I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:23:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Talker on MS Version 10
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Talker on MS Version 10  (Read 3709 times)
talker

Talkers oil painting

« on: January 22, 2016, 12:41:17 PM »

Oh for the good old days of MS versions DOS 3.3.
Sheesh, not concerned with technology progressing, but is ludicrous the 'changes for the sake of change.
So I went from WIN XP (enjoyed it), WIN 8.1 (hated it), down to WIN 7(tolerable)., and now to the highly touted WIN 10.

The free upgrade notice sat in my taskbar mocking me for many weeks.

My on-board graphic nVida card suffered from a modern driver that WIN 10 said was 'incompatible'.
So finally did install a new version of the graphic card.
Now try for the free windows upgrade.
Nope, still showing the old graphic card and 'incompatible' notice.
System showed the new graphic card, but the 'free upgrade' notice refused to recognize the newly installed graphic card.
Googling for help with this issue showed that I had a lot of company with a similar problem.
Gads, how I dislike this kind of trouble.

Doing a search for a downloadable compatibility checker was a troublesome task, that would override that 'incompatible' notice. Did finally find one, download and save it. Run it, worked like a charm, only one problem though, it didn't change anything. Recalling some old tricks, I ran that compatibility checker over and over. Finally saw a new notice in the taskbar.
'This PC is compatible', ah sweet success.

Will admit here that the free Win 10 upgrade went smooth.

Do I like Win 10, HA not at all, as some desirable 'looks and feels' are missing.
So now I need to fine tune and add / remove things until I obtain the look and feel that I want.

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »

Windows 10 has now rendered my wireless laser printer null and void.  I have downloaded the "new" drivers from HP more times than I care to count.  The sad thing is that printers are so cheap now that getting a new one is probably less expensive than the cost of my time to fart around with the one that I have. 

Anyone want a fairly new HP wireless LaserJet printer?  Works great as long as you haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet.   :banghead;
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 02:04:01 PM »

Windows 10 has now rendered my wireless laser printer null and void.  I have downloaded the "new" drivers from HP more times than I care to count.  The sad thing is that printers are so cheap now that getting a new one is probably less expensive than the cost of my time to fart around with the one that I have. 

Anyone want a fairly new HP wireless LaserJet printer?  Works great as long as you haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet.   :banghead;
Printers were / are the most finicky and troublesome items to install, even going back to DOS days..
Add wireless to the mix and you got total insanity setting it up.
I use an old HP Laser Jet 1320 as a mule for printing, Ha, maybe I have an unannounced surprise waiting.

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 08:14:11 PM »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAaaa

Now you understand why I STILL have my OLD Dell running Win 98.  Not stock.  I tweaked the hell out of it long long ago.  Restart acouple times a year.  It is very stable.

I have three dell GX620's, all different size boxes but specs almost identical.  All running XP Pro sp3.  And again, I tweaked the spit out of them. and only restart them whatever AVG or something requires it.  Can't remember when/if I've had a blue screen other than because of a toasted drive or motherboard.

This Latitude D620 I've rebuilt.  Son gave it too me after G'son poured a can of Mtn Dew into it.  Let some smoke come out of it.  After rebuild I tweaked it pretty hard and not a problem for 3, or 4 years already.  I swapped in another drive so today it is running XP Pro.  A clone of the tweaked one from the Opti's.

I keep a few drives on the shelf, clones of the laptop's Vista, and XP PRo and the old Win98.  That way if I ever total any machine I can just swap a drive, ppower pak, whatever, and be back up and running with a minimum of time lost.

Ain't it great to have spares.

MS is always rushing in attempt to be THE latest and greatest, that they shove out the door the buggiest OS in existance.  Knowing it is going to fail and hoping that they will find the bugs and fix them before the public does.

I don't want any part of that.

So MS obsoletes all their previous systems.  Refuses any support.  Unless you have mega-bucks to pay for it, then they will still take care of XP.  Just not for the general public, only those that pay dearly.  I am not paying ransom to keep using my computers.

And I'm not taking any FREE upgrade that I KNOW is going to have serious problems.

Am I biased?

I'm done here.

Take Care All!

Charlie B53
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 02:12:42 PM »

Windows 10, using IE 11 (don't care for MS's browser Edge)
        AND
OOH ooh, still a problem with inability to access the 'Profile Info and Modify Profile'.

(Did post on the SMF forum about this type of error.)
 (am a registered SMF forum member)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:49:44 PM by talker » Logged

Be Well

talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 03:05:41 PM »

So far have received this response from SMF forum:

Re: 'Profile Info and Modify Profile' inaccessible

« Reply #1 on: Today at 05:50:24 PM »

A couple of things.

This sounds like a support question which should be posted here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=147.0

And after that problem is resolved, you need to upgrade to 2.0.11 as there have been many security fixes along the way.

Be Well

talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 04:11:34 PM »

Hey Charlie B53,
Unable to answer if any others are having any problems with windows versions and other browsers.
Believe my IE 10 browser and Windows XP, did work the 'Profile Info and Modify Profile' and could make changes.
Not so with Windows 10 and IE11.

Can IHD Admins follow-up?

Also received this to a second issue I has asked on:

(at SMF forums)
Re: 'Profile Info and Modify Profile' inaccessible

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:34:15 PM »

The topic was moved ;)

About your issue (and the obvious requirement to update your forum!), does it also happen with another browser? Which theme are you using?

Be Well

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 06:38:02 AM »

Have you considered opera or chrome as alternate browsers, I tend to use IE or safari depending on OS. However I load both opera and chrome to check comparability and to have a other way.  The other thing to check is if yo have compatibility mode on your version of IE.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 07:09:51 AM »

I switched to the Firefox browser many many years ago.  I rarely ever open IE.  I have installed Chrome but it feels too different and I revert back to Firefox.

Just last month I started to get set up to make my Baxter order.  Firefox wouldn't work, kept getting some 'securitiy' failure.  I ended up calling in the order.  Also talked to their tech and learned I needed to provide an 'exception' for the sharesource site.  OK, did that.  Yesterday tried to place this months order and it still would not work.   Called Baxter tech, double checked that I had spelled out na.shoaresource.com correctly.  Still didn't work.  They cannot expllain why and advised me to use IE.

I used Chrome.  It worked fine.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 07:39:48 AM »

Microsoft is now forcing upgrades to Windows 10. They're starting to install it on computers, whether the owners want it or not. I see a class-action lawsuit in the near future. This will cause a big problem for my dad. He's in his 80s and when things down't work smoothly after the upgrade, he won't know what to do. I found an app that's supposed to stop the installation and sent it to him. I hope it works. If anyone else is interested: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »