I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:57:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Weird/Strange Food habits
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weird/Strange Food habits  (Read 3612 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: January 15, 2016, 11:43:21 PM »

I have a few weird food habits.  I eat my french fries form largest to smallest.  I think ti has to do with the large fries being hot so I eat them first.
Also do not touch my food.  I hate it when someone else touches my food and my family loves to do it just to irritate me.
Plus I will usually eat one thing at a time.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 07:17:56 AM »

I often save the best for last.

Generally though I will eat mostly one thing at a time, I will take small bites, tastes, of the other items. 

And I ALWAYS eat the meat first, while it is the hottest. With NO additives at the table, like catsup, steak sauce, etc., other than the juices that seep out of the meat.

An exception for hotdogs and hamburgers, then got to have good dark grainy mustard! Sometimes with horseradish!

gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 12:31:27 PM »

ohhhh i have tons of weird food issues!

I too eat one thing at a time (unless its one of the many random things I enjoy mixed together -- like salad and mashed potatoes or salad and lasagna-- weird i know. i learned this as a trick to deal with another issue )
I am a condiment junky. i love sauces. on everything. pre-dialysis I was horrible. (mmm bananas with french dressing, how i miss thee)
Id prefer my food not be touching. mainly because I will get very ill if I am eating something soft and it has an unexpected crunch (this is where the mixing trick comes in lol)- changes of any kind, or something thats is 'off' about it, i will get sick, right there, no warning.
likewise, I cant drink anything that looks like water but isnt. (sprite ) without first telling myself repeatedly while drinking it that it is not water. or again, i will get sick.
I cant chew gum without swallowing it. I have to actually make myself spit it out, and its a task. (im like a toddler?!)
Cant set my utensils down on the table. dont know why but it freaks me out.

And I kid you not, every single time I go out to eat with people, it seems I am always the 'lucky' one who gets the hair, or defect in my food. then I am put off from eating.

You would think, with all the food issues I have that I would be really skinny, but noooooo

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 05:13:24 PM »

No problem with silver at home, restaurants I have to have a foled napkin at least two layers laid out to set my silver on.  I know I've watched the Ladies wipe down the tables, but who knows how old is that bucket of water they dunked that rag in?

No to picky about food 'coziness', mashed potatoes are good if peas and carrots, or corn is used instead of gravy.

Salad HAS TO BE on a separate plate, or bowl, and eaten first, or I won't touch it.  And here again, sometimes I will sprinkle a little green beans, or corn, over my salad to give it a little 'extra' contrast with the addition of a heated vegetable on the cold salad.

Condiments, not so much.  Salad additions yes.  Meat sauces, never, except for the hotdogs and hamburgers then it's ON.

Cranberries, any way they come in a can.  Jellied, I can sit a eat it with a spoon for a snack, but it is good along with turkey, chicken, stovetop stuffing.  Wife and I had the lunch special on day at the local place.  Turkey and dressing.  But NO cranberries.  I made it to Krogers and back before the salad was set.  The cranberrys made the meal complete.  lol  They may thnk I'm crazy. But that's O.K. because I already know that I am!

Take Care,

Charlie B53

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:02:20 AM »

Creamy peanut butter sandwich on decent whole wheat bread, topped with bread and butter dill pickles!  So good I usually have to make a second one!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 12:55:49 PM »

Now dont say oh yuck until you try this one. Creamy peanut butter on one slice of bread, mayonnaise on one slice of bread, then a sliced cucumber on the peanut butter and then place them together so it is a sandwich. I could eat 5 of these in a row.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 06:06:12 PM »

Wife and Daughter can eat cukes like now one else's business.  Me, well not so much.  A few small pieces in a salad, or as Bread and Butter Dills O.K. Fine.

Now if you were to make that same sandwich using slices of say a 6 inch long zucchini or yellow squash, count me IN!
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 08:47:19 PM »

If I put cucumbers on my husband's salad, he wants them peeled. Don't know if that's weird or not but I don't like peeling. 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 09:15:23 PM »

I think I read somewhere that peeling the cukes makes them less gassy!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 01:08:18 AM »

I think I read somewhere that peeling the cukes makes them less gassy!!!

Then that fact right there will serve as a motivator. "Honey, let me peel the cucumbers for you...really I don't mind..."

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 11:52:54 AM »

I always thought how we half-peel the cukes was to give an appearance.  Contrasting stipes of green/white of the outer instead of solid green, makes for a better looking salad.  Now that you mention it, I have seen cuke/onion salads that were totally peeled.

Never thought about it.  I have made lots of Pickled cuke/onion slices in vinegar but never learn to peel them all the way.  I may have to try it, I might like it.  Well, I know I like them after soaking in vnegar.  I will have to try a few bites fully peeled BEFORE I add the vinegar.

I always have a couple of cuke vines in the garden every year.  Last year was a bust, too rainy, wet, nothing did well.  Not even tomatoes.

Will have to wait and see how this year goes.

Take Care,

Charlie B53
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »