I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:05:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  To salt or not too salt(y)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: To salt or not too salt(y)  (Read 2505 times)
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« on: June 07, 2016, 04:07:30 AM »

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-67361630467-6/abstract

Several studies reported a U-shaped association between urinary sodium excretion and cardiovascular disease events and mortality. Whether these associations vary between those individuals with and without hypertension is uncertain. We aimed to explore whether the association between sodium intake and cardiovascular disease events and all-cause mortality is modified by hypertension status.

Methods
In this pooled analysis, we studied 133 118 individuals (63 559 with hypertension and 69 559 without hypertension), median age of 55 years (IQR 45–63), from 49 countries in four large prospective studies and estimated 24-h urinary sodium excretion (as group-level measure of intake). We related this to the composite outcome of death and major cardiovascular disease events over a median of 4·2 years (IQR 3·0–5·0) and blood pressure.

Findings
Increased sodium intake was associated with greater increases in systolic blood pressure in individuals with hypertension (2·08 mm Hg change per g sodium increase) compared with individuals without hypertension (1·22 mm Hg change per g; pinteraction<0·0001). In those individuals with hypertension (6835 events), sodium excretion of 7 g/day or more (7060 [11%] of population with hypertension: hazard ratio
1·23 [95% CI 1·11–1·37]; p<0·0001) and less than 3 g/day (7006 [11%] of population with hypertension: 1·34 [1·23–1·47]; p<0·0001) were both associated with increased risk compared with sodium excretion of 4–5 g/day (reference 25% of the population with hypertension). In those individuals without hypertension (3021 events), compared with 4–5 g/day (18 508 [27%] of the population without hypertension), higher sodium excretion was not associated with risk of the primary composite outcome (≥7 g/day in 6271 [9%] of the population without hypertension; HR 0·90 [95% CI 0·76–1·08]; p=0·2547), whereas an excretion of less than 3 g/day was associated with a significantly increased risk (7547 [11%] of the population without hypertension; HR 1·26 [95% CI 1·10–1·45]; p=0·0009).

Interpretation
Compared with moderate sodium intake, high sodium intake is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular events and death in hypertensive populations (no association in normotensive population), while the association of low sodium intake with increased risk of cardiovascular events and death is observed in those with or without hypertension. These data suggest that lowering sodium intake is best targeted at populations with hypertension who consume high sodium?

I understand from this article That consuming an awful lot of salt is probably not a very good idea when you have hypertension already.
                                                        That consuming a tiny amount of salt is probably not a good idea for people without hypertension
                                                       That excreting less than 3 grams a day is definitely nt a good idea when you have normotension (I like learning new words)
                                                       That I must be sweating out a lot of salt

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 04:57:41 AM »

Many thanks Cassandra for this article and your clever thoughts about it...
... Because of my hypertension & very fragile kidney-function since 1971 I have not touched any salt ever since...
... and I was told by this medical Professor after my kidneys first failed in 1971 that I should never touch any salt
and he explained, that all vegetables already have enough natural salt "in them" anyway and this is enough to cover the needs of our body ...
... Since I have never touched any ready-made-food and have never bought any salt for decades,
my body has not gone short of anything in this direction either (which regularly shows in my blood tests)
and this seems to prove the point mentioned in the article above...
... This "regime" helps me quite a lot, especially since starting my dialysis-treatment ~17 months ago with the "included" liquid-restrictions...
Best wishes and many thanks again for this re-assuring and interesting article from Kristina.:grouphug;
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:49:46 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »