I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:37:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Bit of a self inflicted bad day
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bit of a self inflicted bad day  (Read 4596 times)
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« on: January 29, 2016, 04:16:52 PM »

Now I feel a bit sick of myself. First I mess up some moderator things which had to be sorted by Kitkatz, but I thought most of the day that I had deleted some thread which made me feel sick and useless. And after visiting MIL in hospital who had a heart attack I decided to happily connect myself to the machine like normal. Needles went in fine. But after turning the machine on my venous pressure didn't go below 250 with a speed of 200. I tried with the syringe and couldn't get blood 'in' at all, and only 'out' with difficulty. Venous pressure rose to 350 so I left my blood in the machine and feel scared stiffles that I've clotted my fistula.
It still feels fine (pulsing and buzzing) but I've never had it before and now I'm contemplating trying again tonight or waiting till tomorrow morning.
Dialysis ward in hosp closed for the night, and hubby sound a sleep after exhausting day with work and MIL and FIL of cause so I'm not going to bother him.
So should I finish my thermos of espresso and take a Diazepam, try to sleep and try again tomorrow or try again in a few minutes?
Thanx for reading.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:10:42 PM »

I vote for tomorrow. Good Luck.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 06:00:33 PM »

I'm on PD and know nothing about your situation, but I wish you the best.  I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 06:46:38 PM »

So very sorry about the day you had and it sounds like it was QUITE the day! Please don't be too hard on yourself tho. The work you do as a moderator is much appreciated. You're probably like me, I tend to beat myself up if I at all think I've let anyone down and well, you have NOT let anyone here down I am sure of that!

Wish I knew what to tell you about your dialysis tonite (altho by now you've probably already made a decision). I think if it were my husband and I had to leave blood in the circuit, I would wait and try again tomorrow. Maybe you just had a "bad stick". Glad you can still feel the thrill/buzzing and bruit. Will send good thoughts your way. Don't worry about anybody but yourself tomorrow!

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Sibella

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 07:07:59 PM »

Sending good thoughts. Let us know how things turn out.

November 2014 GFR 22 (diagnosed Stage IV )
January 2015 GFR 26
March 11, 2015 Kidney Biopsy
September 17, 2015 GFR 25
December 9, 2015 GFR 15
January 25, 2016 GFR 13 (Officially Stage V)
March 8, 2016 GFR 11 :(
April 7, 2016 Fistula created in dominate arm :(
April, 2016 eGFR 7
May 16, 2016 Peritoneal Catheter surgery
June 10, 2016 Started CAPD
November 7, 2019 Transplanted :)
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 06:03:33 AM »

O thank you Vt, thank you kickingandscreaming, thank you PT and thank you Sibella

:cuddle;

So I tried again this morning and the pressures were even worse so I got myself off again, but this time got my blood back. Rang the hosp, they rang my HHD nurse who didn't answer my call  ::).
By that time I had dissuaded my darling hubby to bring me to hosp for a scan so that I could try it one more time with a sharp somewhere in the fistula.
Hhd nurse calls back to tell me to come in to hosp so they can try, I said I'm not having anyone in there touching my BH's. No they would connect me with sharps, so I replied that I'll do that myself at home.

So I did, and I'm okay. Pressures settling down nicely. I asked for some bloodwork done this week to check if I caused myself an infection. And I will have an appointment with neph arranged soon (apparently some new docs in hosp thought it irresponsible (?) that they'd never seen me. And I was just so happy I agreed to see them once a year. It is nearly a year now do fair enough.

Once again thank you all for your sweet and thoughtful words.

Love you all an awful lot, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »

No matter how any times you done something if you had a bad day, tired, irritable, cranky there comes a time when the best thing to do is punt and start over the next day.  Clearly you were having one of those days.  The problem is you seem super competent and you probably rarely have one of those days.  Don't beat yourself up, sunrise signals a new day and it won't be one of those days.  Personally I believe in going to bed and staying there on one of those days.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:42:23 PM by Michael Murphy » Logged
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 09:48:26 AM »

Thanx Michael, yeah I wished I had stayed in bed lol.

Love, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 12:54:48 PM »

Glad your venous pressure is back down today, Cas. I agree, I wouldn't have let them mess with your BH's either. I think it's great that you used a sharp on your own and got things going again. Seems your "take charge" attitude overcame the hurdle in the way. Hopefully the pressure problem was just due to a bad stick, sometimes happens to my husband. It's harder to adjust the venous during treatment than the arterial but sometimes we have to or "pillow it" once we find the right spot. You know what they say S-it Happens! If you continue having pressure problems hopefully you can have a vascular surgeon check your fistula and do a fistulagram, maybe it needs a little ballooning (my husband often does). And try not to worry too much (we know you are but try not to) about infection. Please let us know how labs turn out.

You rock, Girl!  :thumbup; 

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Sibella

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »

Glad things improved. I am still learning the language so I don't understand all the details. Still cheering you on.

November 2014 GFR 22 (diagnosed Stage IV )
January 2015 GFR 26
March 11, 2015 Kidney Biopsy
September 17, 2015 GFR 25
December 9, 2015 GFR 15
January 25, 2016 GFR 13 (Officially Stage V)
March 8, 2016 GFR 11 :(
April 7, 2016 Fistula created in dominate arm :(
April, 2016 eGFR 7
May 16, 2016 Peritoneal Catheter surgery
June 10, 2016 Started CAPD
November 7, 2019 Transplanted :)
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 03:43:36 PM »

Thank you PT and Sibella. And I'm curious for my labs too. My fistula is not that big so the new BH is just 2 fingers above the arterial.
I'll keep y'all informed

:cuddle;      :cuddle;

Lots of love, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »

Thank you PT and Sibella. And I'm curious for my labs too. My fistula is not that big so the new BH is just 2 fingers above the arterial.
I'll keep y'all informed

:cuddle;      :cuddle;

Lots of love, Cas
:2thumbsup;

Great things come in small packages or in this case, tight spaces! Husband's new arterial buttonhole is also about 2 fingers from his venous. Makes needling and taping more fun and dialysis people wouldn't want it any other way! BTW, I vote for not doing any laundry on Sunday!   

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »