never to run UF < 0.3, I set that as my default so I don't start from zero.  Similarly, I have the UF amount defaulting to 1.00 for a shorter adjustment to the actuual
- Mas # of times you are allowed to rinseback->disconnect->reconnect.

Thanks, Simon Dog. I am going to change the setting and give that a try or stop rinseback early and see what happens over the course of a few days. FYI: Even if I stop rinseback early I can still get his final numbers from the cycler (done it before when I saw clotting at top of dialyzer). I also think we need to challenge his dry weight again. I want him to bring all this up with the neph but we shall see. Thanks for providing the info on other settings. That #5 gets on my nerves but also serves as an alert that we are getting near the end of treatment so had better wash up and put my mask and gloves on and tell hubby to turn down the TV so I can hear myself think. Especially on nites when he's watching cage fighting. Things get loud around here whenever he watches politics or cage fighting. The TV gets louder and so does he. Hmm...might be why his BP goes up.     

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »