I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:22:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Fresh Green Beans
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fresh Green Beans  (Read 4363 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« on: June 15, 2016, 07:03:28 PM »

I like green beans.  I think they are one of the better vegetables for me.   The other day in the produce section I spied a huge zip lock bag of fresh green beans.   Don't ever let me into the grocery, especially if I am hungry.    I bought them.

Wife asked what are you gonna do with those?   As if what?  I'm going to glue them to the wall for an art project?

They have sat in the refrigerator for days.  Evidently she hasn't gotten the hint.   So tonight I got out a BIG glass bowl.  The medium wasn't near big enough.   Cut up a half pound of bacon.  Hope she wasn't planning on BLT's!    One large onion.   A big dash of lemon pepper.  And got busy popping the ends off.   45 minutes later I finally finshed.  Covered with plastic wrap and stuck it in the microwave on Low for 35 minutes.    I won't use High on our machine, it is too hot.  It will explode tp water in a pyrex measuring cup.  Burn black holes through anything.   Only time I use High is one minute to reheat a large cup of coffee.  And it is very steamy hot at that.

I stuck on my Cycler for a while again.  Next Dwell I will check, they should be done.

2 - 3 pounds Fresh Green Beans, pop the ends off
1/2 pound Bacon, your choice of cure.   Ham bits or anything can add flavor of choice.
One large white onion, cleaned and cut into smaller bite-size pieces.
Lemon pepper to taste.

This can simmer on a stove top until very tender.
Or
Microwave on less than High.  You wouldn't want to burn the bacon or whatever meat you use.
Depending on the quantity the time can be a lot shorter than my 30 minutes.

Next Dwell I got to check both refrigerators to see if we have any of the pre-made heat and serve mashed potatoes.    Green beans and mashed potatoes, go together like peas and carrots.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 01:24:29 AM »

Next time try roasting them. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roasted-green-beans-with-fresh-garlic-233938

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 06:24:06 AM »

Interesting, I will have to try it.  We have another couple of pounds in the refrigerator.  She doesn't like me fixing the same thing very so after having it so this can be a great option.

I've been picking the zuchini already.  Both black and the yellow plus another type of yellow that has 'bumps' all over it.  They are all pretty much the same inside.   I try to pick a few very early so they are only the size of a large pickle.  We like them cut into salad.  The more normal size we cut up and steam or microwave til tender.   A little butter or bacon fat, lemon pepper, I can just about make a meal of it.

When I bought my starts I picked only those that had two stems/plants, as I only wanted the one plant.   Even that is far more than we can use so I end up taking a bunch around to all the neighbors so it won't go to waste.
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 12:25:27 PM »

LOVE roasting green beans. I don't think I've ever met a veggie I didn't like roasted.

Also, giving them a quick stirfry with some sesame oil, garlic, and ginger and whatever you happen to have in your fridge is quite tasty too. Throw some low sodium soy sauce if you can spare the sodium for the day. Mmmmm...

Mom grows them in the garden and they tend to take over. They're really the best right off the plant, rinsed in the hose, and nommed down.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 05:47:52 PM »

Mom grows them in the garden and they tend to take over. They're really the best right off the plant, rinsed in the hose, and nommed down.

This is how baby pea pods are the best!

Sometimes a few itty bitty new ears of corn, right off the stalk.

I didn't plant either of them this year.  Maybe next year, I have lots of unused space just wasted and bare.  Not even weeds, I stay after them.  Slightest bit of green that I didn't plant and I'm after it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »