I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:55:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  What is the highest creatinine you've heard someone can live LONG TERM with?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is the highest creatinine you've heard someone can live LONG TERM with?  (Read 3206 times)
DialysisGoneFOREVER

« on: April 04, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »

Of course I'm talking about transplant patients. I know Ive heard transplant patients who've maintained a creatinine in the 2s for YEARS on end. Anyone heard higher than that?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 03:23:14 PM »

Creatinine is just a "Lab Result" so just like any other kidney transplanted or not it is a blood lab and when it gets to around 10 you have to go on dialysis.... or decide not to.

So, people CAN live with a creatinine of 5 or 6 but then you start getting symptomatic. 

I guess I'm saying Transplant or not a blood result is showing that kidney's function.

sahern

Frozen in Alaska

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 03:52:58 PM »

My creatinine went over 2 after two years of transplant.  It than slowly went to 5 over the next seventeen years in the last year after twenty years I had five heart cath procedures and six stents put in.  The die from the procedure took its toll and I had to finally start dialysis after almost 21 years.  Yes you can last long term over 2 creatinine.
DialysisGoneFOREVER

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 05:04:25 PM »

WOW sahern that is VERY enlightening! Did you feel okay with a creatinine of 5? Did you have any swelling or symptoms? Did you have a living donor or deceased donor?

Rerun, nephrologists have told me for years when your creatinine goes over 5 you start to feel sick and need to go on dialysis. Of course everyone is different but most people couldn't tolerate a creatinine over 5 for too long without dialysis or transplant.
sahern

Frozen in Alaska

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 10:35:52 PM »

I had a living donor. I was fine at five for three years.  The only thing was some muscle weakness in the legs. When my creatinine hit 7 I started to feel dizzy and knew it was time.  I was able to a very physical job working twelve hours a day for the last fifteen years. I chose to do PD so that was the end of that type of work for me.  I really miss it but we will see what life holds for me next.  Shaun
DialysisGoneFOREVER

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 04:37:33 AM »

Sahern, how long did it take you to get to a creatinine of 5? I'm hoping several years right?
traceww

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 07:34:50 AM »

When I was first diagnosed my creatinine was 6.8...it was nearly 8 years before I need dialysis.  Creatinine moved up very slowly to about 12 and then I finally felt short of breath and fatigued.  Everyone's different...I was fortunate to have the 8 years.  I felt essentially fine for most of that time.
sahern

Frozen in Alaska

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »

It was seventeen years. I followed the diet pretty well and always took my meds. I feel one of the things that helped was that I was always very active with work and play. Also I never really let stress get to me.
DialysisGoneFOREVER

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 06:16:28 PM »

Wow trace and sahern you guys are both amazing! You were able to live normally for YEARS on end with such high creatinine levels!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »