I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:51:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  How can people do things like this?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How can people do things like this?  (Read 3920 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: February 03, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »

Before Christmas, I went out to walk my lil' dog. Two houses away, I came across a cat sitting on the sidewalk, obvious miserable, unable to walk, soaking wet, and missing most of the fur from his lower back legs. I *thought* it was the cat who belonged to the people who lived there, but he looked so awful that I couldn't be sure. I grabbed him, brought him in and called my vet. Once i got him inside, I realized how much he stank. I don't know how much of the soaking wet part was water and how much was urine. Since he could barely stand up, he was peeing on himself. I don't think he would have survived another night or two outside. The vet kept him overnight, donated her time, and a large portion of the "stuff" he needed at the beginning. He has a probable tumor (or two) and diabetes, but his biggest problem was neglect. She (vet) gave him a bath and said blood ran off him from the flea bites. This is why he had no fur on his hind legs.

I talked to the neighbor a couple of weeks later and was given some lame excuses and what I think were outright lies. These are pictures of what he looked like a day after I brought him back from the vet and a couple of weeks ago. The difference still astounds me.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
renalwife

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 05:14:42 PM »

Thank you for taking care of the cat.  How some people can be so uncaring in beyond me. 

It is JUST A CAT and we are just people.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:30:16 PM »

Deanne, you've done a good thing. I think people who love animals says a lot about their character. Bless this furry little soul. Good thing you came along! I've had to help strays and ferals and...well, don't even get me started. Each has their own reward. 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 08:57:03 PM »

When we moved here from Noth Seattle 20 years ago we brought the stray MaMa Cat that adopted us, and two of her kids.  We have lost them all to age.  They loved us a great manny years.

Since here we've taken in 3 dogs, 2 strays and a sheltered.

Have had a Couple more Mama Cats, each with litters.  Raised them all and adopted the kids out.

Now down to one Dog and a newer shelter Female cat/  Everyone got fixed while with us so we never had to deal with liters, much, except for the set I pulled out of the Barn attic just a few days old.  Bottle fed those babies.  When it came time to take them to the Saturday adopting showing the workers told me they would NEVER be able to place the black kittens, everyone wanted colors.  Let me tell you, bottle babies are the friendliest babies EVER.  They were the FIRST ones chosen that day.  All registered to homes with kids.

There are a couple of ferals around.  I leave the garage door up 6 inches by day so they can come in to eat and drink.  The black one must get too comfortable as I've noticed here still inside when I step out into the garage, now closed, at 2 a.m.  She just sits and looks at me, knowing I wont hurt her and I will open that door in the morning so she will be free again.  She is getting comfortable.  Wish she would make up her mind as she stays out at night and it is FREEZING.

I wouldn't wish that on any animal.

But I'm just a big ole softy.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 12:16:35 AM »

I just thought of this and hope all you fellow animals lovers will take it seriously, particularly those of you with kidney disease or transplants. Please be very very careful when handling an animal you do not know. Even your own pets may react differently to you when they are sick or injured. Scratches are bad enough but bites that go deep enough to nick your bone, such as your knuckle bone, can cause serious bone infection. Those of you with compromised immune systems have to be careful! Your family and friends care about you and if you want to help an animal, please call on someone to help you out rather than risk infection. I had a cat who was always very affectionate and gentle, except when I'd take it to the vet. He became an entirely different "beast" then. One time he bit me as I took him out of his carrier at an appointment and the vet got so upset and afraid for me, she had me go immediately to my doctor for antibiotics. I didn't bleed much from the bite but she said she saw it and thought my cat may have nicked a knuckle bone. Yup...it swelled up big time but because I was started on antibiotics right away is probably what saved me from bone infection. Anyway, we all want to help animals, they depend on us humans BUT please think about what you'd be risking. If possible, try to call someone to come help you with our furry friends. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:20:02 AM by PrimeTimer » Logged

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 12:36:36 PM »

I hope I haven't offended anyone or came off as lecturing or treating people like children, I apologize if I made anyone feel that way, was not my intent. It's just that I remembered from experience when mine own cat bit me and how scared the vet was for me possibly getting bone infection. Up until then, I had never thought about it. I've helped lots of animals I was unfamiliar with, always carefully approaching them but never really afraid of being attacked or bitten. My husband is the same way but now I tell him to not try to pet animals he doesn't know because I know his ESRD puts him more at risk of getting sick or an infection. Anyways, animals do need our help and attention and I think anyone willing to give it to them must be a good person. We just have to be careful. 

Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 03:17:46 PM »

You gave a good reminder.  :2thumbsup;

I'm not offended, and I think about it whenever I touch an unknown animal, but I also know the risks probably won't stop me. I doubt I'd turn away from a furry creature due to the risks, but I don't think I'll ever touch a bird or reptile due to the risks from them. I hated not going into the animal buildings at the fair last summer, but the risks from so many animals in a confined space seemed scary.

Deanne

Blake nighsonger

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 08:04:37 PM »

thanks that story touched ....... I FEEL JUST LIKE THE CAT must  OF FElt AFTER YOU TOOK HIM IN....... BET HE FElt  SOOOOO MUCH BETTER,CAN YOU AMAGIN!!!! THATS HOW I felt after dialysysing...... lost 30 pounds after 2nd. 4 hour session!!!! can breath like normal haven't in long time .Bet cat is looking forward to getting back outside. thanks
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 10:41:31 AM »

I am not a cat person but I love animals my wife is a cat person. Over the years we have rescued 8  cats who have chosen us, each of them has providen much to our lives.  The best way I know to judge people is to see how they treat animals.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »

My lil' 4-legged nursing home is stressing me out!

My dachshund spent Tuesday night in the animal hospital for colitis. I picked her up Wednesday evening and left Jack there. I thought I was going to put Jack to sleep because his tumor was growing and oozing (gross!). The vet said the problem wasn't tumor growth, but tissue death caused by a cut-off blood supply due to the tumor. Instead of having him put to sleep, he spent the night and went into surgery this morning. Cha-ching $$$$!

The vet is pretty amazing. The vet I usually see at that clinic is gone and he's filling in, so I'm sure he's swamped. He doesn't even know me, but on top of taking care of two of my pets in emergencies within the same week, he said his wife had surgery this morning and he left her resting in the hospital to do surgery on my cat.

Deanne

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 03:37:38 PM »

You are a good furbaby Momma.

:pray;

casper2636

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 05:19:14 PM »

Love to hear a heart warming event! He looks very comfy on your sink! Are you keeping him? What a doll! God bless your tender, caring heart! He looks like my boy, Trotter, and he is a pistol! You have a new love in your life, forever.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »