I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:21:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Kidney Project 2016 Q&A youtube video
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney Project 2016 Q&A youtube video  (Read 2906 times)
hatedialysis2

« on: February 14, 2016, 12:07:12 PM »

The kidney project created a medical implant device to replace the need for dialysis and transplants/immunosupressive drugs and has been in research phase for the past couple of years.  This subject was previously posted, I was going to send this as a reply but I got a warning message that the topic was over 120 days old and suggested that I have to start a new topic. 

Below is Q&A update that took place January 2016.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Phuo7biWI
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »

Thank you. That was very inspiring.  I wish them great luck and fortune.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:01:41 PM »

I only lasted 12 minutes.  Uggh

Just trying to listen to him about the cost of the device was exhausting.

:waiting;

hatedialysis2

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 04:39:33 AM »

I did take a break listening to the Q&A myself as they did take the time to explain things.  But for me it was worth the time to find out where they are progress wise with a device that can potentially get me off dialysis for the rest of my life and not have to Worry about finding a donor for transplant.  The good news is they seem to think that  they are ready to roll out for human clinical trials by 2017!
Hootie

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 07:30:30 AM »

Is that group for real? It just does not feel right the way they discussed the program.

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 07:40:06 AM »

I don't enjoy watching videos but did look at their website and found this update faq:
https://pharm.ucsf.edu/sites/pharm.ucsf.edu/files/kidney/media-browser/The%20Kidney%20Project%20-%20FAQ%203%200_1.pdf

The most interesting ting I saw is the following:
What is the status of pre-clinical testing?
Currently, we have tested components of the device successfully, but we still need to integrate these components into a single device that will be implanted and operated for at least 30 days.
To date (December 2015), we have demonstrated filtration as long as 24 days and vascular patency as long as 36 days in one experiment.
We are building large scale devices to test filter material for blood clot resistance. For the bioreactor, we are conducting experiments to demonstrate blockage of immunological molecules that can attack the cells. We are also comparing conditions inside the bioreactor that allow for cells to grow and remain healthy.

and

The Kidney Project – FAQ v3.0 kidney.ucsf.edu
Why do you not have a lot of investors? Is it too risky for them?
Investors have expressed interest in the concept of our project and have indicated their understanding of its potential. Additionally, they have also commented that their comfort with investing in our project would increase significantly once we can show them evidence of the device working in an animal for at least 30 days. This is what we are currently working on.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »