I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:14:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Diet Frustration
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diet Frustration  (Read 19507 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: March 22, 2016, 04:40:10 PM »

I am so damned frustrated right now.  I have been doing weight watchers for several weeks now and I added a kilo.  What the hell?
I cried at the cardiologist appointment today.  I have to lose weight for the transplant stuff but instead gain it.  I have halved my calories and am watching what I eat.
I am eating lean meats, fruits and vegetables.  Sigh.  Makes me cry over it all.  I am so frustrated right now.
I have asked for a nutritionist referral.  The cardiologist was so nice to me. He could see my frustration. 
He wants me to use this as a springboard to do even more. 
Got to put the big girl panties on and deal.  Right now the big girl panties are in a knot.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
hatedialysis2

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 05:22:19 PM »

could it be something other than diet?  Is your thyroid function in check?  It controls metabolism.

Also are you consuming enough healthy fats?   Check out this article   http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/tips/why-non-fat-isnt-the-answer/

Lastly, could the weight gain have been fluid?

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 05:57:15 PM »

I have been on diets most of my adult life.  Some succeed some failed.  The one thing I know is weight loss is a  that watch it on a short term and it will make you nuts this is very true for dialysis patient fluid gains, when you visit the facilities for eliminating solids all vary your weight by a amount that will upset you.  The other thing I learned was women have a tougher time loosing weight.  25 years ago when I was turning 40' I went from 320 pounds to 180 over a year, whil I enjoyed it the part I hated was the women at the diet place were bummed I would loose more weight they they did, the reason is that I weigh a lot more so I could eat more and loose weight faster. The other sure thing is the body will occasionally stop dropping weight and occasionally gain weight  in cycles.  A kilo gain may seem like a kick in the butt but if you keep your eye on the prize over time you will loose the weight you want to.  Some times it takes the body time to adjust but less food more exercise will work.  Please don't be dismayed,  if it was easy the world would be full of thin people.  Please treat your self kindly during the diet.  Follow the diet and visit your doctor and worry about your weight over a monthly value.  This is tough  with dialysis weigh in but give it a month or two and see how it goes, if at the end of a month if you still are un happy take your diet diary and go to the doctor and find out what's up.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 06:44:12 PM »

Don't know if your routine includes exercise or any kind of weight-lifting but muscle weighs more than fat.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »

Way back i the late 70's I had some problems and a very wise old Dr at the VA Hospital in Seattle to me a couple of things.

"Prehistoric man did not eat processed foods."

"If it come in a can or a box, you probably should NOT eat it."

"All things in moderation."

Most everything that is processed has SALT or sugar hidden in it, and most likely is not good for us to eat on a regular basis.

Many of the diet programs, whether it be books, or prepackaged meals, are often containing LESS salt for the first week.  Customers are thrilled to see an almost immediate weight loss.  Not realizing it is simply the bodies normal reaction to a reduction of salt.  If subsequent prepackaged meals are not of the same or less salt then the weight will return.

I myself try to follow a 'water diet'.  Most times we have learned from childhood when feeling slightly 'off' we ASSUME that we are hungry and eat something.   WRONG!   Most of the time we are only needing a small drink of water.   I happen to like water.  Bubbles cause me pain so I switched many years ago.

Even fluid restricted, a very small drink should not be cause for alarm, depending on how often.  Prior to meals I drink a bit more than that small glass, this takes up space in my stomach and I cannot eat as much, I get full quicker.  Especially if I consciously eat slowly.

I believe these small changes can make a large difference given enough time.  Not weeks, count years.  The slower the loss, the more likely it will remain lost.

I hope this gives you good ideas and hope.

Take Care,

Charlie B53
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 04:33:32 AM »

Like Mr Murphy I have been on one diet or another most of my adult life. I have been as high as 380 and as low as 235. When I first starting getting sick I was about 340. In the last year of dialysis I have painstakingly lost about 35 pounds. Still not enough for transplant center but getting there.

I find it very difficult when my week consists of work, dialysis, sleep, repeat every day. Does not allow much time for exercise. For me a simple walking program has always worked very well but I need the time not tied to a chair.

A reasonable diet (not too restrictive) and exercise to lose the weight slowly is best. Hard, but best for you. I read once that if you cut out too many calories all at once your body goes into defensive mode and tries to store more calories since it is not getting as many. I have NO idea if this is true but that has been my excuse and  I am sticking to it.

As one who has struggled with weight since high school (when all the sports kept it off) I wish you the best of luck. Stick to it and it will come off.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 07:03:33 AM »

If you try to starve to loose weight the body goes int starvation mode and it becomes difficult to loose weight.  If several weeks go by without weight loss it may pay to take a weekend off from the diet and splurge on the treats you are abstaining from.  There is a fine line between starving and getting the best weight loss possible.  One good thing as. A dialysis patient you get monthly blood tests.  Trying to get to your goal weight in a hurry can actually have negative effects. Good luck it's tough to get a diet going but worth the effort.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 10:11:40 AM »

Kit, I don't know how much you want to lose, but I have been very successful with an app called LoseIt. You keep a log of all your food intake AND your exercise.

I have read many places that the real key to losing weight and keeping it off is to keep that food diary. I lost 40 pounds. It took me about a year to do that. But I have kept it off. I STILL keep a log of what I'm eating.

Another strategy that I used is called "Full Plate Living." They recommend that 75% of every meal be high fiber. That fills you up, but doesn't add lots of calories.

And I heartily second what Charlie says. Stay away from processed foods. I know that cooking isn't your thing, but this is your health and your very life that we are talking about. I mentioned earlier to you about fixing up a week's worth of salads at one time. That takes me about 30 minutes and then I'm set for the week. I also plan out my dinners so I don't get caught without the food I need and cave in to something less nutritious.

These my seem like big steps, so only pick one at a time to implement. You CAN do it. Don't think of it as dieting, but rather taking control of your life.

:grouphug; :flower; :cuddle;

Sending love.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 12:43:03 PM »

I do a lot of freezer cooking. Maybe that can be one of your tools. I set aside a day every once in a while and cook several different meals. Each is individually packaged into single-serve freezer containers. Most recipes make either 4 or 8 servings. I fill up the freezer with my little freezer boxes and take out one meal at a time. Since it's all pre-sized, I don't have to worry about eating too much at once, and I never have to think too much about what I'm going to eat that day.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 01:40:11 PM »

It's a good thing that I like all vegetables, in all forms, fresh, frozen, and of course canned.

Salads are good, but one must find ways to change them up greatly as I get very tired of pert near the same thing time after time.

Some day, I will have teeth again.  When I do I WILL have those raw veggies and applies that I used to eat regularly, back when I didn't have any type of 'weight problem'.

Those crunchy fruits and veggies are very helpful, and not just at meal times.  They are great for snacks, high in fiber, lots of oral gratification.  Finger food!   Just try not to use any dip.

Another little thing I did was to sprinkle some of most any hot canned veggie over my salad and then either leave off the dressing or use less.  Switching to a vinegar and oil can sometimes have faw few calories and fat than prepared dressings.

Add up all the tips in this thread and you may find a nice slow easy weigiht loss that if you continue eating like this, the weight will NOT return.

Good Luck everyone,  Diets are not a temporary thing.  It has to become a whole new way of eating for your lifetime.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 01:55:01 PM »

I also deal with a very persnickety tummy. Salads make me ill now, used to be able to eat them all the time.
After my intestinal surgery I have had a very sensitive intestine.  I have given up flour products for the most part.
I am putting things into individual serving sizes in the house so when I go to get into it I have a serving size.
I have changed my dialysis snacks from pure carbs to either an apple, grapes, or carrots along with some Cheerios in a serving sized bag.
I talk myself out of the junk I usually have eaten.
I am using Lean Cuisine chicken dishes for my lunches and adding green beans or raw carrots in addition to the meal.

I need to up the exercise.  Cardiology says do not overdue it but I can return to the gym.  I plan to go three days a week.
However I need a but kicking to get going on it again.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 02:42:51 PM »

When you go to the store where do you park, if you go close to the store park further and walk, during dialysis do leg lifts for 5 minutes every hour, there are many ways to incense your exercise.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 03:42:18 PM »

I also deal with a very persnickety tummy. Salads make me ill now, used to be able to eat them all the time.
After my intestinal surgery I have had a very sensitive intestine.  I have given up flour products for the most part.
I am putting things into individual serving sizes in the house so when I go to get into it I have a serving size.
I have changed my dialysis snacks from pure carbs to either an apple, grapes, or carrots along with some Cheerios in a serving sized bag.
I talk myself out of the junk I usually have eaten.
I am using Lean Cuisine chicken dishes for my lunches and adding green beans or raw carrots in addition to the meal.

I need to up the exercise.  Cardiology says do not overdue it but I can return to the gym.  I plan to go three days a week.
However I need a but kicking to get going on it again.

Here's some butt kicking for you!  :boxing;

or this:

:Kit n Stik;

This is just butt exposing:

:sir ken;

Sorry about the salads not sitting well. That's a bummer. My salads have very few greens, though.  :thumbup;

Aleta

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 04:27:15 PM »

As usual Michael beat me to the parking tip.

Gym's can be a drag if you do not have a partner.   Pretty much the same with just taking regular daily walks.  Having a partner along and chatting while you walk makes it feel a lot like exercising.  And it will help you know when you are feeling better.  Initially it may be difficult to walk AND talk, until you start getting your body into a little bit better shape.  Then you will be able to yak freely while walking.  Trust me on this one.  I didn't realize it until I lived it.  Right now I may not be able to speak much at all after the first 100 yards!

Find a partner, family, Friend, Neighbor, someone willing to spend some time pretty regularly just walking.  You don't have to go far.  Maybe a lap around your neighborhood.  Build on that once it becomes easy.

Take Care,

Charlie B53
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 04:50:56 PM »

Don't know if your routine includes exercise or any kind of weightlifting but muscle weighs more than fat.

To clarify, depending on the type of exercise and/or weightlifting, it can make a person bulk and firm up. When you step on the scale, it's possible that any weight gain may actually be muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. Doesn't necessarily mean the person gained weight from eating or from fluid. So if a person is wanting to lose weight but also wants to be in good shape, they need to find out what kind of exercises to do that won't make them bulk up. If you notice, long distance runners are usually very lean. While they do have firm muscles, they are not big and "bulky" muscles. On the other hand, sprinters tend to have muscular arms and particularly muscular thighs. My point is, what you eat and what you do may or may not correctly be reflected when you step on a scale.

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 09:58:01 PM »

Sometimes I just need encouragement.  I know intrinsically what to do, just need to do it every day.  I bought a mini pedaler to use in my office regularly. Should arrive on Monday.  IF I use it while watching TV then I should get more exercise in each day than I do now.  It will do both arms and legs.  So committing to using it every day and watch my TV and pedal on it.

lifenotonthelist.com

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 06:57:56 AM »

That's great! I have an exer-cycle in my den, too. I got to the point that I was spending an hour or more on it in the evening while watching TV. Those calories were kind of effortless!

I'm almost back to the point where I can use it again. I get on it to warm up before my knee exercises now, but it takes concentration still. I'm looking forward to reaching the point where pedaling is natural again.

You can DO THIS! Every little step is a good one. Celebrate each little victory!

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

Aleta

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »

The mini bike arrived today and it sits by my desk.  I am having a Project Runway binge today on the TV so when they do the runway I am peddling through it.
I did 20 minutes so far today and 4 minutes hands and arms.

lifenotonthelist.com

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 12:54:21 PM »

The mini bike arrived today and it sits by my desk.  I am having a Project Runway binge today on the TV so when they do the runway I am peddling through it.
I did 20 minutes so far today and 4 minutes hands and arms.

Yeah!  :2thumbsup; :yahoo; :clap;

Way to go!  :cuddle;

Aleta

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 04:09:59 PM »

Good for you! Peddling a bike while watching TV is actually real exercise. Some of us only channel "surf".

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 04:13:36 PM »

Great upping your exercise will help, however if you try to judge progress day by day it will make you nuts pick a day like Friday and compare that so at least you have a week worth of effort.  Remember if a week goes by with only a minor loss don't be discouraged some times the body needs a rest and slows down weight loss.  It will pick up soon.  If it reaches 2 weeks then you may need to eat forbidden fruits over a weekend to convince the body that you are not in a famine. Finally make sure you are eating enough people think if they eat less then they should they will loose weight faster, there is a minimum amount you should eat and your docror or dietician can tell you how many calories that is.  If you eat too much less your body will go in to famine  mode and while you could still loose weight it will be harder than it should be.  You didn't put the weight on fast don't try to take it off too fast.  Good Luck!  I hope to read your comments when you get to the fun part, that's when it's easy and you enjoy your weekly weight check.  I will also say a prayer that this all works for you.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 09:29:48 PM »

I have had help through the Omada Program that Kaiser signed me up for through the internet.  Originally called the Prevent Program.  I have gone from 217 lbs to 206.2 lbs today.   I have followed their lifestyle changes and am finally having some success.   I kind of am keeping quiet about it all because I do not want to jinx it all.  I am working hard to keep this eating as a lifestyle change and not a diet.
I have gotten rid of all of the crap in the house.
I am slowly upping my exercise using my pedal bike. Trying to hit a goal of at least 20 minutes with it or more per day.
I saw the renal dietitian.
I have several renal cook books I am reading and trying to pull recipes from.
It is a slow process.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:33:27 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 06:34:41 AM »

Congrats, it sounds like you have found a good plan that you can live and work with.  It's tough at first but I think you will find it easier as time goes by.  Good Luck, though it sounds like you are making your own luck by taking the steps to success.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 07:34:56 AM »

.. I have gone from 117 lbs to 206.2 lbs today....

I really hope this is a typo!

Or you are taking an awful lot of Prednisone!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:33:04 PM by kitkatz » Logged
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 01:32:36 PM »

Lifestyle change is the way to do it! And then it just becomes habit.

You've got this. I know you are motivated.  :2thumbsup;

I'm rooting for you!

Aleta

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »