I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:28:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Car Trouble
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Car Trouble  (Read 3121 times)
Fabkiwi06

« on: April 26, 2016, 04:21:43 PM »

GRRRRRRRRR!

I'm currently driving a 2001 Subaru Outback AWD. It's a good car for the most part. It was my Grandma's and I bought it off her about a year ago when she upgraded. This past week, it's decided to give me nothing but headaches.

Last weekend, the break light came on. Crap. Took it to the mechanic on Monday. Was due for an oil change anyway. They said the break fluid was low and they topped it all up and said everything was good to go. Great.

Monday afternoon and Tuesday Morning (Today).. no problems. Got to my appointments. Got some gas. Great.

Was out running an errand this evening (Still Tuesday) and break light comes back on. GRRRRRRRR.

I don't think I have a leak... I'd notice if that much fluid was sitting under my car in the morning. Guess it's back to the garage tomorrow to see if they can find anything.

:banghead;

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 04:56:22 PM »

Same thing happened to my 2001 Honda Accord (89,000 miles).  Break light on.  Took it in and they filled it with new fluid and relined the breaks.  A week later, light on again. Took it in and they found a tiny leak that was enough to trigger the light.  Fixed the leak. So far, so good. Fingers crossed.  Hope yours is as easy to fix.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 05:52:51 PM »

Brake systems should NEVER need fluid to be added unless there is a leak.

The reservoir is large enough to allow for brake pad wear.  As the brakes wear you will see the reservoir getting lower.  Rather than add fluid it is time to replace the brakes.  As the wheel cyl's retract the fluid is pushed back into the reservoir.   If fluid had been added this would cause a massive overflow and most brake fluids are high damaging to paints.

Brake fluid will age, accumulate moisture from the atmosphere and will corrode the insides of metal tubing, wheel cyl's.  Most factory service manuals recommend flushing the system clean to extend system life.  Most owners do not bother and simply wait until something fails and replace major parts.  Far more expensive.   I too am guilty.   And as a retired mechanic I know better.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 05:56:37 PM »

Give it a break folks, the term for the thing that stops your car is brake, not break.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 06:50:56 AM »

lol   Until your brakes break!   Then you go until something stops you.  Like a tree or another car.   Ouch!    That would cost far more than fixing the brakes before they fail.
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 01:25:16 PM »

I'll be taking it in tomorrow - couldn't get it today. I know I'm chancing it a lot with driving around, but honestly I suspect it's an electrical issue as opposed to a brake issue. Had them checked thoroughly when I brought it in Monday. Still have plenty of pressure when I push the pedal. No leaks. Checked fluid level last night and it's still good.

I'll hold off on any drag racing for the time being, just in case  :P

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 10:46:43 PM »

If you do have a brake problem you can always use the engine to help slow the car down by down shifting out of (D)rive to a lower gear in an automatic while trying Emergency Brakes (Older cars with mechanical Emergency brakes/ Newer cars have electronic Emergency brakes and this may not work, just not sure). Shift to 2 then 1 when this is necessary. This can harm the transmission, but can save your life and more costly damage.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012