I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:47:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  IV/Needle Sticks In Fistula?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IV/Needle Sticks In Fistula?  (Read 3896 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: May 04, 2016, 08:01:53 PM »

I know some get Iron added during dialysis while others are given Iron at their monthly clinic. Do any of you get Iron thru an IV in your fistula? My husband does but I thought there were to be no needle sticks in a fistula except for the needles used for dialysis.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:08:15 PM »

I know some get Iron added during dialysis while others are given Iron at their monthly clinic. Do any of you get Iron thru an IV in your fistula? My husband does but I thought there were to be no needle sticks in a fistula except for the needles used for dialysis.

You are absolutely correct, PrimeTimer.
No I.V.s should be inserted in the arm with the fistula.
Unless it's a grave emergency.
 :waving;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 08:26:20 PM »

Thanks, Zach. Oh boy. My husband says his nurse uses a very small needle, about the size of the needles he uses for EPO and Insulin and sticks it directly into his fistula. He doesn't think it's any big deal but I disagree. And the two times that he's had to stay in the hospital I've not only told the staff but literally taped a message to his fistula arm stating "NO needle sticks. AVF Fistula". Then I find out his nurse has been giving him Iron thru his fistula. Grrrr....maybe the nite before his clinics when he's asleep I should take a black marker and write "No Needle Sticks In Fistula" on his arm. 

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »

When I was at the clinic being checkout by the RN after a case of rigors in a home hemo treatment, she called the MD who ordered blood cultures and 500ml of saline.   She had a 15ga blunt waiting for me at the clinic and asked me to do a single canulation for administration of the saline and collecting the blood.   If I had known she was going to do that, I would have just left one of the needles in.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 10:36:15 PM »

I recently needed to go to a different clinic and the tech forgot to collect the blood for resting required at the clinic I was going to. The charge nurse at my clinic wanted to draw blood from my fistula and since I like her I decided to give her a hard time and said "I was told never allow blood to be drawn from my fistula".  It was funny since she freaked, and said we do this to you all the time, this continued for several minutes until I started laughing. She got her blood but left muttering in phillapino which made it even more fun.  The doctor in charge came ove and explained that the dialysis trained staff learned how to stick a fistula and I shouldn't let any one but dialysis staff stick me.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 08:54:05 PM »

Other than for dialysis, I forgot why needle sticks to a fistula should be avoided. Anyone?   ::)

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »

Altho I remember that needle sticks to a fistula (other than for the purpose of dialysis) should be avoided, I couldn't quite remember why. So, I did some reading and found out that if not done carefully, needle sticks can ruin a fistula (scarring and bleeding) and possibly cause infection. And as we all know, needles can also cause a painful infiltration. I also read that even if you don't yet have a fistula but dialysis is in your future, you should avoid needle sticks in both arms in order to protect the veins for future use. It was suggested that if blood needs to be drawn for labs or an IV inserted, the backs of hands should be used instead. Anyways, the internet has a lot on the subject. Bottom line: protect your "life line", protect your veins!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:36:36 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »