I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:43:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  How American Football can be a Metaphor for Life
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How American Football can be a Metaphor for Life  (Read 3317 times)
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« on: February 10, 2016, 10:05:20 PM »

I live in the Seattle area, and as such, am a Seahawks fan. As you may know, our beloved "Beast Mode" aka Marshawn Lynch, announced his retirement with a picture on Twitter during the Super Bowl. Since then, there has been a LOT of media activity around here about him and his legacy. I wanted to share this one piece from a local news guy, Jesse Jones. He's one of those consumer reporters who goes after the bad guys who try to scam us or give us customer service. He is also em-cee'd at the 2013 Breakfast of Hope at NW Kidney Centers. He is a kidney cancer survivor.

He wrote this piece about what Beast Mode/Marshawn Lynch means to him, and I thought I'd share it here.

I just want to take a moment to thank Marshawn Lynch for his work in Seattle and for what he did for me personally. He has no idea that he helped me. I never told him. In fact, only a few people know this story.
       Now that he’s retired, I’ll pass it along.
       For many of you, the Beast Quake run represented the best of Marshawn. It meant even more to me…
     While Marshawn was running rampant, I was on the eighth floor of UW Medical Center. I was suffering through kidney cancer treatment. I had gone Stage Four. The cancer that was confined to my kidney had raced its way to my lungs. My doctor, John Thompson at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance put me on a two week treatment of Interleukin 2. I didn’t know he was sending me to hell.
     It’s a drug that has horrible side effects. Let’s put it this way, they put you in intensive care when it’s adminstered. Your blood pressure drops w :boxing;as bursting through the line and blowing up defenders, it served as the inspiration I needed at the perfect time.
      What number 24 did to the Saints, was what exactly how I wanted to conquer cancer. I wanted to beat it down, humiliate it and do it with a smile. I was inspired and ready to keep fighting.
       It’s been five years since that day. I’m still here following your lead. Being patient when I have to be, and busting through life when it’s required. My problem is I can’t keep my mouth shut like you. I’m working on that.
       Marshawn, thanks for not only what you do, but how you do it. Your run changed the fortunes of a team, a city and my life.

:boxing;

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:06:43 AM »

I have only one word to say about Marshawn that word is CLASS
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:42:34 AM »

KarenInWA, has Marshawn Lynch said anything about what his plans are now?  Is he staying in the Seattle area?  I can certainly understand why you all love him so much.  He was a great player!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 06:13:40 PM »

I want him to retire before he gets really hurt.  He did a class job for us.

:cheer:

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 07:59:59 PM »

KarenInWA, has Marshawn Lynch said anything about what his plans are now?  Is he staying in the Seattle area?  I can certainly understand why you all love him so much.  He was a great player!

Lynch is Oakland CA through and through. He lives, breathes and bleeds Oakland. In fact, he opened his first Beast Mode store in Oakland during SB week last week. I hear it's going good so far!

https://www.beastmodeonline.com/pages/oakland-store

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »